Hughes or Kakko

Jerzey

Hughes or Kakko?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Who should Shero pick?

16 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I can't help but feel a little ungrateful about the draft. Obviously a mixed bag knowing NJ is going to get a great player but NYR and PHL also pick high. I hate seeing them get anyone good. 

People are getting too worked up over this. Could’ve been way worse, like PHI and NYR picking 1 and 2 and us picking 5th. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I can't help but feel a little ungrateful about the draft. Obviously a mixed bag knowing NJ is going to get a great player but NYR and PHL also pick high. I hate seeing them get anyone good. 

We have the first overall pick. There’s literally nothing to be ungrateful about. I don’t like rivals getting good players, but I’m more worried about the Devils getting good players.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

People are getting too worked up over this. Could’ve been way worse, like PHI and NYR picking 1 and 2 and us picking 5th. 

It could also have been a bad year with someone like Nail Yakupov at the top. Ray has 2 world class players to choose from. Great “problem” to have. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

It could also have been a bad year with someone like Nail Yakupov at the top. Ray has 2 world class players to choose from. Great “problem” to have. 

Some people just need things to complain about, IMHO. 

As long as Pavel Zacha is around, I’m all set. :) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

They say one tournament shouldnt make a difference for the draft. But Caufield sky rocketed from like 20-15th to 5th overall since the U18

Certainly helps when you have Jack Hughes feeding you outstanding passes.

That's not to say that Caufield isn't a very good player in his own right but Jack makes things a hell of a lot easier when he's feeding you passes into scoring areas early and often.  

But I don't think Caufield ends up being drafted at 5 like Button thinks.    Maybe I'm wrong but I believe Cozens and Turcotte get drafted before Caufield does.     

Fearless Prediction(which will most likely be wrong)  :   Caufield is drafted at 8.    (I pray for him and his sanity that it's not Edmonton)

Edited by glenwo2

7 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

Certainly helps when you have Jack Hughes feeding you outstanding passes.

That's not to say that Caufield isn't a very good player in his own right but Jack makes things a hell of a lot easier when he's feeding you passes into scoring areas early and often.  

But I don't think Caufield ends up being drafted so high like Button thinks.    Maybe I'm wrong but I believe Cozens and Turcotte get drafted before Caufield does.     

it also helps Hughes to have a winger able to bury most of his opportunities, he's a real scorer. Most goals i've seen from him he was really sniping the puck, not like he always just standing in the crease for an easy tap in. His shot is deadly.

I also think he won't be picked 5th. Im thinking around 10

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

it also helps Hughes to have a winger able to bury most of his opportunities, he's a real scorer. Most goals i've seen from him he was really sniping the puck, not like he always just standing in the crease for an easy tap in. His shot is deadly.

I also think he won't be picked 5th. Im thinking around 10

I pray for him and his sanity that it's not Edmonton he ends up getting drafted to.   

Yeah there's McDavid but...it's still the Edmonton "Underachieving-Never-Making-The-Playoffs-Except-for-one-Flukey-Year" Oilers. 

Edited by glenwo2

7 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

They say one tournament shouldnt make a difference for the draft. But Caufield sky rocketed from like 20-15th to 5th overall since the U18

I personally had Caufield at 11th before the U18's, he's still in that area but I've been flirting with moving him up to 9th after the tournament. With how late in the scouting cycle it is, that's kinda the biggest impact one tournament can have for 1st round talent players, later round players can shift around so much more but by now opinions are pretty solidified on the top prospects. That's why I think it's ridiculous that people think Kakko is gonna pass Hughes just because of a good World Championship, these kids have been getting scouted for 2-3 years now, two weeks isn't gonna make a drastic difference.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Maybe it will work out like 2017 with our rival getting left with the bust at #2!

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Maybe it will work out like 2017 with our rival getting left with the bust at #2!

I think it's a little early to call him a bust... he might not be living up to expectations at the moment, but he's only 20 years old.  Back to back 30 point seasons isn't anything special, but as he matures and continues to get better I wouldn't be surprised to see him put up 50-60 points for a while.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I think it's a little early to call him a bust... he might not be living up to expectations at the moment, but he's only 20 years old.  Back to back 30 point seasons isn't anything special, but as he matures and continues to get better I wouldn't be surprised to see him put up 50-60 points for a while.

Agree with the bolded, and "bust" is subjective...if Patrick becomes a solid NHLer who plays in 1000+ games (but doesn't necessarily put up eye-popping numbers), I wouldn't call him a bust.

But his career is definitely off to a disappointing start...and the fact that the Flyers themselves are already talking about him possibly not being a 1C or 2C isn't a great sign.  It's obviously a minuscule sample (just two years in the NHL, his age 19 and age 20 seasons), but he's been Zacha-like in his production...teases that have you hoping he's figuring things out, then long periods of invisibility (especially offensively).  Nolan had a 9 points in 10 games stretch early last year (I'm sure that gave Flyer fans a lot of hope, that Year 2 was going to be a huge step forward), and later had a 19 points in 25 games stretch...so basically, 28 out of his 31 points on the season came in 35 games.  That's three points in his other 37 GP, and sure, I fully get that there's peaks and valleys with many players...but it's much more like bottomless canyons with him...he went through a 24-game drought with no goals and just two assists, and finished out the season with only one assist over his last 9 GP.  I'm sure Flyer fans are getting frustrated at this point. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Agree with the bolded, and "bust" is subjective...if Patrick becomes a solid NHLer who plays in 1000+ games (but doesn't necessarily put up eye-popping numbers), I wouldn't call him a bust.

But his career is definitely off to a disappointing start...and the fact that the Flyers themselves are already talking about him possibly not being a 1C or 2C isn't a great sign.  It's obviously a minuscule sample (just two years in the NHL, his age 19 and age 20 seasons), but he's been Zacha-like in his production...teases that have you hoping he's figuring things out, then long periods of invisibility (especially offensively).  Nolan had a 9 points in 10 games stretch early last year (I'm sure that gave Flyer fans a lot of hope, that Year 2 was going to be a huge step forward), and later had a 19 points in 25 games stretch...so basically, 28 out of his 31 points on the season came in 35 games.  That's three points in his other 37 GP, and sure, I fully get that there's peaks and valleys with many players...but it's much more like bottomless canyons with him...he went through a 24-game drought with no goals and just two assists, and finished out the season with only one assist over his last 9 GP.  I'm sure Flyer are getting frustrated at this point. 

That's what can happen though when scouts go by too many "projections". He was often injured so they had to project that over a full season the numbers he'd get and all would be impressive etc etc And he was ranked #1 for years up until Hischier kept rising and rising until he took over because of his recent play, he showed what he could do rather than going on projections with Patrick

17 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

That's what can happen though when scouts go by too many "projections". He was often injured so they had to project that over a full season the numbers he'd get and all would be impressive etc etc And he was ranked #1 for years up until Hischier kept rising and rising until he took over because of his recent play, he showed what he could do rather than going on projections with Patrick

To be fair, he didn't miss any games during the 2015-16 WHL season...he put up 132 points in 93 GP that year (regular season and playoffs).  He did miss a slew of games the following season of course...enough that I think he was no longer the clear cut #1...and yeah, at the same time Hischier has a fine season in Halifax in the Q, and suddenly the #1 became much more debatable.  Even though Nolan's early NHL returns haven't been mind-blowing, he has played in 145 games over his first two seasons...he's missed 19 games...so it's not like he's Mike Cammalleri levels of fragile so far as an NHLer. 

Also to be fair, Patrick still has time on his side...but if I'm a Flyer fan, as much as I'm trying to be patient, I really need to see some real improvement and production in Year 3...or at the very least, a lot more hints of it coming fairly soon.  Not that I ever mind a Flyer #2 overall pick never panning out as hoped...or their fans being pissed about it...

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1