Hughes or Kakko

Jerzey

Hughes or Kakko?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Who should Shero pick?

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

To be fair, it's basically like they're employees of the team, and they are in and around the action and the team on a daily basis.  When Doc was doing Play by Play for us I would have held his opinion in pretty high regard in terms of his thoughts on the team.  Granted Cangi is no Doc, but no one is.

25 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Cangi was spot on though. When you have the chance to build your team deep down the middle with elite centers like Pitt did you do it. He made a good point about how much quicker Crosby and the Pens saw success than Ovi and the Caps did. 

1) They are not "around the team" in the sense that they are going to know who they are going to draft, so as to make their word definitive, and 

2) I didn't say i don't hold his thoughts in high regard, its a very valid opinion and its probably correct. Does hearing the announcer state his opinion mean to me that i can rest easy because i know he's definitely right? Not even close. His being right and someone saying "well, that puts it to bed" are two different things. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

1) They are not "around the team" in the sense that they are going to know who they are going to draft, so as to make their word definitive, and 

2) I didn't say i don't hold his thoughts in high regard, its a very valid opinion and its probably correct. Does hearing the announcer state his opinion mean to me that i can rest easy because i know he's definitely right? Not even close. His being right and someone saying "well, that puts it to bed" are two different things. 

It was put to bed when Shero did everything he could to tell us who he’s picking but say Jack Hughes’ name anyway lol.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

It was put to bed when Shero did everything he could to tell us who he’s picking but say Jack Hughes’ name anyway lol.

That I can agree with. 

He's wearing #6 in this tournament...are we giving him Andy Greene's number?

I say yes, along with his car and his wife if he wants them. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

That I can agree with. 

He's wearing #6 in this tournament...are we giving him Andy Greene's number?

I say yes, along with his car and his wife if he wants them. 

“Andy we have some bad news. Taylor is getting your C and Jack is getting your number. And that’s not the worst part...”

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Some good quotes in this article: https://www.nhl.com/devils/news/worlds-hughes-breaks-out-in-final-game-of-tournament/c-307533266

Blashill finally gives Jack props and there's some tidbits from Hynes: 

Hynes also noted Hughes' speed and skating, his vision and hockey sense and his playmaking abilities before concluding: "There's no question, he's a game-breaking player and will develop into a franchise player that will help drive a team and play a top line center role in the NHL.

"If he does end up becoming a New Jersey Devil," Hynes continued. "I think that the fact that I've had the opportunity to get to know him and a relationship has been created and we've been working together, that's a big step in having a young talented player feel comfortable in his first year in the NHL to help him be able to make an impact sooner rather than later."

• Like 7

2 hours ago, jagknife said:

Lord knows she could use a better D

Ouch ouch triple ouch!

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, glenwo2 said:

Jack Hughes HIGHLIGHTS from the IIHF Experience :

Can't wait for Draft Night!!  :yay:

Fake news. Kakko scored a goal against Team Ethiopia and two empty netters early in the tournament. That usurps every single scouting report because Kakko already plays against men and Hughes clearly didn’t have a good meaningless tournament because he only had three points.

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, glenwo2 said:

Wow. The way he ends up with the puck so often is really incredible. And all those missed chances from his beautiful feeds will fit right in here!!! 

I kid, I kid. Watching him set up Hall or Palms is gonna be magic. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Wow. The way he ends up with the puck so often is really incredible. And all those missed chances from his beautiful feeds will fit right in here!!! 

How about him on the same line as Bratt (another wizard with the puck)?

21 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

How about him on the same line as Bratt (another wizard with the puck)?

Absolutely. The fun thing with a guy like him is he makes other players better. This is the kind of guy who could do wonders for a guy like Zacha assuming Zacha slides to wing. 

A power play with Hall, Nico, Palms, Hughes, and Severson would be fun to watch as well. I think they would really up each others games. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Absolutely. The fun thing with a guy like him is he makes other players better. This is the kind of guy who could do wonders for a guy like Zacha assuming Zacha slides to wing. 

A power play with Hall, Nico, Palms, Hughes, and Severson would be fun to watch as well. I think they would really up each others games. 

Agreed.  I love the idea of putting Zacha on his wing and telling him to just shoot the f’ing puck.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

When I watch any of Hughes' 2018-19 highlights I always try to take into account that he's playing against amateurs. Many of his points came against USHL players too rather than NCAA players. So, obviously when he dances around opponents, it isn't necessarily a sign that such skills will translate to the NHL level. After all, watch Zacha's Sarnia highlights.

That said, obviously I'm a big proponent of drafting Hughes and that's because there are some parts of his game that are amazing regardless of the competition he's playing against. In my view, the most noteworthy and unique skill Kakko has is his ability to possess the puck down low. He's incredible in that regard. But with Hughes, what stands out as significant in his amateur highlights is how quickly he changes directions and accelerates. He does it at superhuman speeds. It's been said a million times but I don't think there's anyone who can compete with his edges. And it seems to me that none of his puckwork falls behind at speed.

Edited by Neb00rs

18 hours ago, glenwo2 said:

Maybe it was the clip selection, but that was among the most impressive Hughes videos I have seen. Some of the things he pulled off against better competition show that Hughes is a future NHL star. He's McDavid-like all throughout this video. It isn't just the speed, it's the vision, anticipation, and top notch passing. It's great to see that he's so proficient in both the north-south and the east-west directions. He needs to work on his shot, much like Nico had to (and Nico has come a long way in that regard). Once he does, he will score a lot of goals.

2:04 and 2:28 show just how amazing Hughes will be.

I also think one of the reasons that Hughes put up so few points is that Kreider didn't finish any of his feeds - Kreider wanted Kakko to look better in this tournament.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, nessus said:

Maybe it was the clip selection, but that was among the most impressive Hughes videos I have seen. Some of the things he pulled off against better competition show that Hughes is a future NHL star. He's McDavid-like all throughout this video. It isn't just the speed, it's the vision, anticipation, and top notch passing. It's great to see that he's so proficient in both the north-south and the east-west directions. He needs to work on his shot, much like Nico had to (and Nico has come a long way in that regard). Once he does, he will score a lot of goals.

2:04 and 2:28 show just how amazing Hughes will be.

I also think one of the reasons that Hughes put up so few points is that Kreider didn't finish any of his feeds - Kreider wanted Kakko to look better in this tournament.

lol.   Doubt it but I'm sure he's not losing much sleep, though.