Hughes or Kakko

Jerzey

Hughes or Kakko?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Who should Shero pick?

Hughes gained confidence for NHL through World Championship experience

KOSICE, Slovakia -- Jack Hughes is confident that the experience he gained from playing for the United States at the 2019 IIHF World Championship will help him play in the NHL next season.

Hughes, No. 1 on NHL Central Scouting's final ranking for the 2019 NHL Draft, is expected to be the No. 1 pick. He got a jump-start in learning the professional life from his tournament teammates.

"It's been unreal," Hughes said prior to the U.S. losing 4-3 to Russia in the quarterfinals at Ondrej Nepela Arena in Bratislava, Slovakia, on Thursday. "I'm just learning about what it's like to be a pro every day, just hanging out with these guys in the rink and around town. It's been an invaluable experience.

"I think that was the biggest thing coming here, just what I could experience and be a part of. It's not many days where you get asked as a 17-year-old … to play for an NHL all-star team. I knew I could learn a lot of things. I didn't want to turn down [USA Hockey]. I'm really grateful to be here. That was the biggest thing for me."

Hughes, a center with USA Hockey's National Team Development Program Under-18 team, had two assists against Russia and ended the tournament with three assists and an average of 13:52 of ice time in seven games.

Although he hasn't piled up the points, Hughes impressed his U.S. teammates and future NHL foes.

"I think he does some things better than me," said forward and U.S. captain Patrick Kane (Chicago Blackhawks), who has been seated next to Hughes in the U.S. locker room. "He's a really young kid. As time goes on he's only going to get better and better. His potential, obviously, is through the roof. Talking to him and watching him play, he wants to be the best. He has that 'it' factor.

"It's going to be fun to watch his career unfold."

Hughes (5-foot-10, 170 pounds), who turned 18 on May 14, is the youngest player ever for the U.S. at the tournament.

"He's a really smart player, obviously," U.S. forward Johnny Gaudreau (Calgary Flames) said. "You can see why people are talking so highly of him. He's a great kid, great teammate. I love playing with him and being around him in the locker room. On the ice it's fun to watch him in practice. He's played well for us."

Hughes led the NTDP with 112 points (34 goals, 78 assists) and a 2.24 points-per-game average in 50 games this season. He also set NTDP career records for assists (154) and points (228) in 110 games in two seasons.

Prior to playing at the World Championship, he helped the U.S. win the bronze medal at the IIHF World Under-18 Championship in April, with a tournament-high 20 points (nine goals, 11 assists), one shy of Nikita Kucherov's single-tournament record of 21 points in 2011. Hughes also helped the U.S. win a silver medal at the IIHF World Junior Championship in January.

But Hughes said his experience at the World Championship was an eye-opener.

"Obviously on-ice is No. 1 all the time," he said. "You want to do well. But it's so big off the ice being around these guys, meeting some of these guys, so the next few years when I play against them I will know them and if I ever need something I can reach out to a guy like [Kane] or [James van Riemsdyk, Philadelphia Flyers]. Both are awesome. I'm learning from both places.

"I think it's good for me playing against men here. … I'll know what I need to work on. It'll be an easier adjustment for me."

https://www.nhl.com/news/jack-hughes-gaining-confidence-for-nhl-through-world-championship-experience/c-307520238?tid=277764372

>>> Always said this experience helps with his development.   Don't know who said it(I forget) but some here don't agree that this tournament helped at all.         PFFFT!  Whatever.

Glad to see(and hear) Jack had fun and is looking forward to playing in the NHL.  :yea:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

Wait your theory is that a professional hockey player didn’t score goals on purpose because he wanted a Finnish 18 year old to look better than an american 18 year old?

i mean lol 

A Finnish 18 year old that his team MAY draft. Otherwise yes, that was his theory lol. 

2 minutes ago, LittleBallofHate said:

No vote from me on that artwork - it's gotta have Ty Smith and/or Jesper Boqvist - not Hall (sorry Hallsy, not til you sign). 

I'm going out on a limb and say that he will sign. 

But we'll see.....

And what are you talking about?    Boqvist??

Dude....Bratt, Hischier, and Hall (provided he signs....I think he will) *ARE* the Core (along with Jack).   

Agree with you on Ty Smith, though.  I think he could be the 5th man in that picture.

Edited by glenwo2

4 hours ago, MB3 said:

Wait your theory is that a professional hockey player didn’t score goals on purpose because he wanted a Finnish 18 year old to look better than an american 18 year old?

i mean lol 

4 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

A Finnish 18 year old that his team MAY draft. Otherwise yes, that was his theory lol. 

I was joking about the Kreider part

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

I say Hughes wears #10

But if we do, how will we have Peter “DeBoer loved me for some stupid reason” Harrold retirement night????

If he does take it though, he joins the likes of Denis Pederson, Tverdovsky, Rasmussen and psycho Rod Pelley

• Like 1

As far as the World Championship goes Kakko really cooled off after that hot start. Finished the tournament with 7PTS in 10GP. 

Hughes finished with 3PTS in 7GP. And had his strongest game in the knockout round against a good Russian team. 

Absolutely NO WAY Kakko did enough to unseat Hughes as #1OA, imo. Hughes is the pick. 

• Like 6

I have no idea who are we gonna pick (ok we are gonna pick Hugues) but i've learn from my previous mistake with Shero : I will not doubt his choice (I was on team Patrick... How silly i feel now ! ) IF he thinks Kakko is the real deal for our team even if i'm seriously doubt it right now, I will trust him 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Absolutely NO WAY Kakko did enough to unseat Hughes as #1OA, imo. Hughes is the pick. 

Kakko made an impact in almost every game he played in. Even when he wasn't scoring he was giving hell to teams down low in the offensive zone. But, I still agree with the above statement. 

But Kakko was never going to unseat Hughes. And that's for one main reason: Hughes is more dynamic and his dynamism starts with his elite skating that is far superior to Kakko's.

5 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Scouts honor

Devils assistant general manager Tom Fitzgerald said Hughes and Kakko each look to be NHL ready. That's good news for the rebuilding Devils and Rangers, who hold the No. 2 selection in the 2019 Draft.

"As far as Hughes and Kakko are concerned, we all know the obvious differences in the players ... one is already matured physically (Kakko) and one hasn't yet (Hughes)," Fitzgerald said. "That said, I think both kids most definitely have the skills, skating and hockey instincts to play next year in the NHL."

• Like 1

Maybe I'm just biased (because I think we all know who the Devils are taking) but I really don't see this as being as close as people are trying to make it.

Kakko has physically matured already - no denying that.  And he's able to take advantage of it.  Hughes is looking like a stud out there while still having the physical frame of a kid.. imagine how good he'll be when he matures?

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Maybe I'm just biased (because I think we all know who the Devils are taking) but I really don't see this as being as close as people are trying to make it.

Kakko has physically matured already - no denying that.  And he's able to take advantage of it.  Hughes is looking like a stud out there while still having the physical frame of a kid.. imagine how good he'll be when he matures?

Yes you are biased ; ) 
Because if we were on the Ranger position... We will talk non-stop about all the records Kakko just destroy while winning all international competition at his age.. and his scoring... That he knows how to win etc etc... 
We would say that Hugues will go to the Ranger and that he would not play at the level people tell... That so far it's only potential with him... That speed is not everything etc etc... 

That being said, i'm happy whatever happens (and Hugues will happen) (i'm 99% sure) 

• Like 1