Hughes or Kakko

Jerzey

Hughes or Kakko?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Who should Shero pick?

5 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Pretty much where I am.  Wouldn't surprise me that much if Kakko gets off to the quicker start, but yeah, I think Hughes will ultimately have the better career.  Of course that will mean Ranger fans will be declaring victory at about the 25-game mark next year, but so be it.  I'd expect nothing less. 

As soon as Kakko plays one game as a Ranger you can bet his jersey is a lock to go to the rafters.

But yeah, I expect some posters here will need some talking off the ledge from board peers come October when Kakko scores a few goals right out of the gate.

As far as the two players' long term careers go, I ultimately feel as you do that Hughes will have the better career. But that is a complete guess.

Where I am at is that when it comes to the observable skills of the two players, you just can't take Kakko over Hughes. So, in my eyes, the decision is right to pick Hughes and if Kakko is somehow more successful, I'll have little regret knowing that the Devils made the choice they should have at the time.

21 minutes ago, Rock said:

My daughter got one of those. I didn't even though i'm a partial season ticket holder,😲 Not that I would go anyway. I'll watch the first 15 minutes at home.😎

theres nothing to watch, its just a marketing thing to invite fans to come out to the arena and they are going to try selling them that "membership" package

4 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

theres nothing to watch, its just a marketing thing to invite fans to come out to the arena and they are going to try selling them that "membership" package

That’s why I’m not going. 

From what I have heard those "membership" packages where you pay X amount and get to choose the seats and games with getting STH perks is essentially dead unless you are grandfathered in.  It's basically full or partial plans now.

I got that thing in the mail last week as well.  It is pretty neat but they put an odd space between two letters in my last name so it looks like a jersey error that I would immediately ship back to EPS and tell them to fix it.

Also, taking a picture in front of the Marty banner is more of a deterrent to me than an incentive.

Got that jersey pamphlet with my last name on the back of the "jersey" too...I thought my daughter might think it was cool, but she actually didn't think much of it.  She's more into bobbleheads, pucks, and all of the stuff in my basement. 

Re:  Marty, yeah, for some reason there's a group of Devils fans who never really fully took to him...I think some thought he was a little too "me me me" (especially when it came to playing so many games), even though he always made his contract extensions pretty painless.  I remember only being truly aggravated with him two times in particular throughout his career...in 2001, when he had some frustratingly meh stretches, and was so up and down during the playoffs...a couple of times out of just being pissed I started calling him "Mediocre Marty" that season.  And his last season, some of his borderline delusional quotes were both impossible to take and defend (and for those who thought he was too "me me me", Marty really have them some ammo during his final Devils season).  There were some that thought he could've stuck around as a backup, but I wanted no part of that.  Sadly it simply felt like it was 110% time for him to go, even if it meant playing a handful of games for another team. 

4 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

or a Back to the Future fan saying he never cared for Marty...

Or saying "Michael J Fox was a-ight, but they should've stuck with Eric Stoltz..."

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Got that jersey pamphlet with my last name on the back of the "jersey" too...I thought my daughter might think it was cool, but she actually didn't think much of it.  She's more into bobbleheads, pucks, and all of the stuff in my basement. 

Re:  Marty, yeah, for some reason there's a group of Devils fans who never really fully took to him...I think some thought he was a little too "me me me" (especially when it came to playing so many games), even though he always made his contract extensions pretty painless.  I remember only being truly aggravated with him two times in particular throughout his career...in 2001, when he had some frustratingly meh stretches, and was so up and down during the playoffs...a couple of times out of just being pissed I started calling him "Mediocre Marty" that season.  And his last season, some of his borderline delusional quotes were both impossible to take and defend (and for those who thought he was too "me me me", Marty really have them some ammo during his final Devils season).  There were some that thought he could've stuck around as a backup, but I wanted no part of that.  Sadly it simply felt like it was 110% time for him to go, even if it meant playing a handful of games for another team. 

Or saying "Michael J Fox was a-ight, but they should've stuck with Eric Stoltz..."

Is Eric Stoltz the Chris Terreri of this analogy? Because I liked Terreri way more than Stoltz. 

Seriously though, as for the Marty me me me thing: I mostly ignored that because pretty much any superstar athlete has a bit of that. They need to be a little full of themselves to achieve the things that they do. And that last season he was clearly having trouble accepting that it was really over and it wasn't the Marty show anymore. That never made me dislike him though, as I think it comes from the same mindset I mentioned above. 20 years of not having to worry about your goalie is something special. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Seriously though, as for the Marty me me me thing: I mostly ignored that because pretty much any superstar athlete has a bit of that. They need to be a little full of themselves to achieve the things that they do. And that last season he was clearly having trouble accepting that it was really over and it wasn't the Marty show anymore. That never made me dislike him though, as I think it comes from the same mindset I mentioned above. 20 years of not having to worry about your goalie is something special. 

Marty was never a “me me me” player. Read his book or ask him and he’ll tell you all about how great he was in that area. 

Now when it comes to his wife’s sister in law...maybe you have a valid argument. 

27 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I agree with everything here...I never had a problem with Marty (even on the very rare occasions when I was frustrated with his play), or ever really thought of him as a "me me me" guy...I was acknowledging that there are Devils fans who feel that way about him though.  He's really more polarizing than he should be, given the obvious (having an insanely long peak and plenty of hardware to go with it), even if he hung on too long. 

• Like 1

As mentioned several times above, I do believe Marty was very much a "me, me, me" type of person.  In his book he devoted nearly an entire chapter explaining what a great guy he was for not taking full market value on his contract renewals with the Devils.  In addition, over the years I can remember several times where after games if the team won it was because he played a large part of it but when they lost it was a team loss.

His little temper tantrum at the end of 13-14 was not a new Marty, but the person Marty always was.  It was just at that point people were no longer fawning completely over him and the team was crap so fans were not blinded to his real personality.  There was even a thread in one of the FB groups last week about how Marty is like Messier when it comes to signings; if he is being paid or if you have a nice rack he is all smiles but when neither is happening, he isn't the friendliest person to meet.

I am not saying Marty is at Avery-level douche-ness.  He just never endeared himself to me (as well as several others from what I have learned through the years).

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Is Eric Stoltz the Chris Terreri of this analogy? Because I liked Terreri way more than Stoltz. 

This is exactly what I was talking about in my previous post.  However, while you and many others turned a blind eye I went the other way and was always annoyed about that.  Why can't the guy be a great athlete and not be 100% full of themselves?  I don't think that those have to always go together 100% of the time.