Hughes or Kakko

Jerzey

Hughes or Kakko?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Who should Shero pick?

24 minutes ago, Daniel said:

The only thing that will save my interest in the draft now is Ray resigning.  He’s asleep at the switch.

Trouba didn't want to be a Devil. Dreger said he only had one or two teams on his list. It sucks but not sure why you're blaming Shero for this

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Derlique said:

Trouba didn't want to be a Devil. Dreger said he only had one or two teams on his list. It sucks but not sure why you're blaming Shero for this

Then don't sell us a bullsh!t plan of bringing in talent.  If he can't do that he has to resign.  Guy was born on third with the Penguins and thinks he hit a triple.

5 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Then don't sell us a bullsh!t plan of bringing in talent.  If he can't do that he has to resign.  Guy was born on third with the Penguins and thinks he hit a triple.

Did you want him to hold a gun to Trouba's head and make him want to be here? The Devils were losing out to big FAs to the Rangers when they were winning cups-- not sure why you think that's ever going to change

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Daniel said:

You truly sound dumber with every post. You’re better than this. Come on.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The Devils are not an ideal destination. They probably never will be. Even when we were a perennial contender we we weren't that much of a draw. 

High taxes, not much of a hockey market, not a lot of name recognition, location is perceived as no good, bad weather, and we're not a winning franchise.

One thing we do have going for us, is that we have a GM that has created a good reputation for our team and knows how to approach players. That's why we got Butcher. 

We're not the cool kids. We never were. We will always have to rely on good scouting and crafty management in order to win. At this point in Devils history, you gotta be okay with that. Have a little faith - we did just get the first overall pick twice in three years. 

Edited by Neb00rs
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

The Devils are not an ideal destination. They probably never will be. Even when we were a perennial contender we we weren't that much of a draw. 

High taxes, not much of a hockey market, not a lot of name recognition, location is perceived as no good, bad weather, and we're not a winning franchise.

One thing we do have going for us, is that we have a GM that has created a good reputation for our team and knows how to approach players. That's why we got Butcher. 

We're not the cool kids. We never were. We will always have to rely on good scouting and crafty management in order to win. At this point in Devils history, you gotta be okay with that. Have a little faith - we did just get the first overall pick twice in three years. 

Did you steal Ray's speech to the media when he strikes out this offseason?

23 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Did you steal Ray's speech to the media when he strikes out this offseason?

fvck. How did you know? Yeah, it was right on his desk in folder labeled "fvck Devils fans," next to an "I ❤️ the Penguins" plaque. I was able to swipe it while he was cackling in laughter on a phone call saying, "Yeah, I could have got Trouba for a bag of pucks but I'd rather troll Daniel from NJDevs." 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Neb00rs said:

This is some self-hating bullsh!t right here. It’s really sad how inferior a lot of you think we are. 

9 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

This is some self-hating bullsh!t right here. It’s really sad how inferior a lot of you think we are. 

But what bout that is inaccurate? WE know Jersey's great, and the players that end up here all kinds of ways (usually outside their control) end up loving it. But we're not a sexy destination for UFAs, and as a fanbase, for those who already haven't, we should adjust our expectations accordingly.

Half the fanbase just fought each other the last 24 hours over this Trouba deal, about whether Shero dropped the ball; we NOW know it was yet another player who handicaps his team into trading him to the Rangers.

We'll never be that team, no shame there, but we do need to adjust our expectations as far as free agents are concerned.

44 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

How is it self-hating to say we aren't an ideal destination? What part of what I said do you disagree with? 

Just now, Neb00rs said:

How is it self-hating to say we aren't an ideal destination? What part of what I said do you disagree with? 

All of it. Just because hockey players are stupid doesn’t mean my home state is devalued as a destination. These fvckers should try doing some research, or talking to other players who’ve played here/do play here. I’m sick of the ignorance from players, and I’m sick of the self-loathing from fans.

23 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

All of it. Just because hockey players are stupid doesn’t mean my home state is devalued as a destination. These fvckers should try doing some research, or talking to other players who’ve played here/do play here. I’m sick of the ignorance from players, and I’m sick of the self-loathing from fans.

Listen, I get that your sensitive about this. I am too. It comes from people constantly sh!tting on NJ and disrespecting the Devils, especially Rangers fans. 

But nothing I said is actually an insult. It's just true. I like the fact that the Devils aren't the cool kids. I see it as a positive. For the most part we always end up with real decent human beings on our team and in addition to that, it's always that much more special when a player comes here and learns to love the place a la Marty, Stevens, Elias, etc... 

I'm also not saying that we can't get good FAs either. We have cap room and a good reputation - as I mentioned in my previous post. But it's harder for us than some other teams. 

Edited by Neb00rs
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Daniel said:

Anyone else think we should notify the authorities before Daniel winds up on a rooftop with a sniper rifle?

• Confused 1

53 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I hear ya...I've coming up on 49 years that I have lived in NJ since the day I was born (in NEWARK), and I largely love it here...even with some of the negatives (for me, that would be car insurance, taxes, winter, and people that aren't always the friendliest in the world). 

What sucks is that so many people don't know how great and flat-out beautiful parts of this state really are.  They see Newark Airport, Newark itself, and some of the surrounding area on a crappy late November day and they're convinced the whole state of NJ is exactly like that.  And it sucks. 

And unfortunately, Neb00rs is right...it seems like we almost have to get guys when they don't have a choice initially (like drafting Marty and Elias, winning Stevens in an arbitration hearing, trading for others, etc), and then they become sold on NJ.  Unfortunately too many individuals (not just hockey players) have a preconceived image of NJ that isn't really accurate, especially when factoring all that it has to offer...like Neb00rs said, it's a little harder for us.  You've got certain teams with forever histories (even if all they have is time, like the Rangers) who players just DREAM of playing for one day, from the time they're children.  Doesn't matter how many players who find out once they sign with the Rangers or Leafs or a few select others that it's not always all it's cracked to be...some guys just think it's all golden. 

But I'm no self-loather...I'm proud to be here, regardless of what some others (who know next to nothing about NJ) might think.  But sadly I'm also realistic.  I still think Shero can build a fine team capable of being a legit SC contender, but I don't we'll ever see some big UFA ever sitting at a mic during a press conference with tears in his eyes, proclaiming how it's always been his dream to one day play for the New Jersey Devils.  And I can live with that. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I hear ya...I've coming up on 49 years that I have lived in NJ since the day I was born (in NEWARK), and I largely love it here...even with some of the negatives (for me, that would be car insurance, taxes, winter, and people that aren't always the friendliest in the world). 

I get it. But that's not just New Jersey, that's EVERYWHERE. I live in Staten Island. Do you know how many people I run into with a complete mistaken interpretation of what Staten Island is like? All the time. 

And on the flip side, there's nice places EVERYWHERE. New Jersey may be great. So are parts of Pennsylvania. Or California. Or Florida. Or every other NHL city. Maybe not Detroit lol. 

The point is, "New Jersey is a nice place to live" means nothing to people who aren't from New Jersey, because they can find "a nice place to live" almost anywhere. A potential free agent or what have you has no reason to think more about NJ being a great place than any other place. And as I have pointed out, the ones who are drawn to NYC are drawn to NYC, not an area just outside of NYC. 

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I get it. But that's not just New Jersey, that's EVERYWHERE. I live in Staten Island. Do you know how many people I run into with a complete mistaken interpretation of what Staten Island is like? All the time. 

And on the flip side, there's nice places EVERYWHERE. New Jersey may be great. So are parts of Pennsylvania. Or California. Or Florida. Or every other NHL city. Maybe not Detroit lol. 

The point is, "New Jersey is a nice place to live" means nothing to people who aren't from New Jersey, because they can find "a nice place to live" almost anywhere. A potential free agent or what have you has no reason to think more about NJ being a great place than any other place. And as I have pointed out, the ones who are drawn to NYC are drawn to NYC, not an area just outside of NYC. 

I don't disagree with you, but I think there's a lot of people not from here who think NJ is just sh!t all around...a heavily congested cesspool of congestion and pollution and toxic waste, no matter where you go.  My point was more that some people don't realize that NJ actually can indeed be a nice place to live, and even scenic in some areas.  But yeah, I definitely wasn't implying that it has more to offer than any number of other places...just that it's far from terrible.   

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I don't disagree with you, but I think there's a lot of people not from here who think NJ is just sh!t all around...a heavily congested cesspool of congestion and pollution and toxic waste, no matter where you go.  My point was more that some people don't realize that NJ actually can indeed be a nice place to live, and even scenic in some areas.  But yeah, I definitely wasn't implying that it has more to offer than any number of other places...just that it's far from terrible.   

I definitely agree. But the list of places that are far from terrible is very expansive. What would make a guy who isn’t from the area choose NJ over one of those other places?

7 hours ago, Neb00rs said:

I think the tax issue is very overrated.  These guys pay the jock tax.  They are paying local taxes in every state they play.  Secondly, if the taxes were such an issue, why aren't the best players lining up to play for the Panthers, Lightning, or Stars where they do not have a state income tax? I know there are property taxes, too.  However, do you really think guys like Roberto Luongo are living in houses with low property taxes?  They are likely living in the most expensive towns in South Florida.  (Yes, I know ARod, when he played for the Yankees, bought a condo with a tax abatement and wasn't actually paying property taxes).

59 minutes ago, Matteau#32 said:

I think the tax issue is very overrated.  These guys pay the jock tax.  They are paying local taxes in every state they play.  Secondly, if the taxes were such an issue, why aren't the best players lining up to play for the Panthers, Lightning, or Stars where they do not have a state income tax? I know there are property taxes, too.  However, do you really think guys like Roberto Luongo are living in houses with low property taxes?  They are likely living in the most expensive towns in South Florida.  (Yes, I know ARod, when he played for the Yankees, bought a condo with a tax abatement and wasn't actually paying property taxes).

It's not the end all be all, but it certainly isn't a plus.

6 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

What sucks is that so many people don't know how great and flat-out beautiful parts of this state really are.  They see Newark Airport, Newark itself, and some of the surrounding area on a crappy late November day and they're convinced the whole state of NJ is exactly like that.  And it sucks. 

And unfortunately, Neb00rs is right...it seems like we almost have to get guys when they don't have a choice initially (like drafting Marty and Elias, winning Stevens in an arbitration hearing, trading for others, etc), and then they become sold on NJ.  Unfortunately too many individuals (not just hockey players) have a preconceived image of NJ that isn't really accurate, especially when factoring all that it has to offer...like Neb00rs said, it's a little harder for us.  You've got certain teams with forever histories (even if all they have is time, like the Rangers) who players just DREAM of playing for one day, from the time they're children.  Doesn't matter how many players who find out once they sign with the Rangers or Leafs or a few select others that it's not always all it's cracked to be...some guys just think it's all golden. 

But I'm no self-loather...I'm proud to be here, regardless of what some others (who know next to nothing about NJ) might think.  But sadly I'm also realistic.  I still think Shero can build a fine team capable of being a legit SC contender, but I don't we'll ever see some big UFA ever sitting at a mic during a press conference with tears in his eyes, proclaiming how it's always been his dream to one day play for the New Jersey Devils.  And I can live with that. 

I hear ya brother. Born and raised here, my whole life. This is my home. It’s always been my home. It will always be my home, even if I end up living somewhere else one day. This state is in my blood. My attitude towards anyone who has a negative opinion about Jersey is simple: gargle my fvcking balls. I don’t suffer people who have ill-informed, negative, stupid sh!t to say about Jersey. So I tend to take it personally when I hear the idea that some sh!t-for-brains hockey player(s) don’t wanna play here because they’re too much of a dipsh!t to actually do some research, like a fvcking adult. 

Edited by MadDog2020