Hughes or Kakko

Jerzey

Hughes or Kakko?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Who should Shero pick?

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I hear ya brother. Born and raised here, my whole life. This is my home. It’s always been my home. It will always be my home, even if I end up living somewhere else one day. This state is in my blood. My attitude towards anyone who has a negative opinion about Jersey is simple: gargle my fvcking balls. I don’t suffer people who have ill-informed, negative, stupid sh!t to say about Jersey. So I tend to take it personally when I hear the idea that some sh!t-for-brains hockey player(s) don’t wanna play here because they’re too much of a dipsh!t to actually do some research, like a fvcking adult. 

well then you have to also consider that you're obviously biased and not looking at it from the same perspective as someone else. It's not always that it's that Newark is terrible but that.... Florida, Tampa, Minny or god knows what other cities are better or that the team is in a better position.

Take me for example, im not from NJ at all and there's no NHL team near me. Say i wasn't a Devils fan and that i could just choose any NHL cities to live in... without anybody pitching me... just going over what i take out of certain locations... i wouldnt know much

So here's an example of the thought process i'd go through... Actually it's a great question cause i'm just here deep in thoughts and not really sure where i'd choose to live...... i like movies... so obviously then you think LA, Toronto and NY right away (and see.. even being a devils fan... i don't go (well NJ is right next to it so that kind of work the same as NY)... then i like punk rock music... so LA and Chicago comes to mind... not a big fan of the beach... so Tampa, Florida.. mehh... Big Rocky fan... Philly might be sweet? Dallas has some cool cons and the art industry is big there and they do very cool stuff so that'd be sweet. Montreal i have tons of friends who live there, my best friend live there, i love to visit but i can't stand the people for too long there plus i hate the Habs. so no. So anyway... that's kind of that in general...

So then... i get a job offer from a few places at the same time... one from Toronto, NY and Calgary.... Well... i may do a bit of research on calgary but there's no big sell for me and Toronto and NY were already on my mind because of things i love from those area... 

Anyway, just goes to show that it's not really about not doing research, sometimes its just that you dont see a point in digging to find something to like somewhere when there's an option you like available already

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

well then you have to also consider that you're obviously biased and not looking at it from the same perspective as someone else. It's not always that it's that Newark is terrible but that.... Florida, Tampa, Minny or god knows what other cities are better or that the team is in a better position.

Take me for example, im not from NJ at all and there's no NHL team near me. Say i wasn't a Devils fan and that i could just choose any NHL cities to live in... without anybody pitching me... just going over what i take out of certain locations... i wouldnt know much

So here's an example of the thought process i'd go through... Actually it's a great question cause i'm just here deep in thoughts and not really sure where i'd choose to live...... i like movies... so obviously then you think LA, Toronto and NY right away (and see.. even being a devils fan... i don't go (well NJ is right next to it so that kind of work the same as NY)... then i like punk rock music... so LA and Chicago comes to mind... not a big fan of the beach... so Tampa, Florida.. mehh... Big Rocky fan... Philly might be sweet? Dallas has some cool cons and the art industry is big there and they do very cool stuff so that'd be sweet. Montreal i have tons of friends who live there, my best friend live there, i love to visit but i can't stand the people for too long there plus i hate the Habs. so no. So anyway... that's kind of that in general...

So then... i get a job offer from a few places at the same time... one from Toronto, NY and Calgary.... Well... i may do a bit of research on calgary but there's no big sell for me and Toronto and NY were already on my mind because of things i love from those area... 

Anyway, just goes to show that it's not really about not doing research, sometimes its just that you dont see a point in digging to find something to like somewhere when there's an option you like available already

I hear you- you make some good points, for sure. In the case of a hockey player though, maybe you talk to your agent and/or guys around the league who play here or have played here, to get a sense of what it’s like. The other thing is we live in an age where we literally carry the entire world in our pockets with us every day- you can find out anything about anything 24/7/365. Research doesn’t take a lot of effort like it did back in the day lol. And yeah, I’m definitely biased, I make no bones about that. I’m biased as fvck. 🤣

44 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I hear you- you make some good points, for sure. In the case of a hockey player though, maybe you talk to your agent and/or guys around the league who play here or have played here, to get a sense of what it’s like. The other thing is we live in an age where we literally carry the entire world in our pockets with us every day- you can find out anything about anything 24/7/365. Research doesn’t take a lot of effort like it did back in the day lol. And yeah, I’m definitely biased, I make no bones about that. I’m biased as fvck. 🤣

Well again we as fan always take it from the perspective of "NJ is just as good as a location as anything else" so we filter everything through that so we tend to focus on our positives... and on everyone else's negatives lol... but from someone on the outside... it's wide open

11 hours ago, Neb00rs said:

The Devils are not an ideal destination. They probably never will be. Even when we were a perennial contender we we weren't that much of a draw. 

High taxes, not much of a hockey market, not a lot of name recognition, location is perceived as no good, bad weather, and we're not a winning franchise.

One thing we do have going for us, is that we have a GM that has created a good reputation for our team and knows how to approach players. That's why we got Butcher. 

We're not the cool kids. We never were. We will always have to rely on good scouting and crafty management in order to win. At this point in Devils history, you gotta be okay with that. Have a little faith - we did just get the first overall pick twice in three years. 

Even more reason why Jack Hughes will change this club forever. Players will be killing each other to play with him one day. We could be in Siberia it wouldn’t matter. End of day, players want to play on teams that help them look good.

• Like 2

So someone at HFBoards transcribed Shero's comments on Hughes and Kakko from the recent Devils podcast.. for your reading pleasure:

Ray Shero on Hughes and Kakko (via Devils official podcast):

"We are going to pick the best player that is best for the Devils. It is a lot different this year since both Kakko and Hughes ended up playing in the World Championships, one was done on Thursday, and one was done on Sunday. And the combine was on Monday. And obviously Jack Hughes was there and Kaapo Kakko wasn’t, got done on Sunday. So that’s different. And he didn’t…that make’s it a little difficult. In terms of difference of the players, they are a lot different in terms of how they play. One, I mean….I could go on about both these kids. Kakko is just a big, strong kid, has really good hockey sense, great around the net. He has got a will with the puck. He almost reminds of lately Jagr almost, honestly he just that good. He has great hands. And Hughes obviously is … Kakko has played center. Everyone has said something about center. And Jack Hughes played left wing some, recently in the championships. He is certainly a different type of player. He is not as big obviously. He has got incredible hockey sense. And the agility, the vision on the ice, it makes the people on his team better. I wish I had one and two, that would be good. They are that good. We have to make the right choice for us."

"Hughes has been on the radar as potential top pick for a few years here. And a US-born kid. And if Kakko played in OHL, WHL, the Quebec league or something like that. People could see him at the world juniors, certainly the world championships, but at the world juniors over here, its almost from September to November or December, he was at a certain point, then after the world juniors, holy cow, it was like, every NHL team, its was no secret that this is going to be really good NHL player. But maybe its more about the American born player since he has been on radar for a while and for a Kakko, or someone like that, it wasn’t. They are both really good players. The big benefactors will be the devils and rangers and the other one will be the league. They get kids like this in and get really good players in this draft, that's for sure."

(on Hughes in spotlight) "He’s probably, even though he was born in Florida, he was basically raised in Toronto, but I think he’s been kind of around the spotlight for a few years here. He is a well-spoken kid and I think….well, its a little different, when you have Jack Hughes, who we are talking about here, but also have Kaapo Kakko, whose English is not….well, obviously he’s Finnish. And its a little like Miro Heiskanen and what a player he is obviously and couple of years ago when we met over in Finland, and we met for three hours, I was really impressed in how hard he tried. I knew about four phrases in Finnish and that was about it. Anyway, there is a difference in the kids, they are both are going to be really good NHL players. And again, like, what if the Rangers don’t take one of those two kids, then he goes to Chicago. I don’t know, maybe think about that."

I'll just go ahead and repeat my comment here.. Shero does many things well, but speaking in concise sentences that are easy to understand during interviews is not one of them.

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

So someone at HFBoards transcribed Shero's comments on Hughes and Kakko from the recent Devils podcast.. for your reading pleasure:

I'll just go ahead and repeat my comment here.. Shero does many things well, but speaking in concise sentences that are easy to understand during interviews is not one of them.

Yeah he was kind of all over the place there lol.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

It seemed like he was trying really hard not to show favoritism to one or the other and it came out awkward as hell 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I almost picture Ray on That 70s Show in Foreman's basement (surrounded by a cloudy haze) as he's saying all of this, if ya know what I mean...

...or hanging with Slater at the Light Tower Party in Dazed and Confused...

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

I know the rumors everywhere are that Colorado wants to draft a second line center. And Dach is a good choice. But if Chicago does take Turcotte, and Byram is available, I just don't know how you pass on a projected #1D for a forward that's more of a question mark. I'm not sure they do. 

6 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

You know who his speaking "style" remind me of?    At the risk of sounding political....he sounds like our POTUS.

EDIT : Well okay...he's not THAT bad but I digress.... :rolling:

Edited by glenwo2

6 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

For anyone wondering if The Devils are ever going to interview Kakko, Ray said today that he and Hynes flew to Helsinki last week to sit down with him.

Wow that’s gonna force some people out on the ledge...

1 hour ago, glenwo2 said:

D9h913VWsAEF3vA.jpg 33xt58.jpg

What an uncanny resemblance. 😏

Ironically, ever since Daniel took the heat off you, you’ve been on fire, my man. 

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

For anyone wondering if The Devils are ever going to interview Kakko, Ray said today that he and Hynes flew to Helsinki last week to sit down with him.

Goodness.

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

No sh!t, now I am worried.

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Ironically, ever since Daniel took the heat off you, you’ve been on fire, my man. 

Is it that?

Or is it that he's putting out all the stupid stuff while I'm just sitting back munching my popcorn? :e-drama:

But I won't lie to you, fitz :

I got the above pics from HFBoards and wanted to post that funny sh*t here.     If I find something else, I'll put it here too.

But man....Friday can't come soon enough.  

Draft Hughes so all the whining can stop on that front....then we'll see what happens in the 2nd round onward on Saturday.

5 minutes ago, Anhkheg said:

Goodness.

No sh!t, now I am worried.

I seriously doubt the kid who can’t even speak English is going to wow Ray enough in an interview to change his mind (assuming he’s always wanted Hughes). Especially when Hughes apparently usually kills it in his. 

Probably just Ray doing his due diligence when it’s a pick this important. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

Is it that?

Or is it that he's putting out all the stupid stuff while I'm just sitting back munching my popcorn? :e-drama:

But I won't lie to you, fitz :

I got the above pics from HFBoards and wanted to post that funny sh*t here.     If I find something else, I'll put it here too.

But man....Friday can't come soon enough.  

Draft Hughes so all the whining can stop on that front....then we'll see what happens in the 2nd round onward on Saturday.

That’s literally the same thing. 

In any event, your wit is appreciated. 

• Like 1

Just now, Nicomo said:

I seriously doubt the kid who can’t even speak English is going to wow Ray enough in an interview to change his mind (assuming he’s always wanted Hughes). Especially when Hughes apparently usually kills it in his. 

I’d be more concerned if Ray DIDN’T interview him. I still think Hughes is the guy, but a lot of people don’t agree, so doing the due diligence is a part of the job. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I’d be more concerned if Ray DIDN’T interview him. I still think Hughes is the guy, but a lot of people don’t agree, so doing the due diligence is a part of the job. 

I don't remember what the situation was exactly but for what it's worth I know that back in 2017 Ray went to Finland to interview Heiskanen. He might have been in the region already but I'm not sure.

It's Ray's job, he gets paid to do this and chilling in Finland for a few days on the company dime ain't too bad of deal anyway.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Neb00rs said:

I don't remember what the situation was exactly but for what it's worth I know that back in 2017 Ray went to Finland to interview Heiskanen. He might have been in the region already but I'm not sure.

It's Ray's job, he gets paid to do this and chilling in Finland for a few days on the company dime ain't too bad of deal anyway.

Your probably right, he went to check out the finnish chicks and try out some viking gourmet dishes :)