Hughes or Kakko

Jerzey

Hughes or Kakko?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Who should Shero pick?

10 hours ago, MB3 said:

I believe strongly that Kappo Kakko will be better in 2019. Maybe even in 2020. 

But Jack Hughes is almost definitely going to be the better player over his career. 

And it'll make Rangers fans absolutely unbearable for those two seasons.

That said, it ultimately doesn't matter if the second half of your comment ends up being true.

19 hours ago, DJ Eco said:

But it is fairly black and white on a few levels. I've watched every shift of his since the U18 tournament. The amount of opportunities he creates out of nothing is unbelievable, the distances he skates every game is amazing. I watched U18 linemate after linemate (including Cole Caufield) miss empty nets, miss beautiful chances he put on their stick, squanded 50% of the opportunities he creates. Caufield could've finished with double the amount of goals in reality haha.. He missed so many Hughes-created opportunities.

Been watching the USA men's games and his linemates have missed a ton of chances as well; JVR or Keller fumbling a beautiful cross-ice pass, when they could've one-timed it, is a recurring thread. If they put Hughes with DeBrincat and Vatrano, he'd have 5+ assists by now and probably a goal or two. 

That being said, he's still only 17, he's still young enough to be required to have to wear a visor haha.. they're not going to just give him Eichel's or Larkin's spot, they're not in the tournament to see what Jack Hughes is made of, they're there to win; so we should accept that he's not going to be perfectly utilized or have the kind of big stage opportunity Kaapo is being given on a team full of scrubs.

Agreed.  While this is not the US's A-squad like you would have in the Olympics, this team would likely win the President's Trophy if it competed in an NHL season.  Finland?  Do they even have any NHL'ers on their team?  Much more difficult for Hughes to get the ice-time that Kakko is getting with Finland.  I have always been led to believe the U-18's are really the tournament the scouts and GM's taking seriously for the upcoming drafts.

I am fully on team Hughes, but if the Devils decided to go with Kakko on draft day over Hughes, I will not be shedding any tears.  I do think the talent gap between the two is very close and both are on a higher level than Nico and Nolan were in 2017.  I am mostly on team Hughes because I do think his ceiling is higher and getting elite centers are far harder than getting an elite winger.  I know Kakko is listed that he can play center as well, but he plays better on the wing.

Regardless, the Devils will be getting an awesome player either way.  This is a good problem to have.

• Like 1

I also doubt this tournament changes many scouts or GM's minds in terms of rankings.  How many times have players had great runs in a tournament but then have pedestrian stats otherwise?  I am not saying that happens to Kakko, but a tournament is way too small of a sample size to make any long-term evaluations for better or worse.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I also doubt this tournament changes many scouts or GM's minds in terms of rankings.  How many times have players had great runs in a tournament but then have pedestrian stats otherwise?  I am not saying that happens to Kakko, but a tournament is way too small of a sample size to make any long-term evaluations for better or worse.

Agreed. I am assuming that unlike most of us, the scouting department was already fully familiar with both guys. This tournament has placed Kakko under a microscope because he's playing more and doing more. As I mentioned previously, nobody on Team USA was looking to make this a Jack Hughes showcase, he's an amateur on a team stacked with NHLers. He wasn't going to be, and shouldn't be, getting a ton of ice time. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Agreed. I am assuming that unlike most of us, the scouting department was already fully familiar with both guys. This tournament has placed Kakko under a microscope because he's playing more and doing more. As I mentioned previously, nobody on Team USA was looking to make this a Jack Hughes showcase, he's an amateur on a team stacked with NHLers. He wasn't going to be, and shouldn't be, getting a ton of ice time. 

Yeah, it was an awesome honor that a not-even 18-year-old was even asked to play with men and NHL vets to begin with.  He definitely wasn't going to be gifted with ice time by default, due to his lofty prospect status.  And I'm OK with that, not just because he can learn a little simply by being a part of things, but also because a kid his size could easily get injured, given his current build.  Kid obviously will fill out and bulk up a little as he gets older, but that ain't happenin' overnight.

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah, it was an awesome honor that a not-even 18-year-old was even asked to play with men and NHL vets to begin with.  He definitely wasn't going to be gifted with ice time by default, due to his lofty prospect status.  And I'm OK with that, not just because he can learn a little simply by being a part of things, but also because a kid his size could easily get injured, given his current build.  Kid obviously will fill out and bulk up a little as he gets older, but that ain't happenin' overnight.

By October?

lol

17 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

By October?

lol

Definitely not. And looking at guys like Gaudreau, maybe a little bit, but maybe not so much. 

I'm not overly concerned about his size. I'm going to assume he's always played against guys bigger than him. Will that be harder at the NHL level? Obviously. But if he has the talent level he is supposed to have, he'll figure that sh!t out. 

Even a Nico-style bulk up would do him good. Nico was not much bigger this year but was much less easy to knock off the puck than he was in his rookie year. 

59 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Kid obviously will fill out and bulk up a little as he gets older, but that ain't happenin' overnight.

I don't know, I turned 40 and I seemed to "bulk up" overnight lol. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Daniel said:

Elias Pettersson is built like I was in high school and he managed to do allright.

Well, he’s 6’2 so not the best comparison. 

Hughes being such a good skater and better on his edges than pretty much everyone not named McDavid will help a lot in the open ice. He’ll just have to get stronger on the boards. 

32 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Hughes being such a good skater and better on his edges than pretty much everyone not named McDavid will help a lot in the open ice. He’ll just have to get stronger on the boards. 

I was 6’2” in high school and very skinny like Petterson.  Unless he bulked up significantly during the season there is no way on earth he is 170 lbs as is listed on his stat sheet.  He must have been closer to 155 like I was back then.  

9 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Hughes being such a good skater and better on his edges than pretty much everyone not named McDavid will help a lot in the open ice. He’ll just have to get stronger on the boards

That's where Zacha being on his left wing will come in handy👍  PZ can be a beast against the boards and if the coaches get on him to use that shot of his more, he could pot a lot of goals with Hughes's ability to set up his linemates.     

9 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

That's where Zacha being on his left wing will come in handy👍  PZ can be a beast against the boards and if the coaches get on him to use that shot of his more, he could pot a lot of goals with Hughes's ability to set up his linemates.     

No thanks to Zacha in the top 6. 

• Like 3