1. 1. Who should Shero pick?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's a write-up from StevenToddIves, a journalist on HFBoards:

Man, hard not to get excited about seeing Hughes wearing a Devils uni on the ice come October...feels preordained at this point.  Team has the potential to be pretty entertaining (especially if they c

*** Okay well sorry for the non-Hughes/Kakko related post *** Met her last year in Toronto (along with Michael J. Fox, Chris Lloyd and Tom Wilson) and told her it was one of my biggest dream to h

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Cangi: “I’ll fall off my chair if Jack Hughes isn’t the #1 pick”.

I’ll fall out of my chair if a penalty gets called and Cangi actually knows which team got called for it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
7 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

‘We’ll sort it out when we come back!’ 😆

Exactly. “We’ll sort it out after someone else sorts it out”. 

• Haha 3
36 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Cangi: “I’ll fall off my chair if Jack Hughes isn’t the #1 pick”.

Saw the whole interview with him.

I think this puts to bed any doubt the Devils take Hughes at #1.

I feel more relaxed and looking forward to the Draft now.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, glenwo2 said:

Saw the whole interview with him.

I think this puts to bed any doubt the Devils take Hughes at #1.

I feel more relaxed and looking forward to the Draft now.

Really? The word of a guy who isn’t even a team employee eliminates any doubt??

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Really? The word of a guy who isn’t even a team employee eliminates any doubt??

9 minutes ago, Marshall said:

Noted player analyst and prospect evaluator Stevie Cangyman.

To be fair, it's basically like they're employees of the team, and they are in and around the action and the team on a daily basis.  When Doc was doing Play by Play for us I would have held his opinion in pretty high regard in terms of his thoughts on the team.  Granted Cangi is no Doc, but no one is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
36 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

To be fair, it's basically like they're employees of the team, and they are in and around the action and the team on a daily basis.  When Doc was doing Play by Play for us I would have held his opinion in pretty high regard in terms of his thoughts on the team.  Granted Cangi is no Doc, but no one is.

Cangi was spot on though. When you have the chance to build your team deep down the middle with elite centers like Pitt did you do it. He made a good point about how much quicker Crosby and the Pens saw success than Ovi and the Caps did. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

Cangi was spot on though. When you have the chance to build your team deep down the middle with elite centers like Pitt did you do it. He made a good point about how much quicker Crosby and the Pens saw success than Ovi and the Caps did. 

Yep, completely agreed.  I like Ovechkin as a player more, but if Crosby played for the Devils I'd like him 1000x more, and I'll take his 3 Cups over Ovechkin's 1 all day long.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

And though it's both way too soon and completely unfair to compare these kids to guys like that, to me that's what this draft kind of is...Hughes is the Crosby, and Kakko is the Ovechkin.  Not like you can possibly go wrong with either guy (based on general projections, anyway), but I take the Crosby-type every time (unless I'm so blessed that I've already got at least one guy like that in my system). 

BTW though there's obviously more to their games than simple glamour numbers, Crosby's averaged about 39 G and 67 A per 82 GP for his career, and Ovi's averaged 50 G and 42 A per 82 GP for his. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

25 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

1) They are not "around the team" in the sense that they are going to know who they are going to draft, so as to make their word definitive, and 

2) I didn't say i don't hold his thoughts in high regard, its a very valid opinion and its probably correct. Does hearing the announcer state his opinion mean to me that i can rest easy because i know he's definitely right? Not even close. His being right and someone saying "well, that puts it to bed" are two different things. 

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

1) They are not "around the team" in the sense that they are going to know who they are going to draft, so as to make their word definitive, and 

2) I didn't say i don't hold his thoughts in high regard, its a very valid opinion and its probably correct. Does hearing the announcer state his opinion mean to me that i can rest easy because i know he's definitely right? Not even close. His being right and someone saying "well, that puts it to bed" are two different things. 

It was put to bed when Shero did everything he could to tell us who he’s picking but say Jack Hughes’ name anyway lol.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

It was put to bed when Shero did everything he could to tell us who he’s picking but say Jack Hughes’ name anyway lol.

That I can agree with. 

He's wearing #6 in this tournament...are we giving him Andy Greene's number?

I say yes, along with his car and his wife if he wants them. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

That I can agree with. 

He's wearing #6 in this tournament...are we giving him Andy Greene's number?

I say yes, along with his car and his wife if he wants them. 

“Andy we have some bad news. Taylor is getting your C and Jack is getting your number. And that’s not the worst part...”

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
Just now, RunninWithTheDevil said:

"And your wife is getting Jack's 'C'"

See the source image

• Haha 4

Some good quotes in this article: https://www.nhl.com/devils/news/worlds-hughes-breaks-out-in-final-game-of-tournament/c-307533266

Blashill finally gives Jack props and there's some tidbits from Hynes: 

Hynes also noted Hughes' speed and skating, his vision and hockey sense and his playmaking abilities before concluding: "There's no question, he's a game-breaking player and will develop into a franchise player that will help drive a team and play a top line center role in the NHL.

"If he does end up becoming a New Jersey Devil," Hynes continued. "I think that the fact that I've had the opportunity to get to know him and a relationship has been created and we've been working together, that's a big step in having a young talented player feel comfortable in his first year in the NHL to help him be able to make an impact sooner rather than later."

• Like 7