Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Jack Hughes HIGHLIGHTS from the IIHF Experience :

Can't wait for Draft Night!!  :yay:

Edited by glenwo2

Posted (edited)

fvck me ..... he`s amazing .... skates so well at high speed. hes only 18... this kid is going to be a super star  

Edited by Devils01
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, glenwo2 said:

Fake news. Kakko scored a goal against Team Ethiopia and two empty netters early in the tournament. That usurps every single scouting report because Kakko already plays against men and Hughes clearly didn’t have a good meaningless tournament because he only had three points.

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, glenwo2 said:

Wow. The way he ends up with the puck so often is really incredible. And all those missed chances from his beautiful feeds will fit right in here!!! 

I kid, I kid. Watching him set up Hall or Palms is gonna be magic. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Wow. The way he ends up with the puck so often is really incredible. And all those missed chances from his beautiful feeds will fit right in here!!! 

How about him on the same line as Bratt (another wizard with the puck)?

21 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

How about him on the same line as Bratt (another wizard with the puck)?

Absolutely. The fun thing with a guy like him is he makes other players better. This is the kind of guy who could do wonders for a guy like Zacha assuming Zacha slides to wing. 

A power play with Hall, Nico, Palms, Hughes, and Severson would be fun to watch as well. I think they would really up each others games. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Absolutely. The fun thing with a guy like him is he makes other players better. This is the kind of guy who could do wonders for a guy like Zacha assuming Zacha slides to wing. 

A power play with Hall, Nico, Palms, Hughes, and Severson would be fun to watch as well. I think they would really up each others games. 

Agreed.  I love the idea of putting Zacha on his wing and telling him to just shoot the f’ing puck.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

When I watch any of Hughes' 2018-19 highlights I always try to take into account that he's playing against amateurs. Many of his points came against USHL players too rather than NCAA players. So, obviously when he dances around opponents, it isn't necessarily a sign that such skills will translate to the NHL level. After all, watch Zacha's Sarnia highlights.

That said, obviously I'm a big proponent of drafting Hughes and that's because there are some parts of his game that are amazing regardless of the competition he's playing against. In my view, the most noteworthy and unique skill Kakko has is his ability to possess the puck down low. He's incredible in that regard. But with Hughes, what stands out as significant in his amateur highlights is how quickly he changes directions and accelerates. He does it at superhuman speeds. It's been said a million times but I don't think there's anyone who can compete with his edges. And it seems to me that none of his puckwork falls behind at speed.

Edited by Neb00rs

18 hours ago, glenwo2 said:

Maybe it was the clip selection, but that was among the most impressive Hughes videos I have seen. Some of the things he pulled off against better competition show that Hughes is a future NHL star. He's McDavid-like all throughout this video. It isn't just the speed, it's the vision, anticipation, and top notch passing. It's great to see that he's so proficient in both the north-south and the east-west directions. He needs to work on his shot, much like Nico had to (and Nico has come a long way in that regard). Once he does, he will score a lot of goals.

2:04 and 2:28 show just how amazing Hughes will be.

I also think one of the reasons that Hughes put up so few points is that Kreider didn't finish any of his feeds - Kreider wanted Kakko to look better in this tournament.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, nessus said:

Maybe it was the clip selection, but that was among the most impressive Hughes videos I have seen. Some of the things he pulled off against better competition show that Hughes is a future NHL star. He's McDavid-like all throughout this video. It isn't just the speed, it's the vision, anticipation, and top notch passing. It's great to see that he's so proficient in both the north-south and the east-west directions. He needs to work on his shot, much like Nico had to (and Nico has come a long way in that regard). Once he does, he will score a lot of goals.

I also think one of the reasons that Hughes put up so few points is that Kreider didn't finish any of his feeds - Kreider wanted Kakko to look better in this tournament.

lol.   Doubt it but I'm sure he's not losing much sleep, though. 

16 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

lol.   Doubt it but I'm sure he's not losing much sleep, though. 

Yeah that didn’t happen. 

• Like 2

Hughes gained confidence for NHL through World Championship experience

KOSICE, Slovakia -- Jack Hughes is confident that the experience he gained from playing for the United States at the 2019 IIHF World Championship will help him play in the NHL next season.

Hughes, No. 1 on NHL Central Scouting's final ranking for the 2019 NHL Draft, is expected to be the No. 1 pick. He got a jump-start in learning the professional life from his tournament teammates.

"It's been unreal," Hughes said prior to the U.S. losing 4-3 to Russia in the quarterfinals at Ondrej Nepela Arena in Bratislava, Slovakia, on Thursday. "I'm just learning about what it's like to be a pro every day, just hanging out with these guys in the rink and around town. It's been an invaluable experience.

"I think that was the biggest thing coming here, just what I could experience and be a part of. It's not many days where you get asked as a 17-year-old … to play for an NHL all-star team. I knew I could learn a lot of things. I didn't want to turn down [USA Hockey]. I'm really grateful to be here. That was the biggest thing for me."

Hughes, a center with USA Hockey's National Team Development Program Under-18 team, had two assists against Russia and ended the tournament with three assists and an average of 13:52 of ice time in seven games.

Although he hasn't piled up the points, Hughes impressed his U.S. teammates and future NHL foes.

"I think he does some things better than me," said forward and U.S. captain Patrick Kane (Chicago Blackhawks), who has been seated next to Hughes in the U.S. locker room. "He's a really young kid. As time goes on he's only going to get better and better. His potential, obviously, is through the roof. Talking to him and watching him play, he wants to be the best. He has that 'it' factor.

"It's going to be fun to watch his career unfold."

Hughes (5-foot-10, 170 pounds), who turned 18 on May 14, is the youngest player ever for the U.S. at the tournament.

"He's a really smart player, obviously," U.S. forward Johnny Gaudreau (Calgary Flames) said. "You can see why people are talking so highly of him. He's a great kid, great teammate. I love playing with him and being around him in the locker room. On the ice it's fun to watch him in practice. He's played well for us."

Hughes led the NTDP with 112 points (34 goals, 78 assists) and a 2.24 points-per-game average in 50 games this season. He also set NTDP career records for assists (154) and points (228) in 110 games in two seasons.

Prior to playing at the World Championship, he helped the U.S. win the bronze medal at the IIHF World Under-18 Championship in April, with a tournament-high 20 points (nine goals, 11 assists), one shy of Nikita Kucherov's single-tournament record of 21 points in 2011. Hughes also helped the U.S. win a silver medal at the IIHF World Junior Championship in January.

But Hughes said his experience at the World Championship was an eye-opener.

"Obviously on-ice is No. 1 all the time," he said. "You want to do well. But it's so big off the ice being around these guys, meeting some of these guys, so the next few years when I play against them I will know them and if I ever need something I can reach out to a guy like [Kane] or [James van Riemsdyk, Philadelphia Flyers]. Both are awesome. I'm learning from both places.

"I think it's good for me playing against men here. … I'll know what I need to work on. It'll be an easier adjustment for me."

https://www.nhl.com/news/jack-hughes-gaining-confidence-for-nhl-through-world-championship-experience/c-307520238?tid=277764372

>>> Always said this experience helps with his development.   Don't know who said it(I forget) but some here don't agree that this tournament helped at all.         PFFFT!  Whatever.

Glad to see(and hear) Jack had fun and is looking forward to playing in the NHL.  :yea:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, glenwo2 said:

It's not many days where you get asked as a 17-year-old … to play for an NHL all-star team.

He understands. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, nessus said:

Wait your theory is that a professional hockey player didn’t score goals on purpose because he wanted a Finnish 18 year old to look better than an american 18 year old?

i mean lol 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

Wait your theory is that a professional hockey player didn’t score goals on purpose because he wanted a Finnish 18 year old to look better than an american 18 year old?

i mean lol 

A Finnish 18 year old that his team MAY draft. Otherwise yes, that was his theory lol. 

Hey guys, just a friendly reminder that Ray should draft Hughes.

That is all.

• Like 4

Can we change the site banner to a countdown of when NJ drafts Hughes? 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Can we change the site banner to a countdown of when NJ drafts Hughes? 

How about something like this, but with a countdown?

spacer.png

Edited by glenwo2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

How about something like this, but with a countdown?

spacer.png

No vote from me on that artwork - it's gotta have Ty Smith and/or Jesper Boqvist - not Hall (sorry Hallsy, not til you sign). 

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, LittleBallofHate said:

No vote from me on that artwork - it's gotta have Ty Smith and/or Jesper Boqvist - not Hall (sorry Hallsy, not til you sign). 

I'm going out on a limb and say that he will sign. 

But we'll see.....

And what are you talking about?    Boqvist??

Dude....Bratt, Hischier, and Hall (provided he signs....I think he will) *ARE* the Core (along with Jack).   

Agree with you on Ty Smith, though.  I think he could be the 5th man in that picture.

Edited by glenwo2