Hughes or Kakko

Jerzey

Hughes or Kakko?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Who should Shero pick?

12 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

"I couldn't really come with anything right away, but I did tell them that when (Hughes) first sees you, he always asks, 'How we doin?' and it's pretty funny," Caufield said. "I love that kid. We all know how talented he is on the ice, but he's so cool off the ice, too. I was in awe with the amount of people he met and spoke with while playing for the U.S. at the World Championship."

The bolded above...I see great potential for that as a new team motto...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, moustic said:

Yes you are biased ; ) 
Because if we were on the Ranger position... We will talk non-stop about all the records Kakko just destroy while winning all international competition at his age.. and his scoring... That he knows how to win etc etc... 
We would say that Hugues will go to the Ranger and that he would not play at the level people tell... That so far it's only potential with him... That speed is not everything etc etc... 

Thats presenting an even worse bias- one based on pure speculation against objective fans. The Devil fans on this board are pretty hockey smart and objective. If we had the #2 pick, we would be excited about KK but no one would be slagging off Hughes and suggesting the WC demonstrates Hughes’ flaws.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, devlman said:

Thats presenting an even worse bias- one based on pure speculation against objective fans. The Devil fans on this board are pretty hockey smart and objective. If we had the #2 pick, we would be excited about KK but no one would be slagging off Hughes and suggesting the WC demonstrates Hughes’ flaws.

oh i highly doubt that hahaha i think we have to admit there's a lot of bias going on already. Just about anything Kakko did, many are giving him credits but all lot of people does spin it in a way to discredit him a as much as possible. Getting lots of ice time? "Well he's on a team full of scrubs" (scrubs who won the tournament lol), then he scores a very nice goal... "well hughes could score that too"... I never saw anyone saying that if Kakko played against juniors all season like Hughes that his numbers would be even better since he produced at a very good rate against men etc etc Hughes doesn't produce much... "well it doesnt matter as long as he's playing well" or "its a useless tournament who cares"... then kakko cools down point wize and its pointed out... i mean? hahaha There's 100% a ton of bias logic here

You guys are both right.  Of course there's bias going around, it's only natural.  Turn on the 6 o'clock news and it's almost all negative - that's what most people are drawn to and it creates headlines - so kudos to the people here who are putting a positive spin on things, even if it's perceived as overtly biased.   On the other hand, people here can be objective and realistic.  I do believe that if we had the #2 pick no one would be bashing Hughes or trying to say that he's less(er) than Kaako, but at the same time we definitely would be pumping up Kaako and finding reasons to be excited about him.

Also, I guess I just realized that if we draft Kaako, we have a very quick replacement for another guy on the team to be referred to as "KK".  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

oh i highly doubt that hahaha i think we have to admit there's a lot of bias going on already. Just about anything Kakko did, many are giving him credits but all lot of people does spin it in a way to discredit him a as much as possible. Getting lots of ice time? "Well he's on a team full of scrubs" (scrubs who won the tournament lol), then he scores a very nice goal... "well hughes could score that too"... I never saw anyone saying that if Kakko played against juniors all season like Hughes that his numbers would be even better since he produced at a very good rate against men etc etc Hughes doesn't produce much... "well it doesnt matter as long as he's playing well" or "its a useless tournament who cares"... then kakko cools down point wize and its pointed out... i mean? hahaha There's 100% a ton of bias logic here

When you use words such as ‘many people’ or ‘a lot of people’ you lose me because I don’t know what that exactly means or where you’re drawing this inference from. I think what you’re perceiving to be bias against KK is simply people having a conversation and trying to frame context around what both Hughes and Kakko are doing. That’s not bias. If one side frames KK’s point production as the basis for boosting his value then its only fair play to point out when the production dips. Again, that’s not bias, that’s called having a discussion. I think you’re confusing the two because no one here has implied KK will be a bust. If we were to draft second we’d love his stats and maturity but wouldn’t say he’s going to better than Hughes. If anything, I’ve seen folks here having good conversations about KK and recognizing his good play.

11 minutes ago, devlman said:

When you use words such as ‘many people’ or ‘a lot of people’ you lose me because I don’t know what that exactly means or where you’re drawing this inference from. I think what you’re perceiving to be bias against KK is simply people having a conversation and trying to frame context around what both Hughes and Kakko are doing. That’s not bias. If one side frames KK’s point production as the basis for boosting his value then its only fair play to point out when the production dips. Again, that’s not bias, that’s called having a discussion. I think you’re confusing the two because no one here has implied KK will be a bust. If we were to draft second we’d love his stats and maturity but wouldn’t say he’s going to better than Hughes. If anything, I’ve seen folks here having good conversations about KK and recognizing his good play.

well do you expect me to remember and taking notes on exactly who says what? lol 

I saw positive talks about KK too which i said many people here did. But i also saw many people not willing to give him much credits and making positive assumptions only towards Hughes. Like it's impossible that KK may end up being the best player.

I personally think Hughes will be the best but i wouldnt be shocked if KK end up being just as good based on the fact that he may currently be rising. Some players are late bloomers

3 hours ago, moustic said:

Yes you are biased ; ) 
Because if we were on the Ranger position... We will talk non-stop about all the records Kakko just destroy while winning all international competition at his age.. and his scoring... That he knows how to win etc etc... 
We would say that Hugues will go to the Ranger and that he would not play at the level people tell... That so far it's only potential with him... That speed is not everything etc etc... 

That being said, i'm happy whatever happens (and Hugues will happen) (i'm 99% sure) 

Pretty accurate haha the rivalry makes us say irrational things, and, devil's advocate, we would absolutely be minimizing Hughes in order to drum up our excitement over Kakko.

These 2 kids are studs, it's really going to add another dimension to this rivalry for YEARS, for a generation. 

• Like 1

If I were a Ranger fan, I'd be unselfaware arrogant douchebag.  In other words, I'd be a completely different person.

If the Rangers were picking first and us second, I'd be happy that we'd be getting a really good player, but would hope that the Rangers would go all galaxy brain and pick Kakko.  That's because I believe Hughes will be the better player.

• Like 4

I think Kakko will be the better player in the immediate future. He's going to come in and have some big highlight plays. The guy is clearly an amazing player. Long term though, I think Hughes will be the better overall player. I believe he has a higher ceiling but it'll take him longer to grow into it. 

Basically I'm saying Ranger fans will be more insufferable than usual in October if that's possible. 

Edited by Devil Dan 56
  • Like 1

Just now, Devil Dan 56 said:

I think Kakko will be the better player in the immediate future. He's going to come in and have some big highlight plays. The guy is clearly an amazing player. Long term though, I think Hughes will be the better overall player. I believe he has a higher ceiling but it'll take him longer to grow into it. 

Pretty much where I am.  Wouldn't surprise me that much if Kakko gets off to the quicker start, but yeah, I think Hughes will ultimately have the better career.  Of course that will mean Ranger fans will be declaring victory at about the 25-game mark next year, but so be it.  I'd expect nothing less. 

• Like 1

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Pretty much where I am.  Wouldn't surprise me that much if Kakko gets off to the quicker start, but yeah, I think Hughes will ultimately have the better career.  Of course that will mean Ranger fans will be declaring victory at about the 25-game mark next year, but so be it.  I'd expect nothing less. 

The Ranger fans decide they win the Stanley Cup every September. Too bad the season still goes till April. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Who wouldn't look forward to seeing this face brag ever so smugly about how Kakko is the better player

spacer.png

Oh this fvcking guy...my favorite Steve Valiquette NHL "moment":

https://www.hockey-reference.com/boxscores/200902060DAL.html

10...count 'em, 10 goals against, heh heh.  But hey, he did win a whopping 16 games at the NHL level.  Must be some reason why he carries himself as though he's Ranger fvcking royalty.  You could've taken a still shot of him at any time and he'd look just as douchey as he does in this pic.  Hate that dude.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 3

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

10...count 'em, 10 goals against, heh heh.  But hey, he did win a whopping 16 games at the NHL level.  Must be some reason why he carries himself as though he's Ranger fvcking royalty.  You could've taken a still shot of him at any time and he'd just as douchey as he does in this pic.  Hate that dude.

He looks like the kind of dude that would mickey your drink and try to pull a Cosby.

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

10...count 'em, 10 goals against, heh heh.  But hey, he did win a whopping 16 games at the NHL level.  Must be some reason why he carries himself as though he's Ranger fvcking royalty.  You could've taken a still shot of him at any time and he'd just as douchey as he does in this pic.  Hate that dude.

lol the game highlights are on YouTube.  IIRC, when they were up to 8 or 9 goals the Dallas crowd were chanting "we want 10!"  Steve looked like he wanted to cry.

I tried finding one of Steve with a smug smile on his face, but surprisingly I couldn't find one.

10 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

lol the game highlights are on YouTube.  IIRC, when they were up to 8 or 9 goals the Dallas crowd were chanting "we want 10!"  Steve looked like he wanted to cry.

I tried finding one of Steve with a smug smile on his face, but surprisingly I couldn't find one.

They really hung him out in that game...he gave up 5 goals in a 6:20 stretch in the third (6 goals total in that third period alone).  Makes me think of that brutal game poor Blackwood was made to endure, against the Flames...I don't get on Hynes nearly as much as some people do, but that was one game where I kept thinking "Geez, will you just get him out of there already?!"  Amazing how that one game really beat up Mac's save% and GAA...take that game out, and his save% with the big club goes from .918 to .927...and his GAA drops from 2.61 to 2.29.  Truly a case of one horrific game tainting a relatively short sample. 

I could tolerate Valiquette more if he didn't have his face pressed up so hard against the window...the guy so badly wishes he was "one of them" (as in a memorable Ranger), and in the club, and he just isn't.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1