Hughes or Kakko

Jerzey

Hughes or Kakko?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Who should Shero pick?

Combine Interview with Jack Hughes:

https://www.nhl.com/news/five-questions-with-jack-hughes/c-307595994?tid=277764372

"They gave me no hint, but the meeting went well," Hughes said. "There were some laughs in there. It was good to get to know them and I'm sure we'll get to know them a little bit more coming up to the Draft."

Hughes said the thought of being drafted by the Devils is exciting, particularly since he's never been to New Jersey.

"The Devils have a really good young corps, and the MVP of the league last year in Taylor Hall," he said. "I know they have good fans and they won three Stanley Cups back in the day so they're a winning franchise and they're hungry to win more, so if it did end up being New Jersey I'd be really excited."

Also on an NHL.com podcast with someone who interviewed Jack after he left the Devils meeting room, the interviewer said that although Jack said that the Devils gave him no hint as to who they are going to take, he had a huge smirk on his face.

Combine interview with Shero:

https://www.nhl.com/news/devils-ray-shero-on-hughes-kakko-trading-top-pick/c-307600318?tid=277764372

Have you talked to Taylor Hall about Hughes, given that they've skated together in past summers?

"No, I haven't. I should probably ask Jack about Taylor (laughs). No, I think it's neat, that relationship. I think it's kind of cool. I think they're both going to be training again this summer with Andy O'Brien. I think that would be awesome." (Hall is a forward for the Devils).

Edited by Neb00rs
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, glenwo2 said:

Uhh...you do remember who was on the other side, right?    

Patrick Friggin' Roy.  

He was under siege for a good time during the games by NJ.      He just stood on his head. 

It's not like Martin Jones was on the other end and everyone is like "Oh my god!  Marty was brutal in losing to a team with Martin Jones in net!". 

Patrick Roy beat Martin Brodeur.     HOF'er beats HOF'er.      

All one can do is shrug his or her shoulders and move on. 

Brodeur was brutal in that series regardless of who else is on the other side.  It is not like Roy and Marty were taking rink-length shots against each other and Roy happen to win.

14 hours ago, Jerzey said:

Between Finnish people and Rags fans I’ve been banned from multiple threads on HF. This draft might get me banned from HF altogether.

They are equally brutal in the Devils groups as well.

8 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

that was the thing with Marty at times... he'd stop pucks that no one else in the world would have stopped... but then he'd let in a shot that just about any goalie playing professional hockey would stop routinely lol 

According to a good chunk of our fanbase only Cory does that.  Marty never, ever had that happen.

16 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

According to a good chunk of our fanbase only Cory does that.  Marty never, ever had that happen.

Marty definitely gave up his fair share of bad angle goals down low. 

Cory I can’t say it’s really one type of soft goal. Never know what to expect with bad Cory tbh...

9 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

that was the thing with Marty at times... he'd stop pucks that no one else in the world would have stopped... but then he'd let in a shot that just about any goalie playing professional hockey would stop routinely lol 

The above was more true during that four-year run where he put up season save%s of .906, .910, .906, and .906...but even then, he still showed the ability to step it up come playoff time (2000 in particular).  2001 stands out because he really was pretty bad in the SCF that year.  Roy outplayed him by a wide margin...he put up a .938 save% to Marty's .870 for the series, and I remember Marty looking as shaky as .870 would suggest.  That playoff run (despite some good mini-bursts) was really Marty's low point, as far as his peak years went...he only faced 19.8 Shots Per Game for the 2001 playoffs...that doesn't tell the whole story of course, but the fact is the Devils were clearly being hurt by very ordinary and inconsistent netminding.  He was a great player and great players as we well know aren't always great, but that was one season where it truly felt like he really got in the way. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I say this as a huge Marty fan, but his greatness to me was less pure puckstopping and more about insane level of consistency. Very few injuries, and almost never followed a bad game with another bad game. This is why 2001 sticks out to much. He was well below average in those finals. 

Back on topic, i will be absolutely shocked if Hughes is not a Devil after reading that stuff posted above. And i still hold out hope that the Rangers go full Giants and take the Russian instead of Kakko. 

Edited by Devil Dan 56
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, Neb00rs said:

Combine Interview with Jack Hughes:

https://www.nhl.com/news/five-questions-with-jack-hughes/c-307595994?tid=277764372

Also on an NHL.com podcast with someone who interviewed Jack after he left the Devils meeting room, the interviewer said that although Jack said that the Devils gave him no hint as to who they are going to take, he had a huge smirk on his face.

Combine interview with Shero:

https://www.nhl.com/news/devils-ray-shero-on-hughes-kakko-trading-top-pick/c-307600318?tid=277764372

Have you talked to Taylor Hall about Hughes, given that they've skated together in past summers?

"No, I haven't. I should probably ask Jack about Taylor (laughs). No, I think it's neat, that relationship. I think it's kind of cool. I think they're both going to be training again this summer with Andy O'Brien. I think that would be awesome." (Hall is a forward for the Devils).

NO...REALLY?????  You don't say....    

I laugh that they added that at the end as if the people reading the article were noobs to the game of Hockey, let alone the NHL.   :haha2:

5 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

Brodeur was brutal in that series regardless of who else is on the other side.  It is not like Roy and Marty were taking rink-length shots against each other and Roy happen to win.

They are equally brutal in the Devils groups as well.

Since they deleted my awesome Scarface reference on HF I’ll use it here. I’m starting like like Finnish people about as much as Tony Montana likes Colombians.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, glenwo2 said:

Did you post that in the Main Thread?  

No it was in the newer Kakko vs Hughes one. They deleted it probably because the Finns started crying over it. Mods over there are soft as sh!t too. They also deleted a post of mine that said they they were too sensitive. 

Just now, SterioDesign said:

Hopefully it takes awhile before he hears about the You suck chant and the lame Rangers suck chant when we're not even playing the Rangers... lol

Sadly, he’ll know all about it after his first game, I’m sure lol.

6 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Hopefully it takes awhile before he hears about the You suck chant and the lame Rangers suck chant when we're not even playing the Rangers... lol

SD, I can just imagine his confusion after he scores a goal.     He'll ask Hall "Why are they saying 'I suck'?  Am I doing something wrong?"

6 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

SD, I can just imagine his confusion after he scores a goal.     He'll ask Hall "Why are they saying 'I suck'?  Am I doing something wrong?"

Who was it a few years ago who scored a goal and the fans started throwing hats on the ice... it wasn't even a hat trick... and the player was clearly confused? damn who was it? i'm thinking Kovalchuk?

Anyone remember this?

edit : i'm pretty confident it was when Kovy scored his first goal for NJ... and fans just... threw hats on the ice... because. lol

Edited by SterioDesign

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

Who was it a few years ago who scored a goal and the fans started throwing hats on the ice... it wasn't even a hat trick... and the player was clearly confused? damn who was it? i'm thinking Kovalchuk?

Anyone remember this?

edit : i'm pretty confident it was when Kovy scored his first goal for NJ... and fans just... threw hats on the ice... because. lol

Yep, it was Kovalchuk’s first goal as a Devil. I was at that game. It was hat night and everyone was so happy he finally scored (he hadn’t scored in his first few games after the trade, so there was a bit of a monkey on his back), they started throwing the giveaway hats on the ice lol.

• Like 1