Hughes or Kakko

Jerzey

Hughes or Kakko?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Who should Shero pick?

2 hours ago, MB3 said:

Fun thread to bump. Go look at the voters. Not a great look from SD… he’s allowed to judge others using the benefit of hindsight, wonder if the other side of that coin can be used that liberally! (jk he “leaned” kakko but was overall complimentary of both)

Although to be totally fair it’s neck and neck:

Jack Hughes: 24g-30a-54p

Kaapo Kakko 24g-30a-54p

oh wait I accidentally posted Jack’s season stats so far and Kaapo’s career stats (in 151 games) 

Yup no shame, can fully admit it that i voted Kakko but as quoted below, i changed my mind early in the process. Also i was dead wrong about Jack being a smaller Matthews... lol not at all the same type of player a single bit. 

On 4/10/2019 at 11:20 AM, SterioDesign said:

Yeah i voted Kakko simply cause this seemed like Patrick vs Hischier all over again.

What really helped me picking Hischier over Patrick that year though is that i read a report saying Hischier was basically Zetterberg and Patrick was Eric Staal.... personally i'd pick Zetterberg all day long for the devils so that's how i made my decision.

This year... sounds like Hughes is basically a smaller Matthews? And Kakko... the only comparison i heard was Forsberg..... but you also always hear insane comparison... remember when Larsson was compared to Lidstrom? lol

After watching a bunch of videos and read everything i could find though i'm going back to Hughes though... he makes other players better and we'd be solid down the middle which is what you need

I was 100% against drafting Holtz, very vocal and firm about that one, i want Rossi really bad. Looks like i may be eating crows on that one.

I was also 100% against drafting Nolan Patrick and was full on team Nico. That was a landslide.

You win some, you lose some.

This year i don't want to draft anyone with top 5 pick cause i don't like any of the prospects and want to trade it for an NHL player. In hindsight that might be dumb too. We'll see.

Not sure what you're talking about about judging others using the benefit of hindsight though honestly.

Edited by SterioDesign

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

Also Kakko not living up to that hype so far. Hell he's not even better than Kotkaniemi i think this i think lol

Rantanen had the worst numbers of all 4 in Liiga, and yet he’s by far the best player now. Go figure. 

On 4/9/2019 at 9:33 PM, mfitz804 said:

Based on what I’ve heard, it’s not a Nico vs. Nolan thing. You choose Hughes. 

On 4/10/2019 at 7:23 AM, mfitz804 said:

And I’ll still have problems remembering which is his first name and which is his last name. 

On 4/10/2019 at 10:44 AM, mfitz804 said:

I hope there’s no friction between him and Seney over the jersey number. I think the response from management would be something like “Ok Brett, you can have a Binghamton jersey with whatever number you like”. 

On 4/10/2019 at 3:43 PM, mfitz804 said:

Yup. You don't trade down so that you don't have to make a decision, that's stupid. Be a man, grow a pair and make a decision, for better or for worse. 

Also, you don't trade down with the Rangers. What's worse, if the guy that they take at #2 turns out to be better than our guy at #1, or the guy who they take at #1 turns out to be better and you handed him right to them?

If you ask me, the first is "sh!t happens", while the second is "someone should be fired". 

On 4/10/2019 at 10:05 PM, mfitz804 said:

Lorraine McFly was one of the biggest goers in movie history. Was totally going to fvck her own future son. 

On 4/11/2019 at 9:59 AM, mfitz804 said:

Kaapo Kakko sounds like one of those weird foreign candy bars you see at the counter of a bodega in a very ethnic neighborhood. 

On 4/11/2019 at 12:44 PM, mfitz804 said:

Vancouver isn't so anxious to add Hughes that they would put up Petterson.

And if they are, well maybe we shouldn't be trading the right to draft him. 

On 4/13/2019 at 8:11 PM, mfitz804 said:

I don’t think the debate even exists in Shero’s mind. 

On 4/18/2019 at 9:19 PM, mfitz804 said:

No. There was a definite “one or the other” vibe, nobody really knew who we were picking between the two. I think this year, everyone expects us to pick Hughes. 

Although, we do have room for a “KK” on our roster now.

On 4/18/2019 at 9:33 PM, mfitz804 said:

He still looks 14 or 15 lol. 

On 4/18/2019 at 9:39 PM, mfitz804 said:

Bratt and Hughes look like they add up to 21. 

Some of my highlights, to be honest I am glad they held up as well as they did. 

On 5/10/2019 at 2:32 PM, mfitz804 said:

I don't know why, but I feel like if we take Hughes and Kakko turns out better, I would still feel better than if we take Kakko and Hughes turns out to be better. 

Still feel this way too. 

Edited by mfitz804

If you have a choice between a center and wing, I probably would take the C most of the time. Especially considering the hype surrounding Hughes, who was projected to be a franchise player. He has proven to be that. He had the skating and skill. That was obvious from watching him on Team USA. He just needed to get stronger. Now, he's a human highlight reel. 

Kakko was bigger and stronger than everyone his age. Maybe that worked against him. We saw this guy dominate on the forecheck. He's a puck possession beast. However, too much was made out of his WJC gold medal winner. He didn't rip up that tournament. There were other players even on his team who outperformed him.  

I feel in watching him for two-plus years now, he still hasn't shown the shot they talked about. But nobody knew he fractured his hand. His overall game has improved. Kakko is good defensively and improved his skating. The question is what can the Rangers expect when he returns in April. I would temper expectations. 

What exactly will they sign him for as a RFA? It can't be too much. He just still prove he's worth it. Year 4 looms large. 

There is no comparison between the two players.