Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Jerzey

Hughes or Kakko

Hughes or Kakko?  

75 members have voted

  1. 1. Who should Shero pick?



Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

Hughes will be our Johnny Gudreau/Patrick Kane.

a less rapey Patty Kane all day lets go!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Teams like the Flames, Capitals and Lightning have been sh!tting on us for a while. It'll be nice once things start evening out. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

a less rapey Patty Kane all day lets go!

Well, he couldn’t be more!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

Teams like the Flames, Capitals and Lightning have been sh!tting on us for a while. It'll be nice once things start evening out. 

hall, Nico, palms, Hughes and bratt are on their way to change that... lets use some of those picks to make a move to improve the D and hope that smith will be ready to make an impact next season. All of a sudden we can feel that we have a lot to look forward to very soon and more importantly for years to come

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/11/2019 at 9:38 AM, Nicomo said:

Yes, but who’s going against the better competition? Most of the men in the Finnish league are playing there for a reason right? Whereas Hughes is going up against more actual NHL caliber prospects. 

Liiga is a professional league. It's not filled with players who aren't good enough to become *professionals*. It's not filled with teenagers who won't have a professional career. Kakko plays significantly tougher competition in Liiga.

Edited by Marshall
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still, Hughes is only just turning 18.  He has plenty of time to grow.  Hasn't Nico the last two years?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, aclc79 said:

Still, Hughes is only just turning 18.  He has plenty of time to grow.  Hasn't Nico the last two years?

It’s possible I guess. I’ve been the same height since I was 13. 

Nico bulked up a bit but I don’t think he “grew”. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

It’s possible I guess. I’ve been the same height since I was 13. 

Nico bulked up a bit but I don’t think he “grew”. 

It can happen. I think you, in particular, are familiar with one of the Devils prospects who "grew" after turning 18.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/12/2019 at 3:50 PM, MB3 said:

Tbh I think there's a nonzero chance the Rangers either trade down to #3 or take Podkolzin at #2. It's not likely, but it's not impossible. They're building a little Russian team there; Shestyorkin, Kravstov and Rykov will be major players for them for a while. I've heard that Kreider has learned how to speak Russian so he can ease their transition. If they draft Podkolzin, you're kidding yourself if you don't think NYR becomes a clear favorite to land Panarin. 

It's inconceivable this would happen. The dropoff from 2 to 3 is huge as we stand now. There's no way the Rangers are trading down from an 18 year old (he was 17 for most of the season) who finished 6th in goals in the Finnish Elite League to a player who has questionable commitments to leaving Russia right away. They draft Kakko they get a player who becomes immediately impactful for them and who most likely will be a 40 goal scorer sooner rather than later.

Edited by Neb00rs
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The following article is another interesting take on Hughes/Kakko:

https://www.msgnetworks.com/2019/04/11/nhl-qa-analyzing-the-games-of-hughes-and-kakko/

On Hughes:

Quote

Steve Kournianos: I would say Hughes is one of the most advanced draft prospects we’ve seen in a decade or so. He’s been ticketed for the top of his draft class for several years, and for good reason. He’s the kind of prospect people will pay good money to see and be rewarded win or lose, which can’t be said about every recent first overall pick.

MSGNetworks.com: If you had to use a pro comparison for Hughes, who would you pick?

Steve Kournianos: Although I won’t go as far as to say he is on the level of a Sidney Crosby or Connor McDavid, Hughes shares several similarities with them, namely Crosby’s elite edge work and hockey sense, and McDavid’s explosiveness and vision. His stickhandling is very close to Kane’s, but there aren’t many players past or present who can cleanly control the puck through traffic the way the Chicago star can. Hughes comes incredibly close though.

On Kakko:

Quote

Steve Kournianos: His one-timer from the right circle at this stage of his development is equal to that of Alex Ovechkin’s or Patrik Laine’s during their respective draft years.

MSGNetworks.com: Who would be the closest pro comparison for Kakko?

Steve Kournianos: The knee-jerk comparison is to liken Kakko with fellow countryman Mikko Rantanen, who stars for the Colorado Avalanche. But I see him as a young Rick Nash – a bull of a forward who can shoulder away any defender regardless of size and wear out opponents during the cycle. The way Kakko slings pucks on net off the pass is similar to the likes of Ovechkin and Steven Stamkos.

 

Edited by Neb00rs
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

The following article is another interesting take on Hughes/Kakko:

https://www.msgnetworks.com/2019/04/11/nhl-qa-analyzing-the-games-of-hughes-and-kakko/

On Hughes:

On Kakko:

 

Such an interesting choice Ray has to make. Kakko fits so much of what the Devils need (and tried unsuccessfully to find for many years under Lou and Conte) in that he's a big talented forward who can score and punish the other team. 

But I just don't see how you can pass on a guy with Hughes skill set. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It isn’t difficult. You build from the middle out. You’ve got a bonifide #1 center staring you in the face. You draft that bonifide #1 center.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Such an interesting choice Ray has to make. Kakko fits so much of what the Devils need (and tried unsuccessfully to find for many years under Lou and Conte) in that he's a big talented forward who can score and punish the other team. 

But I just don't see how you can pass on a guy with Hughes skill set. 

Indeed Kakko is a player the Devils have long needed. When you watch Kakko fire one-timers at the net, it's not hard to see Laine or even some Ovechkin in him and having Nico, Hall, and in certain cases Bratt to feed him passes would be excellent. 

But you gotta go with best player available here and that's what the Devils are going to do. Hughes.

Edited by Neb00rs
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Indeed Kakko is a player the Devils have long needed. When you watch Kakko fire one-timers at the net, it's not hard to see Laine or even some Ovechkin in him and having Nico, Hall, and in certain cases Bratt to feed him passes would be excellent. 

But you gotta go with best player available here and that's what the Devils are going to do. Hughes.

Well i feel it's better to have a guy with skills and vision who can make everyone around him better and make anyone on his line score with his setups. Than a deadly sniper relying on other guys to set him up. Cause after awhile the other teams knows how to play you and take away your space

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well i feel it's better to have a guy with skills and vision who can make everyone around him better and make anyone on his line score with his setups. Than a deadly sniper relying on other guys to set him up. Cause after awhile the other teams knows how to play you and take away your space

Kakko makes those around him better too but yeah, I'm agreeing on Hughes. I've seen Hughes do a few things on the ice that made me laugh. Sydney Crosby-type stuff. We can't pass on this guy no matter how bad the Rangers-loving MSG analysts want us to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Kakko makes those around him better too but yeah, I'm agreeing on Hughes. I've seen Hughes do a few things on the ice that made me laugh. Sydney Crosby-type stuff. We can't pass on this guy no matter how bad the Rangers-loving MSG analysts want us to.

It’s a no brainer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The choice becomes easier when you see the MSG doofuses playing up Kakko over Hughes. That's when you know something is up. Also, then watch the goal Hughes scores at 3:47 lmao.

 

Edited by Neb00rs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

The choice becomes easier when you see the MSG doofuses taking the rare stance of playing up Kakko over Hughes. That's when you know something is up. Also, then watch the goal Hughes scores at 3:47 lmao.

Who the fvck listens to this guy and goes "Lets put him on TV"....?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Who the fvck listens to this guy and goes "Lets put him on TV"....?

They want us to draft Kaako so bad. They just needed Daneyko in there to respond like,  "U mad bro?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

They want us to draft Kaako so bad. They just needed Daneyko in there to respond like,  "U mad bro?"

I mean Rags fans will listen to this doucher but everyone who has an opinion you'd trust says Hughes. The sh!t he says makes it so easy to tell her is just homering hard and he sounds like an idiot.

I recommend people here listen to the most recent Bobcast where he talks about just how good he thinks Hughes is and you won't be able to stop your hockey boner. He even basically says he is so fast, tenacious, and a powerful skater, and creative it makes up for the lack of size. "As soon as I saw him I go wow, that's Mitch Marner with an extra gear".

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-1050/tsn-hockey-bobcast-season-3-episode-14-1.1285740

EDIT: I don't meant to say that Kakko won't be really good and there is a chance draft predictions could change but I don't trust this loser's opinion on it lol.

Edited by NJDevils1214
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Must pick Hughes in this spot. I cant remember the last time the Devils had a center of this caliber.  Probably never. Now's your chance. You need to take him. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

Must pick Hughes in this spot. I cant remember the last time the Devils had a center of this caliber.  Probably never. Now's your chance. You need to take him. 

I don’t think the debate even exists in Shero’s mind. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

one thing i really liked in a video that i saw is that someone was saying that Jack is obsessed with hockey. he'll practice and play as much as he can, when he's not then he's watching hockey, doing research, trying to learn as much as he can... and the person (i forget who it is) was saying that when Jack is talking with someone who played or interacted with big star players, that he's always asking tons of questions about them, to learn how they were and what made them special etc etc

For sure if we do draft him, i want him to sit with Elias so he can take in as much as possible from him

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.