2019 Offseason Thread

Daniel

Just now, vadvlfan said:

Don't you think a couple of these will be dealt to upgrade somewhere? Also, I think we need a couple big boys that can skate (ride shotgun with JH. ). Wonder if anyone would have interest in Q & maybe McCleod?

Only as throw-ins.  Q has pretty much no value...pretty soon he'll be a guy who floats from AHL team to AHL team, until he decides it's time to give up the dream.  McLeod has a little value, but not very much.  First full pro season was not terribly impressive overall...though I guess you can say that at least he didn't seem to be completely helpless at the NHL level. 

I think pretty much everyone expects some of these picks to be moved.  Only possible exception I see is if Shero is looking to dump some of the current AHLers for upgrades (through drafting), but I think at least one deal for a "young vet" or "will play on the Devils right away" kind of piece is coming.  I understand Shero's thinking when he's done this, but the results have been mixed:  Palms, MoJo, Mueller and Bennett were all acquired this way.  Palms was a great homework trade, in that his meh-ish numbers as a Duck had more to do with lack of opportunity than lack of talent.  Devils and MoJo couldn't have had worse luck, as far as that one goes, but it had all of the makings of being a good deal at the time it was made.  Mueller was a classic "former first-rounder, maybe we can get more out of him than his first team did" gamble...so far, not much of a return.  Bennett was a similar situation...former first-rounder, maybe Devils are able to get some of that ability out of him. 

11 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

McLeod has a little value, but not very much.  First full pro season was not terribly impressive overall...though I guess you can say that at least he didn't seem to be completely helpless at the NHL level. 

Again, the kid played with scrubs on a completely disinterested team, playing bottom line minutes. Even with that he showed improvement during his time up here. Far too early to be this critical. Also posted pretty good numbers in Binghamton. Next year is his time to make a stand, however.

44 minutes ago, devlman said:

Again, the kid played with scrubs on a completely disinterested team, playing bottom line minutes. Even with that he showed improvement during his time up here. Far too early to be this critical. Also posted pretty good numbers in Binghamton. Next year is his time to make a stand, however.

Numbers at Bingo were not really good. 

The Devils were not disinterested at all...losing a fair amount + not being terribly talented doesn't equal disinterest.  That team was trying right up until the very end.  They just weren't very good.

McLeod definitely has a chance to up his value even if he's not on the big club next season, but my observation is based on right now.  If you're a GM from another team, do you have much interest in McLeod, based on his pro body of work to date (or to put it another way...are you coughing up anywhere near a #12 overall pick for him)?  That's what I mean when I say that his value isn't very high as of the 2019 offseason.  Maybe he makes some strides next year, in his second full pro season.  Still young but unfortunately not THAT young anymore...he'll turn 22 mid-season next year.  I agree in that 2019-20 is a biggie for him...I have a feeling that he's going to be moved in a 2020 deadline deal as part of a package (Hughes would pretty much make him obsolete, as far as the NHL Devils go), but that really depends if the Devils are legit buyers at that point.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

2 hours ago, vadvlfan said:

Don't you think a couple of these will be dealt to upgrade somewhere? Also, I think we need a couple big boys that can skate (ride shotgun with JH. ). Wonder if anyone would have interest in Q & maybe McCleod?

i think.... it's likely that Shero will look into possible trades. Any good GM is always looking at ways to improve his team but i don't think he HAS to trade them.

Also, no need to wonder... no nobody would have interest in Q or McLeod lol 

1 hour ago, devlman said:

he was not even a factor and barely played on a very below average team Canada junior team... i guess it's not impossible that he finds his game but im really not holding my breath

11 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

So what’s are the chances Elias is a full time assistant coach next year? Was his stint the final week of the season a test or something? I’d love to have him back in the organization.

I don’t know if Patty is ready to commit to something like that yet, but I’d welcome him with open arms.

3 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Hall, Palms, Noesen, Cory, Henrique, Getzlaf, and Cam Fowler took a trip down to the Masters.

B07DE259-4316-4AAD-9CDF-49A81943320D.jpeg

Ok so that means Henrique, Fowler and Getzlaf all know Hall so they will be here next season too. 

This lineup is now awesome.

Hall Hischier Eberle

Getzlaf Hughes Palmieri

Henrique Coleman Wood

Clinton Trump Kardashian 

Fowler Smith

Karlsson Severson

Butcher Greene

Jesus Christ

Blackwood

Stanley Cup is imminent. 

• Haha 2

Nice article in the Athletic about Ty Smith, pumped to see him next season

https://theathletic.com/918350/2019/04/11/a-special-player-from-prodigy-to-whl-superstar-devils-prospect-ty-smith-is-ready-for-the-nhl-spotlight/

“Ty loves the game. He has so much passion for it,” Lambert said. “If he could, I think he’d stay here until 8 p.m. every night watching video with either (assistant coach) Scott Burt or myself because he just continuously wants to learn and get better and pick up little things. The stuff he picks up is not normal. It’s what elite players pick up when they’re 27 years old, not at 18.

Edited by lucifer91
  • Like 4

We’re up in Buffalo for frozen four with no plans this evening.   Thinking of driving over to Rochester for Amerks vs B devils.   Anyone know if McLeod, Bastian and Anderson have been returned to Binghamton and would they be playing?  Couldn’t find the info on Binghamton website from my phone.  

13 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Ok so that means Henrique, Fowler and Getzlaf all know Hall so they will be here next season too. 

This lineup is now awesome.

Hall Hischier Eberle

Getzlaf Hughes Palmieri

Henrique Coleman Wood

Clinton Trump Kardashian 

Fowler Smith

Karlsson Severson

Butcher Greene

Jesus Christ

Blackwood

Stanley Cup is imminent. 

Post. Of. The. Year.

Thinking about this week and how excited I am for next few months. Jack gives us the flexibility to know what we have down the middle for a while. We go out and get a winger, maybe even an Eberle on FA - could let us direct assets to acquiring a D. I do wonder if possible to talk to Trouba to get a contract -  if WPG gets gone early - and some package involving Butcher/Wood/2020 1st lottery protected/2019 2nd ?

Hall-Hughes-Eberle/Skinner
Palms-Nico-Bratt
Zacha-Zajac-Coleman
Bastian-Rooney-Anderson
Agostino

Vatanen Trouba
Greene Carrick
Smith Severson

29/35

I would take a flyer on Simmonds for cheap for some toughness on top 6 - but not sure he's not got much left in the tank.

1 hour ago, HellOnICE said:

Thinking about this week and how excited I am for next few months. Jack gives us the flexibility to know what we have down the middle for a while. We go out and get a winger, maybe even an Eberle on FA - could let us direct assets to acquiring a D. I do wonder if possible to talk to Trouba to get a contract -  if WPG gets gone early - and some package involving Butcher/Wood/2020 1st lottery protected/2019 2nd ?

Palms-Nico-Bratt
Zacha-Zajac-Coleman
Bastian-Rooney-Anderson
Agostino

Vatanen Trouba
Greene Carrick
Smith Severson

29/35

I would take a flyer on Simmonds for cheap for some toughness on top 6 - but not sure he's not got much left in the tank.

Boyle back or Simmonds would be good, even just for net front presence roles. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HellOnICE said:

Palms-Nico-Bratt
Zacha-Zajac-Coleman
Bastian-Rooney-Anderson
Agostino

Vatanen Trouba
Greene Carrick
Smith Severson

29/35

Why have Severson as a 3rd pairing? I thought Carrick looked decent in a small sample size, but I don’t think he’s better than Severson. 

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

Why have Severson as a 3rd pairing? I thought Carrick looked decent in a small sample size, but I don’t think he’s better than Severson. 

Agreed. I’d reverse the 2nd and 3rd pairings, actually. I have no problem putting an unproven Smith ahead of Greene at this point, at least to start. Assuming everyone is on the side they play on, because I honestly never remember that. 

47 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Agreed. I’d reverse the 2nd and 3rd pairings, actually. I have no problem putting an unproven Smith ahead of Greene at this point, at least to start. Assuming everyone is on the side they play on, because I honestly never remember that. 

Oh I didn't distinguish really the pairings, just how I typed them out. But yeah the TOI would be Severson/Smith ahead of Carrick and Greene.

• Like 1