2019 Offseason Thread

Daniel

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I'm really thinking Trouba might be obtainable with the glutton of high picks and cheap young contracts available.

Very interested to see what Shero pulls off.

The issue with Trouba is that he can control where he gets traded to.  I believe he is a UFA after next season, so realistically any team that trades for him will want a long term deal as part of the trade.  

Winnipeg might want Butcher from us so he can be reunited with Dylan Samberg.  I would dangle our 2020 first rounder if that appeals to them more given the cap crunch they’re likely to have. 

EDIT:  Whoops, I had it in my head for some reason that Butcher went to UMD with Samberg.  Maybe got him confused with Joey Anderson.

Edited by Daniel

23 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Guy is going to be 26 this offseason...not sure what the point of this one is.  Depth signing I guess?  

29 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Well... Not that i can pretend that i know that league well or how those stats can translate in the NHL... but Derek Roy who was not good enough for the NHL anymore finished 3rd in scoring this year... outproducing that Jakob kid... so not exactly sure about this.

I guess it's interesting that they are looking at LW though... it feels like we have quite a bit of those in the system. If we're going to add a LW it would have to be a LEGIT top 6

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Wonder if Ray takes a flyer on a guy never drafted wants to play in the NHL & may just succeed. He missed with Yak (I thought he was better than some of our other D) The Russian guy the year before, maybe take a shot with this guy. Like Pasta, you throw it at the wall,  until it sticks?

4 hours ago, vadvlfan said:

Wonder if Ray takes a flyer on a guy never drafted wants to play in the NHL & may just succeed. He missed with Yak (I thought he was better than some of our other D) The Russian guy the year before, maybe take a shot with this guy. Like Pasta, you throw it at the wall,  until it sticks?

He didn't miss with Yak. Other than Hynes having a hate boner for him, Yak played well. I still don't get it. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Appropriate. Loser.

My thoughts exactly.  Usually whenever the Rangers or Flyers hire or sign someone, I have to look for ways for me to hate them and hope for their eventual failure.  With this signing, I didn't have to look hard.  And it's great. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, LittleBallofHate said:

Good news for Jesper Bratt - this should be a great experience for him! And hopefully, Boqvist also makes the team... The amazing Jespers!?

Should a guy who barely limped to the end of the regular season be playing in that tournament?

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Should a guy who barely limped to the end of the regular season be playing in that tournament?

Valid question.

Could be that maybe his injury wasn't that serious and we just didn't rush him back given the state of the team at the time.

19 hours ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

Article on Espn mentions that Brian Burke is butthurt that we won the lotto again.

He can suck it.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/26504590/wysh-list-five-ways-improve-stanley-cup-playoffs

I agree with him that teams that barely miss the playoffs should not be in the lottery, but to put NJ in the same sentence as Edmonton is bullsh!t. We have been next to dog sh!t for almost a decade and before that were stuck in mediocrity for years. We got lucky twice and just last year were in the playoffs and picked 17th. He's a clown. Slurp this at the trough 🍆.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

Article on Espn mentions that Brian Burke is butthurt that we won the lotto again.

He can suck it.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/26504590/wysh-list-five-ways-improve-stanley-cup-playoffs

He'd have a much better point if the Devils weren't trying...but they are.  I could understand the annoyance more if it was obvious that the Devils were just trading away their better players for assets that clearly had no chance to contribute for several years, with the hope that the team would lose as much as possible in the present...but that wasn't the case.  Shero's brought in players like Hall and MoJo, played guys who had a better chance to succeed than others (like Blackwood over KK)...and they went to the fvcking playoffs in 2017-18.  The Devils were hammered with a slew of injuries this year, including one to the ONE guy they absolutely could not afford to lose in Hall.  Cory finally appeared to find his game again, but unfortunately it took a lot longer than the Devils would've liked I'm sure.  And this season, the Devils did what you're SUPPOSED to do when you're not going to the playoffs and you have UFAs you don't think you'll re-sign...you trade such players for what you can get, and Shero did very well there...yeah, hurt the team for the rest of this season, but that was over anyway...teams become sellers with the future in mind all of the time.  The Devils happened to get VERY lucky twice.  That's it.  The lottery system is what it is.  Sure, I got annoyed with Edmonton winning the #1 overall so many times too, but anomalies can happen in lottery systems (and yes, there's been changes to it through the years).  And as we've seen, in any given year, you can definitely have a leaner pool of players, with no clear-cut #1 that's a sure thing to set your franchise in the right direction.  You can wind up with a Nail Yakupov or a Patrik Stefan or an Alexandre Daigle...or even a Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, while the team with the 58th selection in that same draft winds up with Nikita Kucherov. 

The #1 is an awesome perk, but rarely a guarantee of better things to come in the immediate future, even if it's a generational guy (not like Lemieux or Ovechkin or their teams enjoyed immediate success). 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

If anything I like the extra games to simulate some playoff games if he's healthy enough to play. Hopefully his seasons will be extending into May/June in the future. 

How about "The Bratt Jack" as a nickname for a Bratt Hughes line? Too soon for that? 

Pretty good article by Todd Cordell about the RFAs and UFAs on the Devils currently up for deals:

https://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=98995

Here's where I stand:

DUMP:  Quenneville, Noesen, Stafford, Gabriel.  Q is an NHL zilch, Noesen had his chance to build off last season, Gabriel is a complete clown, and whenever Stafford plays, it's because a lot of other sh!t went horribly wrong...I just can't excited about an old warm body who occasionally has a shootout moment.  Just move on from these four.

KEEP (short-term):  Mueller, Agostino, Yakovlev, Carrick (none really excite, and with the three defensemen listed, not like the Devils are rife with defensive depth at the moment...I say keep of the three D, maybe keep two). 

KEEP (longer-term):  Butcher and Zacha.  I think Zacha can start to find success here, as he really shouldn't have to try to provide 2C offense anymore.  If he becomes a well-rounded 40-45 point "Unsung Hero" type who can play effectively in a lot of situations, I'll take it.  I still like Butch, think he can improve. 

• Like 2

Just now, Daniel said:

I hold out a glimmer of hope that Zacha can turn into a Ryan Johansen type player.  A long term deal that pays him less than $3 million AAV would be a pretty good risk to take.

Damn, seems like you're aiming pretty high...in the last 6 seasons, Johansen's put up 373 points in 485 GP.  Over the last four seasons, he's been steady goal-wise...about 14-15 per 82 GP.  That I can see Zacha reaching...maybe even exceeding.  Can't see him coming close to Johansen's assist pace (about 46 per 82 GP)...or ever becoming a consistent 60+ point guy.  And if Hughes is a Devils draftee and storms in here, don't see Zacha getting anywhere near Johansen's minutes either (Johansen led forwards in that category for the Preds).  Zacha should get 3C minutes unless Hughes or Hischier get hurt...and if Zajac's outplaying Zacha, that could get even murkier.   

I agree though, I'm not opposed to 3-4 years at about $2.5 - 2.9 million per for Zacha.  It's definitely a risk and it will be infuriating if there's yet another series of starts and stops before he starts to figure things again next year, but sometimes you take a shot with a younger player like this and hope he's either solid value or a real bargain by the end of his deal.  But for me, I have his ceiling locked in at a 3C.  Anything beyond that just seems like fool's gold.