2019 Offseason Thread

Daniel

16 hours ago, DJ Eco said:

I don't know where you're going to find a perennial 25-30 goal scorer for $4.65m/year to "just replace" Palmieri. Building a winning roster is ALL about holding onto those thrifty signings that score you goals the way Palms does, while not breaking the bank so you can fill out the team around him.

I mean, sure, you can find those 25-30 goals elsewhere, sign a high end UFA winger, but it'll cost $8-9m/year, and what will that money take away from in the long game of putting the right roster together? That's a $4-5m you can't throw toward Hall or Hischier in a few years, or whoever it is we're trying to retain once we're closer to the cap, or even other UFAs. That's a whole other player right there.

I have to agree with this. Other than Palms, the viable RW candidates on this roster are Bastian, Anderson, and Noesen. That is fine for bottom 6 depth and PK'ing, but not for top 6 minutes.

There are lots of moving pieces, and I apologize if I've missed some others' projections, but this is how I see it with the holes on the right side that need to be addressed with current NHL'ers or those I've mentioned above.

Hall - Hischier - Palmieri

Bratt - Hughes - X

Coleman - Zajac - X

Wood - Zacha - X

18 hours ago, NLinfante said:

I have to agree with this. Other than Palms, the viable RW candidates on this roster are Bastian, Anderson, and Noesen. That is fine for bottom 6 depth and PK'ing, but not for top 6 minutes.

There are lots of moving pieces, and I apologize if I've missed some others' projections, but this is how I see it with the holes on the right side that need to be addressed with current NHL'ers or those I've mentioned above.

Hall - Hischier - Palmieri

Bratt - Hughes - X

Coleman - Zajac - X

Wood - Zacha - X

Wow, I did not know how thin we really were there!  Retaining Palms seems to be a no-brainer.

Yeah, it's a little thin. It might not be quite as dire as how I made it out, but it's close. Cordell posted the other day about how Bratt could play on the right side and Boqvist could fill his spot on the left - which isn't crazy if he makes the team. I'm not exactly as picky as Mike Babcock about the RH/LH thing, but Shero certainly can't build a team of all left handed players without giving his coaching staff fits when dealing with the breakout or a 1-3-1 PP (if that's what they're sticking with). I know they're professional players and they are talented on the backhand, but having a mix has to be a thought at some point.

8 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Nico Hischier...brought to you by Trojans. 

Nico with the quite the deek-o...

39 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Nico with the quite the deek-o...

No holes in his game lol. 

“When Nico Hischier is on the ice, he has no holes in his game. In the bedroom, he expects the same from his condoms. Trojans. There’s no holes in our game.”

Edited by mfitz804
  • Haha 5

15 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

When looking for the world's roster I saw there is a team in GB called the Cardiff Devils. Their jerseys look like NJD. Are we affiliated and I missed it? 

No affiliation. They wore black red and white for a while, but they do also have some red and green jerseys as well. Pretty decent logo. Covered head to toe in ads because Europe. 

4 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

I have seen some of our fans unwittingly use their (Cardiff) logo on their custom and/or homemade NJ Devils items.

I halfway expected the Devils to use a devil face similar to that as a third jersey at some point. I’m sure most people would hate it.

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

I halfway expected the Devils to use a devil face similar to that as a third jersey at some point. I’m sure most people would hate it.

Their devil looks like it’s trying to squeeze out a big turd...instant legendary third jersey!

Edited by devlman

On 4/21/2019 at 9:09 PM, njbuff said:

You folks are putting way too much stock in Kyle Palmieri.

If you have to include him to get a good D man, you do it, plain and simple.

Palmieri doesn't offer this team anything if he isn't scoring goals.

The Devils can.always sign a winger to replace Palmieri. Getting a D man is tougher.

He does offer the third highest wipeouts per 60 mins next to Wood and Gabriel.  So let's not overlook that.