2019 Offseason Thread

Daniel

2 minutes ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

Ok, could you explain a bit? I don't get to see Myers play a lot so don't know much about him except he started with Buffalo.

Is he slow, inept, plodding, poor teammate?

He stinks.  He's been overrated ever since his rookie year and Buffalo of all teams threw him in the Kane deal.  He has bad possession numbers playing on a good team where he is not playing against the other team's best players and his time on ice has dropped steadily since he's been in Winnipeg who has made no efforts to keep him around, which tells you something. 

He's this offseason's Jack Johnson.  Just. Don't. Do It.

21 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Check out 1:23 - 1:33:

Why the networks or cable TV channels don't show Three O'Clock High more often is beyond me.  It seems like one of the network plays it once a year and that's it.  It is one of the greatest hidden gems of the HS teen genre from the 80's (along with Can't Buy Me Love).

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

From TSN Free Agent tracker:

624458505_freeagents.thumb.jpg.b78627bbf481327539c5860d881f0d38.jpg

Who knew that a 55 year old could still play...

Anyway, do we try and throw the bank at a guy like Myers? Or is that not a good idea?  Karlsson is obviously the best offensive dman available, but I feel we need pure defense at this point.

Myers plays with grit as well. Like to see him pursued but  being reasonable with $$$/term. I wonder if we're kinda set on Centers? Trav/Zacha/Nico & Hughes? I think Zucker be a nice addition. Nyquist? nah.

54 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

Myers plays with grit as well. Like to see him pursued but  being reasonable with $$$/term. I wonder if we're kinda set on Centers? Trav/Zacha/Nico & Hughes? I think Zucker be a nice addition. Nyquist? nah.

For the love of Odin, no Tyler Myers.  If we want grit on the blue line, we can bring back Lovejoy.

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

For the love of Odin, no Tyler Myers.  If we want grit on the blue line, we can bring back Lovejoy.

I'd take a flyer on Myers before I brought the Rev back.. and I actually liked his season/post season this year.

Myers as a top pair is bad news, Myers in the bottom 4 and not relied on to be THE shutdown guy would be fine at the right price.

1 minute ago, jagknife said:

I'd take a flyer on Myers before I brought the Rev back.. and I actually liked his season/post season this year.

Myers as a top pair is bad news, Myers in the bottom 4 and not relied on to be THE shutdown guy would be fine at the right price.

at this point i think i'd rather give a shot to one of our young guy and live with his rookie mistakes over signing an average guy for cheap

From Friedman’s 31 Thoughts this week: 31. Finally, congratulations to Matt Cane, hired by New Jersey as Director of Analytics. A few teams have tried to hire him, and this is the opportunity he chose. His work I’m most familiar with is on contracts. He’d do an annual spreadsheet predicting what various players would get on their upcoming deals, with guesstimates for different term lengths. His model was reasonably accurate, and I’ll miss going through it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

From Friedman’s 31 Thoughts this week: 31. Finally, congratulations to Matt Cane, hired by New Jersey as Director of Analytics. A few teams have tried to hire him, and this is the opportunity he chose. His work I’m most familiar with is on contracts. He’d do an annual spreadsheet predicting what various players would get on their upcoming deals, with guesstimates for different term lengths. His model was reasonably accurate, and I’ll miss going through it.

Wonder if there's a way to get a copy of some of his previous spreadsheets.  Even if it's just the data and not actually any formulas or calculations he may have used to guess and predict contracts.  Just would be interesting to see how close he was on some of the big names/contracts over the last few years.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Wonder if there's a way to get a copy of some of his previous spreadsheets.  Even if it's just the data and not actually any formulas or calculations he may have used to guess and predict contracts.  Just would be interesting to see how close he was on some of the big names/contracts over the last few years.

Maybe at a nerd convention. 

😉

9 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

The below was pinned to his twitter account. Sorry MFitz, I'm bringing the Nerd Convention to NJDevs! 🤓 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Q-Pnzfvmo_1hDlWu7WqJHVyTZqy15386jVESKSOf0V4/edit#gid=0

ETA: here's his twitter account, in case you want to go back further: https://twitter.com/cane_matt?lang=en

Edited by LittleBallofHate

On 5/11/2019 at 9:35 AM, vadvlfan said:

Consensus on Myers seems to be that if he wasn't a physical freak at 6'-7" or whatever he'd have washed out of the league ages ago.

Seems like one of those guys with the physical tools but zero between the ears.  

Unless we can get him on a very, very favorable contract I would pass.  Hard pass.

This came out 11 days ago and after looking through this thread only, I didnt see anything from that day other than a back and forth about a certain player which I wont name to avoid 2.0

Hypothetically speaking. say Marner wants $10.5m... I'd honestly have to give it a good thought for the cost. Hall/Nico/Bratt & Marner/Hughes/Palms... as a potential top 6....

Hell Devil Killer Point wouldnt be a bad guy to go after either

Of course, we need to lock up Hallsy but with the asinine cap space we'll have currently and will be off the books in the coming years....

Edited by jagknife

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 4:01 PM, mfitz804 said:

Maybe at a nerd convention. 

😉

😦😔

sh!t, I'm not normally cool enough to dig deep into analytical tools and the new-age data in sports, and I thought I was here though.

Didn't realize it was akin to asking for dungeons and dragons cheat codes lol. 

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 5:49 PM, LittleBallofHate said:

The below was pinned to his twitter account. Sorry MFitz, I'm bringing the Nerd Convention to NJDevs! 🤓 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Q-Pnzfvmo_1hDlWu7WqJHVyTZqy15386jVESKSOf0V4/edit#gid=0

ETA: here's his twitter account, in case you want to go back further: https://twitter.com/cane_matt?lang=en

Sweet, thanks.  Suck it mfitz 😁

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

😦😔

sh!t, I'm not normally cool enough to dig deep into analytical tools and the new-age data in sports, and I thought I was here though.

Didn't realize it was akin to asking for dungeons and dragons cheat codes lol. 

Sweet, thanks.  Suck it mfitz 😁

I’m a bigger nerd than you’ll ever be, just not in that way lol. 

23 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Show sucks. Books are better. Anyone can fight me over it if they want. 

I love both. The last season has felt really rushed, but GRRM is never going to finish the books so this ending is the only one we’re going to get, unfortunately. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I love both. The last season has felt really rushed, but GRRM is never going to finish the books so this ending is the only one we’re going to get, unfortunately. 

I've been okay with this season so far. It definitely seems rushed, and I wish Jamie had more of a redemption, but as Ramsay said "if you think this has a happy ending then you haven't been paying attention."

I have the books but I've only read A Game of Thrones so I can't speak to that, but I am very excited to read through the series.

8 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Jaime's arc is the only thing that's bugged me this season. And Bran's general complete lack of usefulness; but at least there's one more episode to hopefully redeem that. 

My issue is that HBO budgeted 10 episodes, and the producers said "nah we got this in 6." It feels rushed, in a way that 4 more episodes could've helped out. 

I hated that we spent nearly 7 full seasons building up the Army of the Dead for them to be wiped out in one 40 minute battle scene, though. 

Watching the "Making Of"'s on YouTube, the producers D&D seem so out of touch with how the story arcs should go (I.e. "Dany kind of forgot about the Iron Fleet"). Love seeing the technical aspects of everything though, there's a lot more practical effects than you'd think. 

• Like 1