2019 Offseason Thread

Daniel

24 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Anyone who says the show "sucks" but likes the books is just trying to be edgy and different. 

The show isn't perfect, and the books are definitely better. But the show is a real treat to watch. 

Anyone who says that someone else is just being edgy because they don't agree with the general consensus is a sheep. See? I can sound just as stupid.

I just don't like the show-- there isn't some deeper rooted explanation. I read the books and I gave the show a more than fair chance. From what I am hearing a lot of people are pretty disappointed with their "treat" right now. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Cool. 

I think it's fair to be disappointed with this season. I think it's beyond comprehension that you can blanket state "Game Of Thrones sucks." But you do you, boo. 

I'd love it if I liked the show. I've been sitting with my D in my hand waiting for the next book, which will probably never come, for years. 

For the record, I also like plenty of other book to screen adaptations. The first season of GoT was fairly good and close to the book, then it went off the wall and it became work for me to sit down and watch it. 

• Like 1

Boy oh boy, if we're going to start talking GOT..

I've been incredibly disappointed with this final season.  They've completed scrapped a number of storylines/plotlines and completely blown off a number of the prophecies just for shock and awe value.

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

The latest episode didn't irk me too much - I have no problem with Dany going Mad Queen on King's Landing and (probably) Jon or Arya killing her off.  But it's just how we got there that makes so little sense to me.. it feels incredibly rushed.  They could have spent a whole lot of time showing her descent into madness and/or her decision to rule with fear... instead we got a bunch of completely ridiculous situations and scenarios (the Euron scene in E4 is a joke man, give me a break) to "push her to the brink".

But my biggest gripe (and what's completely ruined the show for me) is E3 and the show's handling of the NK.  I don't want to nor need to go into why I think the episode was a complete failure (I'm sure anyone who's a fan of the show has already heard most of the gripes by this point) but.. awful.  Just awful.  Ruined so many characters, storylines, plot arcs, etc.

Can't say GOT is something I'll ever re-watch knowing this is how it ends - I really, really hope GRRM finishes the damn books.

37 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Watching the "Making Of"'s on YouTube, the producers D&D seem so out of touch with how the story arcs should go (I.e. "Dany kind of forgot about the Iron Fleet"). Love seeing the technical aspects of everything though, there's a lot more practical effects than you'd think. 

The "behind the scenes" after the episodes are probably the worst part of the whole thing.  D&D just come across as completely clueless.

I think they are very talented individuals who successfully adapted the source material for several phenomenal seasons - but when it came time to go beyond the books their complete lack of ability to write their own material really became apparent.

I don't harbor this 'hatred' that people seem to have towards D&D - but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disgusted with how this final season has played out.

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 1

show is ok and fine, books are meh. cmon. its a literature. another level of expectations and demands. martin made to much story arches and do nothing with them.

but this is imho. i cant mark it in lenguage side.

last season ruin all dramaturgy that was build before. but who didnt talk about it.

👀

https://ofcorsi.wordpress.com/2019/05/14/devils-prospect-jesper-boqvist-dominated-the-shl-at-even-strength/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Boqvist’s 28 Even Strength points were tied for 2nd in the SHL, just one point shy of the league lead. That kind of dominance for a u-20 player is more than just rare: it is unprecedented.

The SHL has tracked Even Strength points for the last 19 seasons; before Boqvist, no u-20 forward had ever ranked in the top 4 over a full season. The only only other u-20 players who have reached the top 5 are Elias Pettersson (at 18 years old) and Henrik Zetterberg (at 19 years old).

Edited by Neb00rs
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

:ninja:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/reid-boucher-surpasses-stamkos-sting-record/

Boucher now has 60 goals in only 63 games, which surpasses Stamkos’ previous mark of 58 set in 2007-08.

5 minutes ago, Crisis said:

FYI, no one really expected Boucher to come into the league and light it up. A 19 year old forward dominating in Canadian juniors is not the same same feat as a kid of similar age producing against men and professionals. In any case, no one is overplaying this, but Boqvist definitely looks good.

55 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

FYI, no one really expected Boucher to come into the league and light it up. A 19 year old forward dominating in Canadian juniors is not the same same feat as a kid of similar age producing against men and professionals. In any case, no one is overplaying this, but Boqvist definitely looks good.

::raises hand:: i’ll admit I thought he was going to be something great for us...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jagknife said:

::raises hand:: i’ll admit I thought he was going to be something great for us...

People hoped he'd be good, but most people didn't expect he'd be like...a phenom. If he did what he did a year younger, maybe. That said, the main point here is that you can't compare success in a professional men's league to an amateur teen league.

This is why people are so excited about Kakko. He succeeded against men in the Finnish Elite League - as a 17 year old.

Edited by Neb00rs
  • Like 1

It seemingly always has to be brought up - if Stamkos stayed in Sarnia until he was 20, Boucher never would've had a chance at that record.  Stamkos scored 51 goals in the NHL when he was 19, how many do you think he would've scored against junior goalies and defenses?  Most junior team scoring records are held by guys like Boucher rather than future NHL stars.

Boqvist may not be anything in the NHL, but there's a lot of reasons to be hopeful that he is something.