2019 Offseason Thread

Daniel

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Actually I was the one who said don't throw Hughes to the wolves lol.  To your point, I agree that Hughes may not have the best linemates if you don't put him on the first line - such is life when you have a roster lacking more than one or two superstar players.  I think it's a matter of biding time until the GM is able to find players that fit that bill, be it through the draft, free agency, or trades.  BUT... I do like your idea of moving Zacha to the wing.  Moreso than I would Hughes. Hughes' is the more bonafide center in my eyes - he's a speedy player with the ability to cut through the zone.  Zacha showed a lot of this years ago in his development, but since then I think he's turned into more of a shutdown player, and I see him being able to use his larger body to battle along the boards.

I basically said this in response to the quote above, but I'd rather see Zacha on the wing than Hughes.  Hughes is a natural center and we need his raw talent down the middle.  Zacha at this point is basically an experiment, in essence trying to find out if he can grab hold of a permanent spot on this roster in a way that maximizes his abilities, and I think there's a chance it could be on the wing if he has a solid center next to him.

You're right, you did. My mistake. Personally I like a lot about Zachas game but I see hiim as a Zajac and not as a major point producer. Assuming Hughes is picked the Devils will have depth at centre and moving to the wing may be the only chance Zacha has of staying in the line up. Otherwise it might make sense to trade him to better balance the team.

• Like 1

Have a good feeling about Eberle coming to the Devils this summer. 

Plus, having one of Hall's best friends on the team can't hurt.

Hall - Nico - Eberle

Bratt - Hughes - Palms

...yeah I could do that.

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 1

Just now, Devilsfan118 said:

Hall - Nico - Eberle

Bratt - Hughes - Palms

...yeah I could do that.

Looks like Pittsburgh is almost giving away Phil Kessel to Minnesota.  Maybe they refuse to trade him in the division, but getting Kessel on the relative cheap to play right wing on Hughes' line would be much better and cheaper than signing Eberle to the deal he's likely going to get.

15 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Looks like Pittsburgh is almost giving away Phil Kessel to Minnesota.  Maybe they refuse to trade him in the division, but getting Kessel on the relative cheap to play right wing on Hughes' line would be much better and cheaper than signing Eberle to the deal he's likely going to get.

Phil also has a say in where he goes - not sure he agrees to come to NJ.

I dunno, I'm not exactly crazy about the idea of introducing Phil the Thrill to our young and very impressionable locker room.

Then again, I guess Eberle isn't well known for his work ethic.

18 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Phil also has a say in where he goes - not sure he agrees to come to NJ.

I dunno, I'm not exactly crazy about the idea of introducing Phil the Thrill to our young and very impressionable locker room.

Then again, I guess Eberle isn't well known for his work ethic.

Even with Hughes the Devils have to get at least 1 more top 6 player this offseason.  Whether that is by trade or UFA signing, we have to get one.

Panarin is unlikely going to sign here.  Skinner and Eberle are more likely with I think Eberle being the one I would prefer.

Also, I highly doubt Shero is not going to trade one or two of our extra 2nd and 3rd rounders by when the draft comes around, but I think the return will likely be more along the lines of Mueller rather than Palms or MoJo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

Brock Nelson re-signs with the Islanders.  6 years for $36M.

Also, who names their kid Brock?

See the source image

• Haha 5
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Hall - Nico - Eberle

Bratt - Hughes - Palms

...yeah I could do that.

Based on the last year plus from him, I’d gladly take Eberle. Still would love another top 6 guy to go with, with the number of picks Shero has, it’s hard to imagine we won’t use them to get better now.

at least there are a few FA forwards that we will have a shot at.  unfortunately, not seeing a top pairing defenseman in FA. cant say I know much about tyler meyers game today..  has he grown into his body finally, does he have a defensive presence that we need? strahlman??   looks like green and butcher again getting too many minutes. even if the kid makes the club