2019 Offseason Thread

Daniel

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Does that mean they are “worth” the same money? 

No, more me hoping that if/when Taylor re-signs, I’m not seeing the final numbers and thinking “Oh man I hope this one doesn’t blow up..”

4 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Skinner can score, but he doesn’t really do anything else. For the kind of money and term we’re talking about, I’d prefer a guy with more substance than 50-60 points per year, who doesn’t bring much else to the table. 

Bingo. In a tough physical grind 'em out playoff series I'd worry Skinner would get pushed around and vanish. 

Edited by '7'
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

No, more me hoping that if/when Taylor re-signs, I’m not seeing the final numbers and thinking “Oh man I hope this one doesn’t blow up..”

For that to happen he would have to become a bad player pretty quickly, and that’s really unlikely.  Otherwise, there might be issues if Nico and Hughes get bigger second contracts than we expect, but that would mean we’re likely Cup contenders.

• Like 1

some Zajac love:

Needs 14 points to pass Muller for 3rd all time in Devils history in points
Needs 9 goals to pass Parise for 4th all time in goals and 17 to pass Holik for 3rd
Needs 15 assists to pass Muller for 6th all time and 17 to pass Stevens for 5th
Needs 1 SHG to move into 4th all time

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Thoughts on Zaitsev?

Could probably be had dirt* cheap - Leafs desperate for cap relief.

Zaitsev might be the worst defenseman in hockey, on an even worse contract. I wouldn’t trade a fvcking 12-pack for him.

Edited by MadDog2020

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yup, I’m going to do like when I renovated my house and never look at the final number lol. 

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

Wonder what kind of contact Eberle will be looking for? I know Todd Cordell is against the Devils going after him, but he seems like exactly what we need in a top 6 RW. 

Plus if it makes Hall happier, even better. I think we need a stud defenseman more, but other than that I don’t really see a downside. 

32 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Plus if it makes Hall happier, even better. I think we need a stud defenseman more, but other than that I don’t really see a downside. 

Well, you’re probably not getting one of those in FA anyway. At least not without breaking the bank. And other than EK who will even be available? 

Might as well fill out the top 6 though. And hope Severson continues to improve, and Ty Smith is as good as advertised. 

5 hours ago, Nicomo said:

You guys don’t want Eberle, you don’t want Skinner...

gotta sign somebody lol

Seriously, someone’s gotta play. You can’t just put guys from Binghamton in an NHL lineup and see what happens. 

Oh wait...2018-19 lol. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

He overachieved last year and now he is going to be paid for it. I am with everyone else here but I understand your point-- 7/8M doesn't carry the same weight as when Crosby signed his deal several years ago. The cap has gone up and players at his caliber are getting 11-13m now as opposed to his 8 and change. Skinner is a good player but he is going to get overpaid regardless. Why should we do it when it looks like we are on the right track to build from within? 

All valid points, which I agree with.  To your last question about someone is going to overpay for him and why should we do it, well, not that I ever want to overpay for someone, but in the sense that he could be a player we need if he ends up being productive, that's one reason to do it (in that sense, it's not really looked at as an overpayment if he meets or exceeds expectations), and the other reason to do it is simply because we're at a point where we probably can afford it.  We have a lot of cap space and aren't really carrying much dead weight.  I think it's worth taking the risk (and still of the opinion that it isn't really that much of a "risk" anyway).  

27 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

All valid points, which I agree with.  To your last question about someone is going to overpay for him and why should we do it, well, not that I ever want to overpay for someone, but in the sense that he could be a player we need if he ends up being productive, that's one reason to do it (in that sense, it's not really looked at as an overpayment if he meets or exceeds expectations), and the other reason to do it is simply because we're at a point where we probably can afford it.  We have a lot of cap space and aren't really carrying much dead weight.  I think it's worth taking the risk (and still of the opinion that it isn't really that much of a "risk" anyway).  

I think a Skinner or Eberle fits in well with this team. Are they perfect? No. But 1992 Jagr isn't walking through the door.   

To piggy back off your point about the cap space, we will have even more with Greene coming off next season and Zajac the year after. Neither will make the same money if they even do come back. Schneider will be in the same situation in a few years

• Like 1

11 hours ago, glenwo2 said:

some Zajac love:

Needs 14 points to pass Muller for 3rd all time in Devils history in points
Needs 9 goals to pass Parise for 4th all time in goals and 17 to pass Holik for 3rd
Needs 15 assists to pass Muller for 6th all time and 17 to pass Stevens for 5th
Needs 1 SHG to move into 4th all time

Also 78 GP to reach 1000 GP for his career.  He's reached 80 GP in two out of the last three and in three out of the last six seasons.  Really hope he can stay healthy enough to achieve that during the 2019-20 season. 

the way it is sounding, we aren't even going to have a chance to make an offer that skinner will listen to.. plus if what Buffalo is rumored to give him is accurate, I'm not sure we want to get involved for a price that steep anyway. Eberle on the other hand, I think would be a good addition to the right side for us. We could definitely use a 25 goal scoring RW and we are going to have nice talent for him to play with in hischier/hughes. If we can grab Eberle for a reasonable term we have to do it, then try to acquire a Dman in a trade. Going into next season with the additions being Hughes, Eberle, Smith and a top 4 Dman via trade... all of a sudden we have a lot to get excited about.

Edited by 2ELIAS6

7 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

the way it is sounding, we aren't even going to have a chance to make an offer that skinner will listen to.. plus if what Buffalo is rumored to give him is accurate, I'm not sure we want to get involved for a price that steep anyway. Eberle on the other hand, I think would be a good addition to the right side for us. We could definitely use a 25 goal scoring RW and we are going to have nice talent for him to play with in hischier/hughes. If we can grab Eberle for a reasonable term we have to do it, then try to acquire a Dman in a trade. Going into next season with the additions being Hughes, Eberle, Smith and a top 4 Dman via trade... all of a sudden we have a lot to get excited about.

Who you trading to bring back a top 4 D?