2019 Offseason Thread

Daniel

Excerpt from the athletic article regarding Hall :

Ferris and Hall were somewhat annoyed their lack of urgency in engaging in contract talks with Shero and the Devils was being spun into something they claim it isn’t. A reluctance to sign as soon as possible is not necessarily a sign that the Devils are no longer an option, they say. It is simply a way to go about taking a very important decision and choosing to attack it under the best circumstances possible.
“This is one of the most important decisions of his career, some players only get here once,” Ferris said. “There’s no reason to rush into it.”

20 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

It’s a salary dump though (Callahan). I’m not giving them anything good for a salary dump. We’re doing them a favor. 

Is Spears the “good” part of that deal or the pick? Serious question cause I couldn’t care any [FREAKING] less about Q anymore.

I’d take cost-controlled Miller for sure and I wouldn’t mind one year of Callahan. If he blows we bench him.

But we do need to make moves to get Hall comfortable and entice him to stay.

33 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Is Spears the “good” part of that deal or the pick? Serious question cause I couldn’t care any [FREAKING] less about Q anymore.

I’d take cost-controlled Miller for sure and I wouldn’t mind one year of Callahan. If he blows we bench him.

But we do need to make moves to get Hall comfortable and entice him to stay.

Truthfully, the 4th rounder is probably worth more than either of those guys lol.

17 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Truthfully, the 4th rounder is probably worth more than either of those guys lol.

I really wish we would have seen more of Spears last year. I know he was hurt, but I also know he was one of the tough cuts out of camp, at least from what we saw on that special.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

That's a lot.  Too much, but again, sort of expected.  Guy has potential , so I wouldn't write this off as completely horrible just yet. And if the cap keeps going up over the years, it's less of an issue each passing season. 

I’d call it a slight overpayment, typical of what guys get when they re-sign. Scary to think what Hall is “worth” if Skinner is worth $9m. $11m??

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I’d call it a slight overpayment, typical of what guys get when they re-sign. Scary to think what Hall is “worth” if Skinner is worth $9m. $11m??

Agreed.  I think for Hall the injuries play a factor, but you're right, in consideration of fair market value, he probably gets 11, I think that's spot on.  I could even see us reaching at 12, but that 8th year option probably keeps it a bit lower.  Hall seems like a good guy, I think so the end of the day, he does 8 years 11.25M, with options/bonuses.

Skinner...ouch.  That one’s got serious disaster potential.  Suddenly 2017-18-type campaigns aren’t going to be nearly good enough for Skinner.

This being said, the Devils re-signing Hall has equal disaster potential (especially if Hall can’t stay on the ice enough), but we know how these signings roll....they don’t often work out as well as you hope for, and they rarely represent good value.  But unless you’re somehow stocked to the hilt with ready-to-play prospects, occasionally you take the risk.  I’d still do it for Hall.

• Like 2

I'm still thinking Hall's injury last year was a black swan event. The team was bad, he had a nagging knee injury, they sat him for as long as he needed to try and let it repair on its own, it didn't fix itself and in the end he needed surgery. I don't think there's a whole lot of reason to expect that he won't be good for 75+ games most seasons. 

The Skinner deal is a game. Could end up with a big yikes. 

46 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

Sadly, Speers= NHL bust

He’s played in 3 NHL games and is still relatively young (22), might be a tad early to make that call. 

Although, looking at his AHL numbers it doesn’t make for a lot of hope there...

Edited by Nicomo
  • Like 1