2019 Offseason Thread

Daniel

4 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

if they are THAT bright we should get some of the shine though... technically.

I live in Jersey and I can literally see the city from my kitchen. Why in the world these players think playing for the Rangers allows them some magical city life that Jersey doesn't is something I'll never understand. Don't these players have the Googles?? 

Edited by Devil Dan 56
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I live in Jersey and I can literally see the city from my kitchen. Why in the world these players think playing for the Rangers allows them some magical city life that Jersey doesn't is something I'll never understand. Don't these players have the Googles?? 

I don’t think a lot of them are all that bright, honestly.

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

You can go to Manhattan if you live in NJ. But if you want to live IN the city, that’s something different. If you believe that living in Manhattan and that whole experience is what you want, then NJ will never make you happy. NJ does NOT offer you a “city life”. 

Let me clarify. People from here and from elsewhere think there is a certain panache to living and working in Manhattan. If you think that way, living outside the city, even though it’s close, is not the same thing. In fact, to people who feel that way, it’s a huge step down. 

I don’t live in Manhattan so clearly I don’t feel that way, but I know and have known many people who do. It stands to reason that the logic could extend to hockey players. 

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Let me clarify. People from here and from elsewhere think there is a certain panache to living and working in Manhattan. If you think that way, living outside the city, even though it’s close, is not the same thing. In fact, to people who feel that way, it’s a huge step down. 

I don’t live in Manhattan so clearly I don’t feel that way, but I know and have known many people who do. It stands to reason that the logic could extend to hockey players. 

Definitely agree with you here.  Living in Jersey City and taking a 20m Path train into the city vs taking the elevator down from your apartment and walking around the block to your favorite restaurant are two very different experiences.  I'm sure there are probably a few other things the Rangers franchise can offer you right in the city as opposed to living in the outskirts of NJ.

1 minute ago, Crisis said:

Definitely agree with you here.  Living in Jersey City and taking a 20m Path train into the city vs taking the elevator down from your apartment and walking around the block to your favorite restaurant are two very different experiences.  I'm sure there are probably a few other things the Rangers franchise can offer you right in the city as opposed to living in the outskirts of NJ.

Again, it’s all a matter of the individual’s perspective. But that said, to argue that living in New Jersey is substantially the same as living in Manhattan just doesn’t make sense. 

But I’m glad you agree, I was expecting a lot of pushback. Still kinda am. 

2 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

NJ will once NYR continue to suck but NJ starts to win in another couple years. 

That will certainly help. 

10 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Trouba for Patrick makes sense for both sides (probably not straight up, but those two would be the basis of a deal).

Wonder if we've got anything Jet's might want. Are not Smith/Butcher similar both good puck carrying types, PP point men. Wonder if Davies will make it into the mix at camp.? Logjam at D, but another top 4 guy needed.

2 hours ago, vadvlfan said:

Wonder if we've got anything Jet's might want. Are not Smith/Butcher similar both good puck carrying types, PP point men. Wonder if Davies will make it into the mix at camp.? Logjam at D, but another top 4 guy needed.

I'd rather trade Vats with an extension than trade one of our promising young guys that are probably going to continue to develop over the next couple seasons.

Trouba is in his prime now, how long does that last-- 3-5 seasons before the decline? Why waste 2 of them here in NJ when this team won't be ready yet, and then have one of the young guys NJ offerd hit his stride with the Jets right when NJ could use them? It would be better to trade Vats while he has value and hold on to the future. Trouba wants out of there and the Jets aren't exactly in a strong position to negotiate. At least Vats with an extension helps fill that void directly and both guys are around the same point in their career. It's a decent swap, but I think NJ is the team that might have to add to the deal... especially with the competition from other teams. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ajsgolf said:

Who else was in Continental 16 years ago today for the last truly greatest Devils game?

I was there- section 218 row 23 seat 7. One of the best nights of my life. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I saw a report that Anaheim might want to move Perry or buy him out. NJ and Anaheim have done some mutually beneficial deals in the past. Is there an opportunity here for Ray? His contract is even worse than Bobby Ryan's deal. 

I mean if the Devils were to get an asset along with him to acquire and buy him out - sure. 

Avs got Grubauer to do something similar with Orpik. We'd have to get some serious compensation to do that though.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, vadvlfan said:

Logjam at D, but another top 4 guy needed.

I’d hardly call our defensive situation a “logjam”. We have Butcher and Vatanen, hopefully Smith, and then...

Severson is fine. Greene is old. Mueller is questionable. 

If we’re motivated, there’s plenty of space for upgrade. 

Edited by mfitz804

14 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Iirc, Yakovlev lived in the City this past season. It's literally a 25 minute commute to Newark Penn with a 5 minute walk to the arena. 

14 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

You can go to Manhattan if you live in NJ. But if you want to live IN the city, that’s something different. If you believe that living in Manhattan and that whole experience is what you want, then NJ will never make you happy. NJ does NOT offer you a “city life”. 

You can live in Hoboken and literally spit into lower Manhattan. It’s mostly the young, single guys who wanna live a city life anyway.

14 minutes ago, Derlique said:

Iirc, Yakovlev lived in the City this past season. It's literally a 25 minute commute to Newark Penn with a 5 minute walk to the arena. 

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

You can live in Hoboken and literally spit into lower Manhattan. It’s mostly the young, single guys who wanna live a city life anyway.

You both missed the point. 

17 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

No, I didn’t miss the point... some people wanna live in the city. Great. Living in Hoboken allows you to be in NYC in five minutes and do whatever the hell you want. If you need to live IN the city, you can do that too and reverse commute. The only point is you can play for the Devils and live a NYC life if that’s what you want. The ones who choose the Rags choose them because they pretty much don’t really know any better. Hell, the Devils practice closer to NYC than the Rags do.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

No, I didn’t miss the point... some people wanna live in the city. Great. Living in Hoboken allows you to be in NYC in five minutes and do whatever the hell you want. If you need to live IN the city, you can do that too and reverse commute. The only point is you can play for the Devils and live a NYC life if that’s what you want. The ones who choose the Rags choose them because they pretty much don’t really know any better. Hell, the Devils practice closer to NYC than the Rags do.

You did miss the point. The point was that a lot of people want to live and work in Manhattan for its perceived status, especially people not from this area. “I live in New York City” is not the same as “I live in Hoboken and I could be in Manhattan in 5 minutes”, if the status thing is what is important.

I don’t think that the idea that nobody knows how close parts of New Jersey are to Manhattan has any validity. But even if it did, that kind of just proves my point. They don’t care, because Manhattan is the lure, not being close to Manhattan. 

55 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Based on what you typed, I don't believe I missed the point. You mentioned people being enamored with the idea of LIVING in NYC, which any Devil can feasibly do without a problem. Now if you meant to type out that some players want the notoriety that comes with playing in Manhattan, on one of the more "prestigious" NHL teams, then yeah, the Devils obviously can't offer that.  

Edited by Derlique

8 minutes ago, Derlique said:

Based on what you typed, I don't believe I missed the point. You mentioned people being enamored with the idea of LIVING in NYC, which any Devil can feasibly do without a problem. Now if you meant to type out that some players want the notoriety that comes with playing in Manhattan, on one of the more "prestigious" NHL teams, then yeah, the Devils obviously can't offer that.  

I said living *and* working.

It’s not even just limited to hockey, if you’re from this area you’ve undoubtedly run into people who think the fact that they live and work in Manhattan makes them better than those who don’t.

I’m not saying it doesn’t make them pretentious douchebags, I’m just pointing out that these people exist. And especially people from outside this area, where Manhattan has a far greater allure than for those of us who have been there, done that.