2019 Offseason Thread

Daniel

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Agreed. 

i can't see us going into this season with Pavel Zacha as a 4th line center. I have to believe he gets moved to wing (or another team) before that happens. 

Either way, we're in that situation where I look on paper and say "That's not a bad lineup". 

I wouldn't say I can't really see it either, but I think I'd be more inclined to say it's just not ideal, rather than I can't see it.  I think there's a slight chance they stick him there - only because he's still (relatively) young and this might be a way for him to really try to contribute without any pressure whatsoever.  Though I think we've seen enough flashes in him over the past two seasons where management and staff probably think he's better suited for a 3rd (or even 2nd if you're generous) lineup spot.  

I don't know if it's likely that Zacha gets traded, but if he doesn't, and he's not on the 4th line, and he does in fact get moved to the wing, let's say it's to RW to fill that void on the 3rd line... is McCleod the 4th line center then?  You don't see Zajac moving all the way down to the 4th line, do you?

1 minute ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Though I think we've seen enough flashes in him over the past two seasons where management and staff probably think he's better suited for a 3rd (or even 2nd if you're generous) lineup spot.  

45411387281_1ae62b32cc_b.jpg

2 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

is McCleod the 4th line center then?  You don't see Zajac moving all the way down to the 4th line, do you?

No, and no. I have no idea who fills in that spot. I just find it more likely that he'll be on a wing on the 3rd line.

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

45411387281_1ae62b32cc_b.jpg

No, and no. I have no idea who fills in that spot. I just find it more likely that he'll be on a wing on the 3rd line.

I hope Zacha never retires.  Even in the off-season that meme delights me.  

Part of my says he may be trade bait before anyone else on the team, but I just really don't see us making any trades.  There's no need.  We have tons of money, and I see us buying maybe one of each, a forward and defenseman, in free agency, so I guess McCleod just gets relegated to the minors for a while.  I'm kinda bummed because I had sorta high hopes for him when we drafted him.

1 minute ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Part of my says he may be trade bait before anyone else on the team, but I just really don't see us making any trades.  There's no need.  We have tons of money, and I see us buying maybe one of each, a forward and defenseman, in free agency, so I guess McCleod just gets relegated to the minors for a while.  I'm kinda bummed because I had sorta high hopes for him when we drafted him.

If we sign Hall, a free agent forward, and a free agent defenseman, and the latter two deals are reasonable, I will be absolutely elated. 

44 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Even if you have all the money in the world you can't just walk in and buy the players you want lol If they don't want to come to your team there's not much you can do.

Plus you're restrained to only a few players, there's really not that many options on the market that'd make us better. With trades you can really get what you need if you can make something work

25 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Even if you have all the money in the world you can't just walk in and buy the players you want lol If they don't want to come to your team there's not much you can do.

Plus you're restrained to only a few players, there's really not that many options on the market that'd make us better. With trades you can really get what you need if you can make something work

Of course.  Only reason I phrased it that way was to illustrate that money for us isn't exactly a problem.  Not many teams can say that.  We're very fortunate, and haven't exactly been in this situation in quite a while, so it's worth mentioning.  I think all of us are anxious to see what our GM and Co can/will do now that they have some blank checks to write. 

14 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Of course.  Only reason I phrased it that way was to illustrate that money for us isn't exactly a problem.  Not many teams can say that.  We're very fortunate, and haven't exactly been in this situation in quite a while, so it's worth mentioning.  I think all of us are anxious to see what our GM and Co can/will do now that they have some blank checks to write. 

Haven’t they had a ton of cap for a while now? I’m not so sure I think this is the year they finally use it. 

• Like 1

Training camp will tell us a lot about whether Zacha still has a place here.  But who would take him off our hands?  And how long do we wait on him?  (Remember Josefson?)

Edited by aclc79

20 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

I'm over the zacha experiment, what you see is what we have. Would love to see him as part of a package for something decent 

If that ever happens, we will have to post a poll to see who I will relentlessly mock with memes in his place.

2 minutes ago, MB3 said:

“I want to sell low on a player but I want other nhl executives to think they’re buying high”

k sounds good dude any other ideas?

how are we selling low on him? and when did I ever say I expected to fleece another team into thinking they are buying more than what he is? nice job putting words in peoples mouths. Zacha blows, he is what he is.. time to move on and shake things up. If he stays here he's just going to be put on the 4th line anyway. As I was saying before you felt the need to be a douche was to package him with other pieces and get a different player in here that serves a better purpose. 

2 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Can’t tell if this is a lazy comparison or just a fvcking stupid one. 

Josefson finished his NHL career with 64 career points in 315 games. Zacha has 76 points in 201 games while being an above average defensive player. All 76 points were accrued before he turned 22. 

How many current Devils can you name that scored 76 points before their 22nd birthday? I’ll give ya a hint, you can answer that question with one hand. 

Trading a 22 year old player because you think “he blows” is quite literally selling low. I am sorry if I upset you. 

we've seen enough of a sample size to know what kind of a player he is. Im not the only one around that believes that. you're entitled to your opinion, well see what happens with him. Having him on the fourth line next year isn't serving any justice either. 

17 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Can’t tell if this is a lazy comparison or just a fvcking stupid one. 

Josefson finished his NHL career with 64 career points in 315 games. Zacha has 76 points in 201 games while being an above average defensive player. All 76 points were accrued before he turned 22. 

He ain’t good, but he ain’t Josefson. 

The more I think about it, he might be the perfect guy to have on the 4th line. You don’t have to be physical for that role anymore, and if we get 25-30 points out of him in that role, we’ve scored big time.

Is that what I want out of a high first rounder? No, but that ship sailed years ago. 

He’s already here, he probably only brings back a 4th liner or he serves as a throw-in on a trade. Maybe it’s better to keep him as a 4C, hope he overperforms, and god willing, shoes he’s got something else to contribute on a higher line.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MB3 said:

How many current Devils can you name that scored 76 points before their 22nd birthday? I’ll give ya a hint, you can answer that question with one hand. 

How many guys were here for any period of time before they were 22?

4 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

i can't see us going into this season with Pavel Zacha as a 4th line center. I have to believe he gets moved to wing (or another team) before that happens. 

I’m coming around to the idea of moving him to the wing. There’s probably no way he gets buried on the 4th line, and Zajac scored nearly 20 goals last season so he’s definitely the 3C. 

Zacha is a good Center. Wins draws, good along the boards, getting harder on puck. W/ our luck we'd trade him and he'd become a 25 goal scorer. And, he has what so many on our team lack........size. Zajac still has couple good years left. I say keep him til.   well, haven't thought about that yet

26 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

Zacha is a good Center. Wins draws, good along the boards, getting harder on puck. W/ our luck we'd trade him and he'd become a 25 goal scorer. And, he has what so many on our team lack........size. Zajac still has couple good years left. I say keep him til.   well, haven't thought about that yet

Zacha has size and last year he started figuring out how to use it a little better. 

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I’d welcome that. I might be alone, but I would. 

Slide Zacha up to the 3rd line wing vacancy. 

You aren’t alone, I wouldn’t mind it either. Loved Boyle while he was here, just a solid dude on and off the ice. A true pro’s pro. Would welcome him back with open arms. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I think he will be good. And I’d be willing to put a good old fashioned NJDEVS bet on that. 

What would qualify as a good season for Zacha next year in your eyes? Where you could say “hey, he’s a good player.”

We can do an over/under if you like, loser donates $20?

Pavel had 0.41 points per game last season in 61 games (25 points), a 33.6 PPG pace over a full season. He got better toward the end, and I think it’s reasonable to expect he’ll do better this year, having another season of experience under his belt. 

We can also hope he’ll be healthy all year, but who knows. For that reason, I say we stick with PPG as our measurement. 

Would you take the “over” at 0.5 PPG, a 41 point pace?

11 minutes ago, MB3 said:

$20 to the site that Pavel Zacha finishes the season at a +0.5 PPG pace. If he spends more than 20 games in the minors I automatically lose the bet. If he’s traded the bet is off.

0.50 is the magic number. 0.495-0.499 get rounded to 0.50,  so 0.495 or better you win. 0.494 or below I win. We’ll only go that far in terms of decimal places. Agreed?

I accept the other stipulations, though technically if he’s traded he could still be playing in the NHL. But it won’t be for us, so who gives a fvck at that point. 

I’ll add that if he completely blows up and scores 60 points, I’ll retire the “almost” meme. 

• Like 1