2019 Offseason Thread

Daniel

4 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

or they could just do freaking 3-2-1 points system and eliminate the damn ROW stat.

They don't count shootout goals towards a players stats anyway, nor goalie saves, why does it have the same points value as a regulation/OT win

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, jagknife said:

or they could just do freaking 3-2-1 points system and eliminate the damn ROW stat.

They don't count shootout goals towards a players stats anyway, nor goalie saves, why does it have the same points value as a regulation/OT win

I personally would hate that.  Would much rather go back to having ties.  I can't see them doing that though, I think because the game has grown so much in the last decade or two, the NHL will see the shootout as being one of the reasons for that, and something that young kid find entertaining, and if it indeed is here to stay, then I'd just rather them leave it the way it is.  Too much change isn't always good.

Not that I'd want to see this, but I wonder if they've ever given any thought to fractional points.  A win is worth 2, OT win is worth 1, and shootout is worth half.  Playoff races would still be close.  Sort of the way MLB has teams a half game back in the standings based on if a team has played more or less games than another.  Again, I don't want this, just kinda popped into my head as an interesting thought.

To answer your question though, I think OT is treated as an extension of regulation, and shootout an extension of OT, thus why a win in either of the extra-time scenarios still nets you 2 points.  

2 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I personally would hate that.  Would much rather go back to having ties.  I can't see them doing that though, I think because the game has grown so much in the last decade or two, the NHL will see the shootout as being one of the reasons for that, and something that young kid find entertaining, and if it indeed is here to stay, then I'd just rather them leave it the way it is.  Too much change isn't always good.

Not that I'd want to see this, but I wonder if they've ever given any thought to fractional points.  A win is worth 2, OT win is worth 1, and shootout is worth half.  Playoff races would still be close.  Sort of the way MLB has teams a half game back in the standings based on if a team has played more or less games than another.  Again, I don't want this, just kinda popped into my head as an interesting thought.

To answer your question though, I think OT is treated as an extension of regulation, and shootout an extension of OT, thus why a win in either of the extra-time scenarios still nets you 2 points.  

Could you imagine the effort teams would put in if they got 3 points for a regulation win? You wouldn't see teams coasting to make it to OT nor the SO. I could see it only improving competition. Bubble teams would kill to get that extra point, especially when they can gain ground on teams they're chasing.

The sheer fact that they had to make a category to differentiate ROWs from SOs proves the NHL even devalues their gimmick way to decide games.

I understand you want to grow the game in fans from a young age, but if we're keeping a bad part of it cause my two son's want to see a skills competition (for example), then there are bigger problems with the league's ability to grow the game.

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

Could you imagine the effort teams would put in if they got 3 points for a regulation win? You wouldn't see teams coasting to make it to OT nor the SO. I could see it only improving competition. Bubble teams would kill to get that extra point, especially when they can gain ground on teams they're chasing.

The sheer fact that they had to make a category to differentiate ROWs from SOs proves the NHL even devalues their gimmick way to decide games.

I understand you want to grow the game in fans from a young age, but if we're keeping a bad part of it cause my two son's want to see a skills competition (for example), then there are bigger problems with the league's ability to grow the game.

I can see some of that as being valid and interesting points, I suppose it's more of the "purist/traditionalist" in me that doesn't want to see 3 point games.  Also, don't you think teams are already trying in OT and the SO in order to get that 2nd point?  Teams may want that 3rd point, and having it be 3 instead of 2 is a bit more incentive I suppose, but as long as OT/SOs are still worth something, then there's always going to be that safety net and reason for teams to coast to the end of regulation, as you mentioned.

10 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I can see some of that as being valid and interesting points, I suppose it's more of the "purist/traditionalist" in me that doesn't want to see 3 point games.  Also, don't you think teams are already trying in OT and the SO in order to get that 2nd point?  Teams may want that 3rd point, and having it be 3 instead of 2 is a bit more incentive I suppose, but as long as OT/SOs are still worth something, then there's always going to be that safety net and reason for teams to coast to the end of regulation, as you mentioned.

I think the teams are trying to get that extra point, but what the 3 point idea does is make it so teams don't just make it to OT for the loser point and then hope to get the second point. With 3 points, you could leave 2 points on the board if you coast to OT and then lose. 

Again its in theory. I'm not sure how it plays out in practice

• Like 1

Anyone hearing the same thing that I have been hearing... that the 2020 draft is looking to be one of the best ones ever

Lafreniere, Byfield, Holtz and a few others.  

In thinking about this and what Hall said at the interview last week (That he is "ALMOST" ready to begin skating) - I am becoming concerned that Hall's injury is something that may have a significant impact in his durability or his longevity.

If you treat Hall as an asset. you could get quite a return from him now.  Also a guy like Vatanen who I have advocated before with trading him.  Both of these guys are on expiring contracts and I think if we play this right, we could hit a home run.

Are the fans getting tired of the rebuild - yes.  Are we ready to compete this year - probably not, especially with 4-5 rookies probably in the lineup next year.  

Before you tell me that I am crazy - please think about this logically and if this is something you could see Shero doing....

Always love the debate and discussion!

20 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I think the teams are trying to get that extra point, but what the 3 point idea does is make it so teams don't just make it to OT for the loser point and then hope to get the second point. With 3 points, you could leave 2 points on the board if you coast to OT and then lose. 

Again its in theory. I'm not sure how it plays out in practice

True - the only problem I see with that though, is that you're only leaving two points on the board respective to the rest of the league, and on almost any given night, at least 15 of those teams don't matter because they're in another conference.  You could even make the argument that the other division doesn't matter either.  What I mean by this is that if you're the coach of team A and you're in the playoff hunt, sure you want to get 3 points whenever possible, but the idea of "leaving 2 on the table" pretty much goes out the window once regulation ends, because obviously both teams are going to OT, and therefore both have left at least one point on the table, together.  Whether the game ends there in OT, then one team could have only left 1 point on the table while the other leaves 2, or even if it goes to a shootout then one team leaves 2 and the other leaves 3, but the point is that neither one of them are alone.  I could see this being more effective in helping raise competition if one of the teams were isolated and sort of head the spotlight on them in terms of giving up potentially valuable points, but that's not the case.

19 minutes ago, CMONPETEYD said:

Anyone hearing the same thing that I have been hearing... that the 2020 draft is looking to be one of the best ones ever

In thinking about this and what Hall said at the interview last week (That he is "ALMOST" ready to begin skating) - I am becoming concerned that Hall's injury is something that may have a significant impact in his durability or his longevity.

If you treat Hall as an asset. you could get quite a return from him now.  Also a guy like Vatanen who I have advocated before with trading him.  Both of these guys are on expiring contracts and I think if we play this right, we could hit a home run.

Are the fans getting tired of the rebuild - yes.  Are we ready to compete this year - probably not, especially with 4-5 rookies probably in the lineup next year.  

Before you tell me that I am crazy - please think about this logically and if this is something you could see Shero doing....

Not really sure what you're suggesting...trade the guys (for what?), and then assume we suck again next year and end up with a top 3 or top 5 pick for one of the guys you mentioned?   I don't think that's wise because you're assuming too many things - 1, that the guys we will get in return for Hall and/or Vatanen will be great players, when we already know Hall and Vatanen are - 2, that we will actually finish in the top 3 or 5 and get said pick necessary for one of those guys - and 3, if we did draft one of those guys, that shortly down the road he would be as good or better than advertised. 

Edited by NJDfan1711

14 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Not really sure what you're suggesting...trade the guys (for what?), and then assume we suck again next year and end up with a top 3 or top 5 pick for one of the guys you mentioned?   I don't think that's wise because you're assuming too many things - 1, that the guys we will get in return for Hall and/or Vatanen will be great players, when we already know Hall and Vatanen are - 2, that we will actually finish in the top 3 or 5 and get said pick necessary for one of those guys - and 3, if we did draft one of those guys, that shortly down the road he would be as good or better than advertised. 

A combination.  I am suggesting trade the guys for picks and prospects.  I am saying that I do not think we will have the team with the assets composed this year to do enough to compete.  Then does Hall get signed, who knows?  But if Hall does sign a long term max deal and we still take 2-3 years to round into form, is he going to have an albatross contract, is he going to hold up?  

I think there are a lot of factors at play, and while Ray may try to bring in the assets we need this year to sign Hall in the long term, is the core of this team really ready to compete now?  I do not think they are based on how fragile they were last year and how green we will be next year 

1 hour ago, CMONPETEYD said:

But if Hall does sign a long term max deal and we still take 2-3 years to round into form, is he going to have an albatross contract, is he going to hold up?  

He’s not getting a “max deal”, which is $15.9m as of this past season. I doubt it’ll be close, it will likely be closer to $10-11m.

And he’s already making $6m, so you aren’t adding those numbers, you’re adding $4-5m.

Some folks on message boards feel like avoiding overpaying a star player is something you can actually do. History has proven that you can’t. If you want a player of that caliber, you take a shot, knowing full well that at least the last few years of the deal may not be worth the cost.

If you don’t do that, all of the good players you have will leave you for a team that will. And someone always will. We have the budget to cover it. It should be us. 

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure that Fitzgerald said this year's draft would be the best in a while and that actually he didn't think next year's draft was particularly deep.

We're not rebuilding anymore, and I don't even know you could call it that prior to last season.  I don't see any reason why the Devils can't have as strong a year as the Islanders or Carolina did, or even Montreal for that matter who a lot of people assumed was going to be competing for the best lottery odds with Ottawa. 

Hall is a fantastic player, probably one the top three left wingers in the game. There's no reason why he can't perform at a high level for at least five more years and he there's a good chance he could for the entire length of an eight year deal.  You don't trade him unless you absolutely have to. 

Of course. Because they say that about literally every draft. Next year, we’ll be hearing about how stone cold amazing the 2021draft is gonna be. 

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

I'm pretty sure that Fitzgerald said this year's draft would be the best in a while and that actually he didn't think next year's draft was particularly deep.

We're not rebuilding anymore, and I don't even know you could call it that prior to last season.  I don't see any reason why the Devils can't have as strong a year as the Islanders or Carolina did, or even Montreal for that matter who a lot of people assumed was going to be competing for the best lottery odds with Ottawa. 

Hall is a fantastic player, probably one the top three left wingers in the game. There's no reason why he can't perform at a high level for at least five more years and he there's a good chance he could for the entire length of an eight year deal.  You don't trade him unless you absolutely have to. 

you don't trade hall unless he flat out tells you or you realize he is not going to re sign with the franchise. Enough about trying to make moves and lose out just for the sake of hoping you pick up talented young players in the draft. We are never going to move forward that way. How about we appreciate the fact that we got 2 first over alls in the past 3 years.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CMONPETEYD said:

I’m missing why there’s significance with Hall saying ‘almost’ ready to start skating? He always had June as his recovery timeline. He didn’t have the procedure that long ago. 

Also with forward depth now we don’t have to run him into the ground every game and can manage his workload. I don’t see any reason to be concerned with his injuries yet.

1 hour ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

you don't trade hall unless he flat out tells you or you realize he is not going to re sign with the franchise. Enough about trying to make moves and lose out just for the sake of hoping you pick up talented young players in the draft. We are never going to move forward that way. How about we appreciate the fact that we got 2 first over alls in the past 3 years.

Agreed. Not signing up to tank another season in June. 

• Like 1

So Marner's agent came out and said he's expecting at least one 12.5M offer - which is what you'd expect him to say obviously - but I'll be very surprised if a team is willing to commit to those terms and lose 4 first round picks for him.

That said - why couldn't a team offer him a 1 year contract at 10.5 (or whatever the cutoff is) with the understanding that they would then offer him an 8-year extension at 12M+ whenever it's legally possible to do so?  Would the league flag that as circumvention or something?

2 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

So Marner's agent came out and said he's expecting at least one 12.5M offer - which is what you'd expect him to say obviously - but I'll be very surprised if a team is willing to commit to those terms and lose 4 first round picks for him.

That said - why couldn't a team offer him a 1 year contract at 10.5 (or whatever the cutoff is) with the understanding that they would then offer him an 8-year extension at 12M+ whenever it's legally possible to do so?  Would the league flag that as circumvention or something?

If its circumvention or not would depend on what team did it. If the Devils did it, it would most definitely be circumvention. If Chicago does it, it's a smart business move. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

it's perfectly fine because if he signed it, toronto would just match and kick the can down the line for another year. this makes no sense to anyone but toronto for this scenario.

there won't be an offer sheet - if he and toronto can't agree, toronto will go out and find a trade for less than the 4 1st rounders which i don't expect anyone to pony up.

• Thanks 1