2019 Offseason Thread

Daniel

5 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I hope she gets a residency at a NJ hospital so he ends up having to live here anyway and he has to drive past the prudential center on his way through the stupid tunnel every day and then one day when we win the cup and the Rangers are in last place he gets stuck in traffic because of the parade and then he poops his pants. 

Image result for agree gif

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

And so far as Shero not being able to "sell" the team and location to players, that's loser talk.  And if he ever said that to me if I owned the team, I'd fire his ass immediately.  You know how you sell the team, if you have confidence in what you're doing, say you're building a team that will be really special and players should be eager to be a part of it.  There are only so many no state income tax contracts that Tampa or Dallas can give out.

You can blow smoke up agents' and NHLers' butts as much as you want, all the bluster in the world won't suddenly put the state of New Jersey on the map in free agents' wishlists after almost 40 years of existence. We are not a unique and special snowflake of a state or a franchise, unfortunately. Shero or Lamoriello or Yzerman, or whoever wants to be our GM, that's not going to just change anytime soon. It is what it is.

Edited by DJ Eco

Just now, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Screenshot_20190618-195512_Twitter.thumb.jpg.0df9bbb5fa5dbf41cec43627e2f46f04.jpg

Sportsnet decided to post this delightful article. 

Meh, Nico went #1 in a draft where the original "clear" possible #1s (Nico or Nolan) weren't projected for true greatness.  Wasn't like Nico was supposed to be a generational or even elite player...in a lot of other drafts, he doesn't go #1 overall.  But not like he's going to be a disappointment...just the fact that he's been plenty solid as an 18 and 19-year-old is a good sign.  He should have a plenty good career.  I'm happy with him. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Meh, Nico went #1 in a draft where the original "clear" possible #1s (Nico or Nolan) weren't projected for true greatness.  Wasn't like Nico was supposed to be a generational or even elite player...in a lot of other drafts, he doesn't go #1 overall.  But not like he's going to be a disappointment...just the fact that he's been plenty solid as an 18 and 19-year-old is a good sign.  He should have a plenty good career.  I'm happy with him. 

More reason why the Devils should take Hughes.  Nico isn't really a #1 center while Hughes likely is.  We draft Kakko and that forces Nico into the #1 center unless we cross our fingers again and hope for another lottery pick sometime soon.

• Like 1

If Hall was healthy last season Nico could have put up 65+points as a 200ft player in his second NHL season. Then people wouldn't have sh!t to say. He hasnt been anywhere close to disappointing. His linemates for part of the season came straight out of the AHL lol, how convenient to not factor that in because it hurts the narrative they want to push. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

If Hall was healthy last season Nico could have put up 65+points as a 200ft player in his second NHL season. Then people wouldn't have sh!t to say. He hasnt been anywhere close to disappointing. His linemates for part of the season came straight out of the AHL lol, how convenient to not factor that in because it hurts the narrative they want to push. 

a true #1 center doesnt need a superstar winger to hit 65pts though. Obviously it helps but he'd be supposed to make his wingers better

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, DJ Eco said:

You can blow smoke up agents' and NHLers' butts as much as you want, all the bluster in the world won't suddenly put the state of New Jersey on the map in free agents' wishlists after almost 40 years of existence. We are not a unique and special snowflake of a state or a franchise, unfortunately. Shero or Lamoriello or Yzerman, or whoever wants to be our GM, that's not going to just change anytime soon. It is what it is.

He's a GM of a hockey team, not a real estate agent or an entertainment director.  He should be convincing players to come here to be part of winner.  It's not a command that every free agent must come here or want to come here.  It is a command that he have a strong belief in what he's supposedly doing and that he shouldn't just roll over and go looking for table scraps because the state of New Jersey has a bad reputation with late night talk show hosts. 

I see no plan whatsoever, hence no free agents except Pittsburgh castoffs that want to come here.

4 minutes ago, Daniel said:

He's a GM of a hockey team, not a real estate agent or an entertainment director.  He should be convincing players to come here to be part of winner.  It's not a command that every free agent must come here or want to come here.  It is a command that he have a strong belief in what he's supposedly doing and that he shouldn't just roll over and go looking for table scraps because the state of New Jersey has a bad reputation with late night talk show hosts. 

I see no plan whatsoever, hence no free agents except Pittsburgh castoffs that want to come here.

Based on all your comments... if you play sports... im going to guess that you HAVE to be the dude who's "always open and would have scored if someone passed you the puck/ball to you" (in your mind)... on like... every single play lol. But you never bother to understand and realize that there's other players in better position than you or that your teammates didnt see you, that a pass to you isn't the best option or simply couldnt pass it to you. 

It's hell to play with people like that.... or read their comments online.

Edited by SterioDesign

1 hour ago, CMONPETEYD said:

This Flyers deal bothers me more than the Rangers one.  The fact that they let the Sharks off the hook after the Karlsson deal is mind blowing.  Braun sucks and they paid a 2 and a 3.  I guess good for us because the Flyers made a bad deal, but Sharks are one of the teams we could potentially deal with for good value players on the cheap!

I like the fact that Fletcher appears to be a total doofus.

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

I like the fact that Fletcher appears to be a total doofus.

It's bad for us since it makes life easier for the Sharks and hence they have less of a need to lose someone really good like Meier as part of a cap dump to a Metro Division team.  Fletcher is pretty smart, so it wouldn't shock me if he had something like that in mind. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

It's bad for us since it makes life easier for the Sharks and hence they have less of a need to lose someone really good like Meier as part of a cap dump to a Metro Division team.  Fletcher is pretty smart, so it wouldn't shock me if he had something like that in mind. 

Perhaps.... but I don’t think Meier was ever on the table. He’s a guy I’m sure SJ has identified as a mission critical piece- he’s only 20 or 21 too. He was never gonna be an option.

15 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I said Nico isn't a disappointment. I never claimed he was a true #1 center. 

To be fair, if you a draft a center 1st overall and he doesn't turn into a true #1 center.. he's going to end up being considered a disappointment.

Don't get me wrong, love Nico and what he brings.  But.. if he peaks as a 2C.. yikes.

Just now, Devilsfan118 said:

To be fair, if you a draft a center 1st overall and he doesn't turn into a true #1 center.. he's going to end up being considered a disappointment.

Don't get me wrong, love Nico and what he brings.  But.. if he peaks as a 2C.. yikes.

Nico won’t have to be a #1 center once Hughes hits his stride. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Based on all your comments... if you play sports... im going to guess that you HAVE to be the dude who's "always open and would have scored if someone passed you the puck/ball to you" (in your mind)... on like... every single play lol. But you never bother to understand and realize that there's other players in better position than you or that your teammates didnt see you, that a pass to you isn't the best option or simply couldnt pass it to you. 

It's hell to play with people like that.... or read their comments online.

Whoof, the metaphors again.

For a long time, basketball players wanted nothing to do with the Warriors.  Oakland was and still is a dump and it doesn't have anything close to the star power of LA to put up with the insanity of being a wealthy person dealing with the state government of California.  That changed because the GM built a winner and didn't worry about the Lakers being the supposed big boy on the block.  

Ray is of the attitude that he can't compete with the brights lights big city brah, which is pretty pathetic. 

Just now, Devilsfan118 said:

In fairness, if Hughes comes here and is simply better than Nico, and Nico winds up becoming a top 2C who can fill in as the 1C when needed...is that really so bad? 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Daniel said:

You're filling in those blanks, man lol don't think there's one thing that's ever come out of Shero's mouth that indicates he's "caving under the pressure of being a New Jersey GM"... these are just things we as lifelong fans can rationally point out as reality unfortunately. There's really not much to debate here on the matter of New Jersey not being the gold coast for free agents. You work around it, spend some extra money because money talks and bullsh!t walks, and it is what it is. Every GM is telling free agents they're building something great, and to trust them, etc...

Edited by DJ Eco

5 minutes ago, Daniel said:

For a long time, basketball players wanted nothing to do with the Warriors.  Oakland was and still is a dump and it doesn't have anything close to the star power of LA to put up with the insanity of being a wealthy person dealing with the state government of California.  That changed because the GM built a winner and didn't worry about the Lakers being the supposed big boy on the block.  

Ray is of the attitude that he can't compete with the brights lights big city brah, which is pretty pathetic. 

What in god's name are you basing this on, jeez??? Do you really hate the guy that much that you're inventing things to dislike about him? And then getting mad about the thing you invented? haha Really?

Edited by DJ Eco

Just now, DJ Eco said:

You're filling in those blanks, man lol don't think there's one thing that's ever come out of Shero's mouth that indicates he's "caving under the pressure of being a New Jersey GM"... these are just things we as lifelong fans can rationally point out as reality unfortunately. There's really not much to debate here on the matter of New Jersey not being the gold coast for free agents. You work around it, spend some extra money because money talks and bullsh!t walks, and it is what it is.

He refuses to even do that, probably because of some bs formula he has about cap dolars to win ratio that is the true measure of a winner in analytics loserville. 

Otherwise, my point is that if he were actually committed to building a winner, players will want to come here.  The only inkling we have of a plan is the Scam Hinkie route to the second round of the playoffs.

Just now, Daniel said:

You keep acting like you know what Ray has in mind. You have no idea.

Just look at the facts. We were rumoured to be after Trouba. Reports said that many teams had better offers than the Rangers. They still took that one. Say we were one of the best offers, what could Ray have done to this point than making a better offer? make a better offer that would likely be an overpayment? And it's not like Ray pitched to Trouba. 

And yeah... that Warriors thing changed cause they built a winner. It takes time! We had the worst team in the league in 2015, with NO assets, NO big prospects, tons of bad contracts and Shero started from nothing. What the hell do you expect 4 years later? Thats 4 years of top UFAs not wanting to commit to a terrible team who finished at the bottom of the league... and that's 4 years of not having assets cause Lou drove the team to the ground leaving it barebone. 

And now free agents this year don't even know if Hall will stick around. So that's another though one for Shero.

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

Pretty much what I just said lol.

Great minds...yeah I posted before seeing yours.

Just now, Daniel said:

So basically you're just going to look for negative slants concerning all things Ray, even if you have to stretch.  Alllllll-righty then! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DJ Eco said:

What in god's name are you basing this on, jeez??? Do you really hate the guy that much that you're inventing things to dislike about him? And then getting mad about the thing you invented? haha Really?

Daniel is straight up delusional basing all his claims on absolutely nothing, its ridiculous

i know ive obviously been quiiiite critical about Lou and his ways but it was always based on reports, his vision, stuff he said, stuff players said and i simply didnt agree with his ways.

You're just straight up making sh!t up.

Edited by SterioDesign