2019 Offseason Thread

Daniel

10 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I think we should have Shero and Daniel battle in a steel cage match. 

I’m guessing he’ll have his big summer acquisition — Tyler Myers — stand in for him while he’s out not making the team better.  Myers may suck at hockey, but he’ll definitely make mince meat of me in the cage match.

Edited by Daniel
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Can we make a bet?

If by some miracle Panarin becomes a Devil, Daniel has to wear a banana costume for 24 hours. On a workday. 

I work from home most of the time, so bet accepted.  You’re paying for the costume though.

I cannot wear it to court though, sorry.

• Like 1

i mean... Shero could offer... 7 years at 16m per for Panarin... (which would not be a good move but the most desperate one) Panarin would then take a discount to play in... Vancouver for 4million a year cause his wife like the mountains and the ocean... and some would still say that Shero fvcked up.

There's really only so much you can do when you're bidding against god knows how many teams

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

i mean... Shero could offer... 7 years at 16m per for Panarin... (which would not be a good move but the most desperate one) Panarin would then take a discount to play in... Vancouver for 4million a year cause his wife like the mountains and the ocean... and some would still say that Shero fvcked up.

There's really only so much you can do when you're bidding against god knows how many teams

$12 million a year with a lot of bonus money up front will be more than anyone else offers.  That’s not the type of money Ray believes in giving anyone so he’s not going to pick up the phone.  

If you listen to everything the man says, he is of the belief that you win by having cap flexibility.  He’s wrong of course, but he’s running the show.

Just now, Daniel said:

$12 million a year with a lot of bonus money up front will be more than anyone else offers.  That’s not the type of money Ray believes in giving anyone so he’s not going to pick up the phone.  

If you listen to everything the man says, he is of the belief that you win by having cap flexibility.  He’s wrong of course, but he’s running the show.

that's the difference with you and everyone else here... we actually LISTEN to what Shero is saying, see what he's trying to do and we understand it. You CLEARLY don't.

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

that's the difference with you and everyone else here... we actually LISTEN to what Shero is saying, see what he's trying to do and we understand it. You CLEARLY don't.

I listen when he repeatedly says that cap space, not good players, is the most important asset a team can have.  

33 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I work from home most of the time, so bet accepted.  You’re paying for the costume though.

You have to save that for when Shero shocks the world and trades for Doughty. 🤣

Edited by MadDog2020

8 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

find me that exact quote and not taken out of context

We have cap space, which is a great asset," Shero said. "But once you start spending it, it goes pretty quickly, and then you realize a year or two later, 'Oh boy.' So it's never been an issue of having the money to spend. From my standpoint, it's spending it wisely and, more importantly, spending it at the right time.”

That was three years ago and nothing has changed except winning the lottery twice and still doing nothing.  He’s a charlatan just like Harris’s other guy, Scam Hinkie.

• Like 1

I guess a lot fans are mad this early in the off season process this year is because of last year's total inactivity, which is understandable.

Let's just wait and see what they do.

The Devils can certainly be aggressive and bring in players like Ehlers and Subban, but who the hell knows.

Let's just not hope their big move is to re-acquire David Clarkson just to get to the cap floor. Devils fans will revolt if this happens.

Edited by njbuff
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

We have cap space, which is a great asset," Shero said. "But once you start spending it, it goes pretty quickly, and then you realize a year or two later, 'Oh boy.' So it's never been an issue of having the money to spend. From my standpoint, it's spending it wisely and, more importantly, spending it at the right time.”

That was three years ago and nothing has changed except winning the lottery twice and still doing nothing.  He’s a charlatan just like Harris’s other guy, Scam Hinkie.

haha and from that you get that he basically said that it's more important to have cap space than good players.

Amazing. It's insanely amazing how disconnected and delusional you are. Or you're straight up trolling. Either way its painful to watch

53 minutes ago, Daniel said:

20 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

You have to save that for when Shero shocks the world and trades for Doughty. 🤣

I mean, as long as he puts a suit over it he should be fine...

Not to engage with that dude again and trying to get back on topic with the offseason. 

But i fully appreciate Shero's approach to build a strong team. Here's what i see from him

1- He knows to build a successful team that you need to put the right pieces together. There's some trial and error for sure but there's ways to minimize the risks. I think Grabner is a good example, on paper he was perfect for us the way we wanted to play. It just didn't click at all. But at least we traded for him and didn't sign him for 4-5 years. 

2- Not making any panic moves and sticking to his plan. Which IMO is to keep heading forward and staying on track focused on his goal... which means... trying to build from within and improve internally while putting yourself in a position where you can grab a key pieces from the outside when it makes sense. 

Which means drafting well, developing your young guys and not making dumb spending that will bite your ass down the road. Shero has done that so far.

Now the thing is.. you can never guarantee WHEN you'll land an impact player through trades or free agency. It's impossible to predict. All you can do is make sure you have the cap space and money to acquire someone that is REALLY worth it. And not go and throw 6 years at 7.5m per year for a 31 years old guy just to "do something". Then even if there's an opening.. its never guaranteed that the player will want to sign with you.

At this point there's only ONE player on the market that could have a big impact long term on our team and it's Panarin. And it's a pipe dream to get him.

So making trades is our only option... and we don't have thaaat many good assets to make a big big move happen. 

• Like 1

I guess icing teams bad enough to qualify for the ping pong ball lottery is a valid off-season strategy especially when it works out for you getting the first pick twice.

That strategy is hard to implement when you're slightly better than a bottom feeder.

I'm half serious so no need for an aneurysm.  🤣 

36 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I guess a lot fans are mad this early in the off season process this year is because of last year's total inactivity, which is understandable.

Let's just wait and see what they do.

The Devils can certainly be aggressive and bring in players like Ehlers and Subban, but who the hell knows.

Let's just not hope their big move is to re-acquire David Clarkson just to get to the cap floor. Devils fans will revolt if this happens.

No no this is what happens with the internet - Clickbait for faux outrage lives off these generalizations. One or two people go on a rant after having a bad day and all of a sudden it’s A LOT of people.  The vast majority of people here aren’t on the ledge.

15 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Every year I think I know the market and then every year a guy like Kevin Hayes gets seven fvcking million dollars per season and I realize I know absolutely nothing.

if Hayes is worth 7, I’m pretty certain the market price for Taylor Hall is +/- 39.5 million per season.

Someone else will be giving Hall that money.  Alex Killorn and Brett Connelly will pick up the slack.

16 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Every year I think I know the market and then every year a guy like Kevin Hayes gets seven fvcking million dollars per season and I realize I know absolutely nothing.

if Hayes is worth 7, I’m pretty certain the market price for Taylor Hall is +/- 39.5 million per season.

When that's what happen when GMs go on message boards and get pressured by desperate fans like Daniel to make a move no matter what and throw ridiculous money at anyone just so they didnt stay put.

5 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

When that's what happen when GMs go on message boards and get pressured by desperate fans like Daniel to make a move no matter what and throw ridiculous money at anyone just so they didnt stay put.

I wanted Ray to trade minimal assets for Jacob Trouba who would have been our best defenseman.  Notwithstanding Brooks’ click bait, it’s obvious he didn’t pick up the phone.  

I want him to follow through on his promise to “weaponize” cap space he’s been sitting on all these years, and all we’re going to get is some third line winger. 

He can’t possibly fvck up the draft can he?

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

7 years at 7 per for a soon to be 28 year old who’s only scored 20 goals once in his career. 

Holy stupid.

It’s better than money unspent on an abstract notion of cap efficiency that will score exactly zero goals.

9 hours ago, Daniel said:

Lou is one of the greatest GM the sport has ever seen.  Ray's biggest claim to fame is winning a Cup by virtue of just not being a total moron. 

Welcome back Ben Lovejoy!

I’d say Ray’s biggest claim to fame is obviously fleecing the Oilers on a one-for-one trade of Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson...

but that’s just me. 

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I’d say Ray’s biggest claim to fame is obviously fleecing the Oilers on a one-for-one trade of Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson...

but that’s just me. 

When he fails to build a team that is capable of sustainable success four years after doing that, and all we get are some crap draft picks in selling Hall off, Shero will go back to showing you the Stanley Cup ring he didn’t earn.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Daniel said:

When he fails to build a team that is capable of sustainable success four years after doing that, and all we get are some crap draft picks in selling Hall off, Shero will go back to showing you the Stanley Cup ring he didn’t earn.

Not sure what any of that has to do with what I said. 

You said his biggest achievement was in Pittsburgh. You’re wrong.