2019 Offseason Thread

Daniel

Just now, Nicomo said:

Not sure what any of that has to do with what I said. 

You said his biggest achievement was in Pittsburgh. You’re wrong. 

there's literally no point engaging with him anymore. He's legit just trolling or blinded by his own delusion. You can't have a sane conversation with him at all. He keeps making sh!t up or failing to understand the big picture or how things really went behind closed doors.

I'm sorry for engaging with him that much cause i know i just gave him the opportunity to say more dumb sh!ts that's infuriating any sane fan here.

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

Not sure what any of that has to do with what I said. 

You said his biggest achievement was in Pittsburgh. You’re wrong. 

And my point is that a lopsided trade in his favor with a GM who made plenty of those is not much of an achievement, especially when it led to the team winning exactly one fvcking playoff game over four years.

8 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Screenshot_20190618-195512_Twitter.thumb.jpg.0df9bbb5fa5dbf41cec43627e2f46f04.jpg

Sportsnet decided to post this delightful article. 

Authors take on Nico:

Screenshot_20190618-194545_Firefox.thumb.jpg.b176be49d7e5b3e9f12de214ac3ec13b.jpg

This really just speaks to how good a run of #1OA picks there was for about a decade. Not so much a knock against Nico. And as much as I love him, I don’t really disagree with their ranking tbh. I might put him ahead of Ekblad, but other than that it looks about right. It’s still obviously very early to really judge him against some of those veterans though. 

Also, Kane is not generational. Only Crosby, Ovi, and McDavid, are. 

4 minutes ago, Daniel said:

And my point is that a lopsided trade in his favor with a GM who made plenty of those is not much of an achievement, especially when it led to the team winning exactly one fvcking playoff game over four years.

Well they only made the playoffs because of said trade, but like Sterio said, you’re not really interested in having a legit discussion so I’ll leave it at that. 

4 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Well they only made the playoffs because of said trade, but like Sterio said, you’re not really interested in having a legit discussion so I’ll leave it at that. 

I am willing to listen to what people think Shero might plausibly do in the next couple weeks to improve the team outside of drafting Jack Hughes.  

All I see happening is the old second and a third for whatever.

2 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

For his next trick, Jeff Gorton will trade Krieder and a number one pick to the Avs for Nathan MacKinnon and Marc Staal and two second rounders for Johnny Gaudreau.  

And we’ll get excuses here like,  “some guys just want to play in Manhattan, it’s not Ray’s fault” and “The trade is one for one, that was awesome!”

12 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I am willing to listen to what people think Shero might plausibly do in the next couple weeks to improve the team outside of drafting Jack Hughes.  

Sign Panarin. :P

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Daniel said:

What he can plausibly do is very limited and completely out of his hands in some cases. But you don't understand that. 

Still here's a few moves he could do. Not saying i'd agree with all of these but these are the only plausible options with what we have.

1) Try to get a top 6 forward, a top 4 dman or move up in the first round with a package of our 2 second rounds picks and 3rd + extra players like Zacha..McLeod, etc

2) Try to get a good player from a team that is fvcked by the cap at good value by taking a bad contract off their hands.

3) Bite the bullet and trade something we really don't want like Bratt or Severson at position where we actually need them

4) Our biggest asset is our cap space. But there's literally nobody worth signing outside of Panarin so its just not a good timing. He's legit the only free agent that i feel would be a good move. Anything else would be a panic move and i'd rather give a shot to Boqvist than overpay for a 30 years old.

5) Trade for Panarin's rights in order to be able to offer him an 8th year on his contract. That's a huge risk and we could be sacrificing an asset for nothing if he still decide to test the market and sign somewhere else. Not sure i'd do it even if i really want Panarin

and realize that "All I see happening is the old second and a third for whatever." That's because of Lou for stripping the team of all its assets and future. It's certainly not shero's fault. It takes time to rebuild a prospect pool and gather assets when you have absolutely nothing. Takes more than 4 years for sure

Edited by SterioDesign

So for the hell of it what was Hayes worth? Of course because he didn't land here the numbers thrown out here now will be pretty low but just try and keep it realistic. I'm assuming we could squeeze in a guy like him somewhere in this lineup and by squeezing him in he would of made them better. 

Just now, SterioDesign said:

What he can plausibly do is very limited and completely out of his hands in some cases. But you don't understand that. 

Still here's a few moves he could do. Not saying i'd agree with all of these but these are the only plausible options with what we have.

1) Try to get a top 6 forward, a top 4 dman or move up in the first round with a package of our 2 second rounds picks and 3rd + extra players like Zacha..McLeod, etc

2) Try to get a good player from a team that is fvcked by the cap at good value by taking a bad contract off their hands.

3) Bite the bullet and trade something we really don't want like Bratt or Severson at position where we actually need them

4) Our biggest asset is our cap space. But there's literally nobody worth signing outside of Panarin so its just not a good timing. He's legit the only free agent that i feel would be a good move. Anything else would be a panic move and i'd rather give a shot to Boqvist than overpay for a 30 years old.

5) Trade for Panarin's rights in order to be able to offer him an 8th year on his contract. That's a huge risk and we could be sacrificing an asset for nothing if he still decide to test the market and sign somewhere else. Not sure i'd do it even if i really want Panarin

Five can’t happen, and otherwise you’re talking in the same generalities your GM uses when he’s got bubkis. 

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

Five can’t happen, and otherwise you’re talking in the same generalities your GM uses when he’s got bubkis. 

Done. im done with you.

moments after i said it was useless to even attempt to have a legit discussion with you, i still give you another chance cause i thought maybe there was hope and you fvck it up.

7 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Done. im done with you.

moments after i said it was useless to even attempt to have a legit discussion with you, i still give you another chance cause i thought maybe there was hope and you fvck it up.

You proposed something that is literally impossible, trading for Panarin’s rights to give him an eighth year.  

NHL Salary cap may go below 82 million, may be even 81.5 million. I am quite confident we land someone. Rangers will have at most 10 million in cap space after they sign Trouba so doubtful they sign Panarin. If Panarin hits free agency, we still have to contend with the following teams: Sens, Jackets, Canucks, Canes, Jets, Isles and maybe a couple more. So again, dont expect Panarin to simply pack up and come over here.

On the flipside, we can now seriously fleece the Leafs, Knights, Pens, Lightning and whole bunch of teams. Patience guys, patience. Something will happen but negotiation is striking the hammer at the right time, too early or too late and you lose. Shero has shown that astuteness. Its actually what Lou lost in his final days here which caused massive headaches for us, the panic trades and overpaying worn out players.

Lets agree not to get on each others case moving forward.

• Like 4

I'll say this much, if Hall doesnt sign before the season starts I could see a nightmare scenario where he refuses to negotiate during the year and the Rags or Isles give him a mammoth offer next year once he becomes an UFA and he accepts. Seeing Gorton in action, I think he'd beat Lou to the punch and sign Hall. 

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

You proposed something that is literally impossible, trading for Panarin’s rights to give him an eighth year.  

Im referring to you being absolutely disconnected with reality and your unrealistic expectations. It's unbearable. 

Maybe 5 is not possible, i thought it was, if so that's just my mistake. 

Anytime there's a trade or a signing you assume Shero could have done better and just choose to do nothing. While you know NOTHING about the situation, you just make assumptions based on your narrative of hating Shero. As fvcking IF that Shero wouldnt want to get Trouba and didn't at least try. It didn't work or if he didn't maybe it's because he's working on something bigger. There's only so much he can possibly do. And when sh!t don't pan out well other opportunities are gone. It's really not hard to understand but you just can't

Like do you REALLY think he's just sitting there not trying? Are you that insane? Why can't you understand that things need to go right for a deal to happen. It's not just walking around buying stuff. You're competing with other teams and after awhile the bidding was has to end cause it doesn't make sense anymore.

You refer to the last 4 years as if he didn't try anything. Tavares was signing with the leafs or Islanders. Who else would have been worth it? You wanted to pay Neal 5 years for 28million or some sh!t like that?

What would YOU do if you were Shero? let me guess... sign Panarin, trade Vatanen for Doughty... Flip McLeod + 2nd for Crosby and use a time machine to go get a Brodeur in his prime? 

6 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

Panarin is signing with the Rangers. Mark my words. 

i know he is and it's already pissing me off

5 minutes ago, Anhkheg said:

NHL Salary cap may go below 82 million, may be even 81.5 million. I am quite confident we land someone. Rangers will have at most 10 million in cap space after they sign Trouba so doubtful they sign Panarin. If Panarin hits free agency, we still have to contend with the following teams: Sens, Jackets, Canucks, Canes, Jets, Isles and maybe a couple more. So again, dont expect Panarin to simply pack up and come over here.

On the flipside, we can now seriously fleece the Leafs, Knights, Pens, Lightning and whole bunch of teams. Patience guys, patience. Something will happen but negotiation is striking the hammer at the right time, too early or too late and you lose. Shero has shown that astuteness. Its actually what Lou lost in his final days here which caused massive headaches for us, the panic trades and overpaying worn out players.

Lets agree not to get on each others case moving forward.

I tend to think the rags are still the odds on favorite to land Panarin. Hopefully I'm wrong. But we can always say be wasn't a good fit here when he lands elsewhere. 🤣

• Like 1

Ray can offer Panarin a lot more money than the Rangers or Florida.  Ray won’t though.  If it comes up, he’ll give the same excuse that he just didn’t want to come here, and we’ll all believe it because we’re suckers.

Edited by Daniel

20 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

I'll say this much, if Hall doesnt sign before the season starts I could see a nightmare scenario where he refuses to negotiate during the year and the Rags or Isles give him a mammoth offer next year once he becomes an UFA and he accepts. Seeing Gorton in action, I think he'd beat Lou to the punch and sign Hall. 

A Devils fan imagining a nightmare scenario?! How fvcking novel. After Hall signs with the Rags, will he and Gorton team up to try and burn the Rock down too, just for good measure? And if so, will it be before or after the introductory press conference? 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

A Devils fan imagining a nightmare scenario?! How fvcking novel. After Hall signs with the Rags, will he and Gorton team up to try and burn the Rock down too, just for good measure? And if so, will it be before or after the introductory press conference? 

Don’t be silly, Gorton can’t burn the Rock down.  The building is lined with cap space which is not flammable.  Didn’t they teach you this in middle school science class?

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Definitely before, so Gorton can show video of Hall doing a moonwalk across the ashes. 

Edited by slasher72
  • Haha 1

looking at Tampa's roster and it's absolutely insane... They are a team we should target trying to get a deal cause they won't be able to retain everyone

7945029_ScreenShot2019-06-19at1_24_42AM.thumb.png.c91a9a2b6fbd4de60e16732dab8beedf.png

I mean... their 4th line.... Gourde who scored 22 goals last season and 48 pts....  J.T Miller 47 pts... Killorn 40 pts. 

6 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Don’t be silly, Gorton can’t burn the Rock down.  The building is lined with cap space which is not flammable.  Didn’t they teach you this in middle school science class?

15 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Ray can offer Panarin a lot more money than the Rangers or Florida.  Ray won’t though.  If it comes up, he’ll give the same excuse that he just didn’t want to come here, and we’ll all believe it because we’re suckers.

Great you keep posting but ignore my post/question putting you in a corner. Come on. What would YOU do if you were Shero? 

Tell me exactly what you'd do and that you know would work 100%. Stuff like "signing Panarin" doesnt work cause it's not a guarantee. Tell me something you can guarantee you would do if you were him. 

Come on smart ass