2019 Offseason Thread

Daniel

1 minute ago, Satans Hockey said:

The Rangers have won 1 playoff round since Gorton has been their GM and missed the playoffs 2 of his 4 seasons. Sure it's better than what we have done but it's really not that much better. 

Well the bottom fell out for them finally. But between 2008 and 2017 they were very competitive and a Cup contender a lot of years. I'm glad they didn't win one.

But it all crashed down in 2017. And here we are in 2019 and they're about to turn this thing around fast (it seems) and just stole Trouba and about to land Kakko and probably Panarin. 

• Like 2

The only person who thinks Pionk is any good was this dopey Ranger fan who calls into NHL Radio and said he could be the next Erik Karlsson (yes, that happened).

In the end, Ray cares much more about being perceived as being clever rather than putting a team together that actually wins.  Hence, in the absence of having a Chiarelli to take advantage of (like a lot of other GMs have), his rinky-dink second and third round specials and touting his plan that has resulted in nothing and being intimidated by having to compete with the Rangers.

Edited by Daniel

I have a feeling we'll either get a Devils move today, or if not, start hearing a strong rumor.

This feeling is based on absolutely nothing. I just feel like we'll get a "response" to the Trouba deal. These things usually happen between 12-2pm. 

I'm not saying people won't have a meltdown and talk about how sh!tty it is that the Rangers got Trouba and we got whoever, that's a given. 

• Like 1

Just now, mfitz804 said:

I have a feeling we'll either get a Devils move today, or if not, start hearing a strong rumor.

This feeling is based on absolutely nothing. I just feel like we'll get a "response" to the Trouba deal. These things usually happen between 12-2pm. 

I'm not saying people won't have a meltdown and talk about how sh!tty it is that the Rangers got Trouba and we got whoever, that's a given. 

Could be gas

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

The only person who thinks Pionk is any good was this dopey Ranger fan who calls into NHL Radio and said he could be the next Erik Karlsson (yes, that happened).

In the end, Ray cares much more about being perceived as being clever rather than putting a team together that actually wins.  Hence, in the absence of having a Chiarelli to take advantage of (like a lot of other GMs have), his rinky-dink second and third round specials and touting his plan that has resulted in nothing and being intimidated by having to compete with the Rangers.

Related image

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, devlman said:

I think he’s a point per game guy eventually. Way too good a skater and elite hockey IQ. Once he realizes how great his wrist shot is he’ll be a ppg player. No reason to think he’ll stop developing at 60 points. Kid just turned 20 and made great strides year 1 to 2.

I’ll gladly take 60-70 points per season if he’s competing for Selke trophies in the near future. 

But yeah, a PPG would be amazing. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I hope you’re right, but based on what we have seen the past few years, and what most will agree is what feels like painstakingly methodical approaches by Ray, we’re not going to get it. Although, when the Hall bullsh!t came out, we got a response from Ray, Hall and his agent, so maybe you’re right... that’d be exciting or at least conversation inducing outside of the polarized debates we’re currently engaged in as a NJDevs community.

Also, and this question is obviously for anyone, but where did people see Ray say “no trades until the draft” or something to that nature. I saw multiple mentions on Twitter and a few here.

18 minutes ago, '7' said:

Well the bottom fell out for them finally. But between 2008 and 2017 they were very competitive and a Cup contender a lot of years. I'm glad they didn't win one.

But it all crashed down in 2017. And here we are in 2019 and they're about to turn this thing around fast (it seems) and just stole Trouba and about to land Kakko and probably Panarin. 

And if Ray can't sign nor trade Hall, Gorton's final "F U" to this franchise will be to go after Hall in free agency next year. You watch. Cap space be damned, they'll find a way to do it.

28 minutes ago, devlman said:

I think he’s a point per game guy eventually. Way too good a skater and elite hockey IQ. Once he realizes how great his wrist shot is he’ll be a ppg player. No reason to think he’ll stop developing at 60 points. Kid just turned 20 and made great strides year 1 to 2.

I think it depends on who his linemates are.  I can see him flirting with 80+ here and there, but if he ever did that consistently, I'd be both stunned and ecstatic. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Related image

Lol, go read the Wyshysnki interview with Shero that just got posted and tell me how he is not Alderson (or Hamlet for that matter).

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/27006755/part-business-devils-gm-ray-shero-taylor-hall-no-1-pick-more

On Hughes: still claims they haven't made a decision.  There is literally no additional information you are going to get, so either he's telling the truth and is a moron or is lying and doing a bad job of it.

But this quote tells you everything you need to know:

ESPN: Do you feel you have to do significant things this summer to help convince him of the path for the franchise? Is picking first overall enough?

Shero: I don't know.

You guys can whistle past the graveyard if you want.  This offseason has utter disaster writen all over it and it's staring you in the face.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Daniel said:

On Hughes: still claims they haven't made a decision.  There is literally no additional information you are going to get, so either he's telling the truth and is a moron or is lying and doing a bad job of it.

I’m sorry, but do people with the #1 OA pick usually announce days before the draft what they are doing?? I have to say, I’ve kind of just been enjoying your rants but this is just a ridiculous assertion. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I’m sorry, but do people with the #1 OA pick usually announce days before the draft what they are doing?? I have to say, I’ve kind of just been enjoying your rants but this is just a ridiculous assertion. 

They often do, actually.  The Avalanche did it when it was a much tougher decision between MacKinnon and Jones.  He doesn't even have to announce it.  Just say we've made our decision and are confident.  Instead what we're seeing is more evidence of is Ray's paralysis by analysis. 

Edited by Daniel

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/27006755/part-business-devils-gm-ray-shero-taylor-hall-no-1-pick-more

Shero on the possibility of an offer sheet this summer:

"We all know what the CBA is. There is no gentleman's agreement. Fvck that sh!t. When people say that, it's a lazy narrative, I'll tell you that. Really? Your ownership's competitive, GMs are competitive, and it's the buddy-buddy system? What the fvck is that? It doesn't mean something will or won't happen, but that's been the narrative for years, and I don't know why."

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Lol, go read the Wyshysnki interview with Shero that just got posted and tell me how he is not Alderson (or Hamlet for that matter).

You guys can whistle past the graveyard if you want.  This offseason has utter disaster writen all over it and it's staring you in the face.

Okay, I get you are easily the new Manta or BostonNala, but the entire damn article/interview Ray is absolutely vague. 

To anyone else who feels compelled to read to see for themselves, don’t. Ray isn’t going to tell agree Wyshinski his offseason plan or how he intends on proving to Hall it will get better, that’ll screw up ANY negotiations he’ll want to have. Then you’ll have even more to bitch about.

Seriously, fvck you for making me have to support ESPN/Wysh by clicking that link to confirm you’re quite literally seeing what you want

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Daniel said:

If no Hall activity, then absolutely. 

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

For the amount of discussions it causes in the press, on tv, on the internet, etc, not to mention the anti-climax at the draft itself I'm sure the NHL must tell teams not to announce who they're going to pick. It's just bad for business.

Does Ray have the final say in any players brought to the team or does Harris and Blitzer have any say?  I’m guessing it’s Ray but I’m also concerned Ray is doing nothing this offseason to bring in that so called “talent” he’s previously referenced.  Hall has made it clear the team needs that as well and if he’s seeing what I believe most of us are as well, he’s prob not gonna re-sign.

Also, is it just me or do others also think that Harris and Blitzer are truly Flyers fan since they own the 76ers and Harris went to school in PA?  Anyone?

4 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Okay, I get you are easily the new Manta or BostonNala, but the entire damn article/interview Ray is absolutely vague. 

To anyone else who feels compelled to read to see for themselves, don’t. Ray isn’t going to tell agree Wyshinski his offseason plan or how he intends on proving to Hall it will get better, that’ll screw up ANY negotiations he’ll want to have. Then you’ll have even more to bitch about.

Seriously, fvck you for making me have to support ESPN/Wysh by clicking that link to confirm you’re quite literally seeing what you want

I'm not looking for him to say, we are going to offersheet this player on this day at this much, propose this trade for this player and make this big free agent signing.  I am looking for some sign, any sign, that he appreciates what's happening around him and even something more fundamental like the object of the sport is to score more goals than the other team not to have more cap space than everyone else. 

Edited by Daniel

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

I'm not looking for him to say, we are going to offersheet this player on this day at this much, propose this trade for this player and make this big free agent signing.  I am looking for some sign, any sign, that he appreciates what's happening around him and even something more fundamental like the object of the sport is to score more goals than the other team not to have more cap space than everyone else. 

So you want him to acknowledge the panic at the fan level instead of being the GM and handling what he can?

Kind of like when a sh!tty Canadian reporter throws out an unbacked claim to generate clicks for his sh!tty site, the GM comes out and says it’s not true followed closely by the agent?

Man, we definitely haven’t seen that before. I wish Ray would do something like that. Oh well...

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Daniel, you've been watching pro sports long enough to know that GMs don't often make for great interviews...they don't tend to spell out what they're going to do, and a lot of times fall back on vague GM speak.  I don't know why you'd take anything Ray is saying during one interview about his "plans" as total gospel.

And next time maybe post the whole snippet that came after "I don't know", instead of slicing and dicing just to forward your anti-Ray agenda...clearly he said a lot more than "I don't know":

Shero: I don't know. I think everything we're doing here is for the best for the organization. Let's be honest: Taylor was somewhere else for six years. He didn't make the playoffs. We weren't a part of that, obviously, but when he came here we made a run in 2017-18 and then last year wasn't good for him or the team due to his injury.

He's a significant part of our franchise. That's why we're not trying to rush. We'll explain to him what we're trying to do and why and the timing of things, and see if he understands that and the timing of things, and then go from there. Everything we do here is for our franchise and not one particular player. But with that said, he's a significant part of our franchise. It's not frustrating. It's not a rush. It's just what it is.

Thanks for the context. I’m still trying to figure out how one move (Trouba) has turned Daniel into a fvcking mental patient lol.

4 minutes ago, ajsgolf said:

Does Ray have the final say in any players brought to the team or does Harris and Blitzer have any say?  I’m guessing it’s Ray but I’m also concerned Ray is doing nothing this offseason to bring in that so called “talent” he’s previously referenced.  Hall has made it clear the team needs that as well and if he’s seeing what I believe most of us are as well, he’s prob not gonna re-sign.

Also, is it just me or do others also think that Harris and Blitzer are truly Flyers fan since they own the 76ers and Harris went to school in PA?  Anyone?

I would like to think Ray approaches them, says we can get x player for y cost. They go, sure. End of discussion. 

Hell, if I had millions and millions and owned a team, i’d say build me a winner and who do I make the checks out to, with very little inputs if I wasn’t a fan of the sport. 

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Daniel, you've been watching pro sports long enough to know that GMs don't often make for great interviews...they don't tend to spell out what they're going to do, and a lot of times fall back on vague GM speak.  I don't know why you'd take anything Ray is saying during one interview about his "plans" as total gospel.

And next time maybe post the whole snippet that came after "I don't know", instead of slicing and dicing just to forward your anti-Ray agenda...clearly he said a lot more than "I don't know":

Shero: I don't know. I think everything we're doing here is for the best for the organization. Let's be honest: Taylor was somewhere else for six years. He didn't make the playoffs. We weren't a part of that, obviously, but when he came here we made a run in 2017-18 and then last year wasn't good for him or the team due to his injury.

He's a significant part of our franchise. That's why we're not trying to rush. We'll explain to him what we're trying to do and why and the timing of things, and see if he understands that and the timing of things, and then go from there. Everything we do here is for our franchise and not one particular player. But with that said, he's a significant part of our franchise. It's not frustrating. It's not a rush. It's just what it is.

Ok, again. There has never been an offseason like this where a Devils franchise is as well positioned to improve the team dramatically with the unusual number of impact players that are available. When asked if he needs to take advantage of that to convince the team's best player to stay he cannot say "I don't know" unless the words that follow it are, "sorry I misheard your question." 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ajsgolf said:

I'm more afraid of Harris / Blitzer sticking true to their private equity roots and looking to get the most bang (i.e. ticket sales, merch) for the lowest buck (i.e. plenty of money saved & high unused cap space).