2019 Offseason Thread

Daniel

3 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Speaking of dreams , I saw on Twitter some speculation that Patrik Laine could be moved and the Devil's being mentioned. I can't see us having the resources to get that done, but who knows. 

That would be expensive.... probably too rich for our blood.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

fvck that. And we already have palms streakyness. 

i will never understand the whole "streakyness" jab as some sort of insult lol

if a guy average 20 goals in a season that's pretty good... that means over 82 games... that he'll score every 4 games or so (kind of)... and if he average 30 goals... means he'll score every 2-3 games... which is even better

And of course when you can score multiple goals per game which makes the gap between each games with at least a goal even bigger.

So i simply don't understand the expectations really? lol if you get a cold streak... means there was a hot streak before... over the season its the same

6 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

if a guy average 20 goals in a season that's pretty good... that means over 82 games... that he'll score every 4 games or so (kind of)... and if he average 30 goals... means he'll score every 2-3 games... which is even better

(...) 

The problem is when you based your offense on a streaky player(s)... The whole team suffer from it as no one else is scoring..

3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

well how does other teams does it? there's no 82 goals players in the league lol

Well if Laine scores 30g for the season and is putting up 5 in one game and 3 in a few others that doesn't exactly spread the rest of his scoring out or help in a majority of the other games. Yea ,cool, he scored 5 in a game. What about the other 82 games? You want to get scoring in those too. The prerogative is to win games, not beat the other team by x number of goals. 

1 minute ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Well if Laine scores 30g for the season and is putting up 5 in one game and 3 in a few others that doesn't exactly spread the rest of his scoring out or help in a majority of the other games. Yea ,cool, he scored 5 in a game. What about the other 82 games? You want to get scoring in those too. The prerogative is to win games, not beat the other team by x number of goals. 

well what if the other team scored 6 goals?

2 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

We have had a sh!t offense long enough, I’m not going to worry about how a 30 goal scorer spreads out his goals. Get me more 30 goal scorers and we’ll figure that sh!t out. 

Just now, SterioDesign said:

well what if the other team scored 6 goals?

Then if Laine is the only goal scorer then you still lost? What is your point? We are talking about streaky scoring. It's still better to have it spread out then score 5 in a game and disappear for 3-4 weeks.

19 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

And of course when you can score multiple goals per game which makes the gap between each games with at least a goal even bigger.

So i simply don't understand the expectations really? lol if you get a cold streak... means there was a hot streak before... over the season its the same

The issue with Laine is if he isn’t scoring goals, he’s borderline useless. I love his sniping ability and he can be fun to watch, but I’m not paying upwards of $9 million a year on a seven year deal AND giving up valuable assets for a guy who isn’t doing much of anything else if he isn’t scoring goals.

Just now, NJDevils1214 said:

Exactly this.  He could also be putting up a tonne of empty netters which are uselss.

I'd much rather have a point per game player than a guy who scores 30 goals in 30 games and nothing in 52.

Just now, mfitz804 said:

We have had a sh!t offense long enough, I’m not going to worry about how a 30 goal scorer spreads out his goals. Get me more 30 goal scorers and we’ll figure that sh!t out. 

Kind of funny coming from you because you'd be the first person to make a meme with Laine fading in a picture like in Back to the Future or something the second he starts to become a passenger at 10m+ a season.

Just now, NJDevils1214 said:

Kind of funny coming from you because you'd be the first person to make a meme with Laine fading in a picture like in Back to the Future or something the second he starts to become a passenger at 10m+ a season.

1) You overestimate my photoshopping skills, and

2) You are right and now I want him even more. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Then if Laine is the only goal scorer then you still lost? What is your point? We are talking about streaky scoring. It's still better to have it spread out then score 5 in a game and disappear for 3-4 weeks.

Well of course but my point is that there was only 23 PPG players in the NHL last year.

A guy like Laine played 3 seasons, 70, 64 and 50 pts. It's pretty respectable.

I get that he may not bring much defensively and all but at the end of the day.. it really depends on when the goals are scored and its really a case by case basis thing rather than a broad statement, maybe the timing or bad or maybe its fine depending on who else is scoring when, its a team game

29 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well of course but my point is that there was only 23 PPG players in the NHL last year.

A guy like Laine played 3 seasons, 70, 64 and 50 pts. It's pretty respectable.

I get that he may not bring much defensively and all but at the end of the day.. it really depends on when the goals are scored and its really a case by case basis thing rather than a broad statement, maybe the timing or bad or maybe its fine depending on who else is scoring when, its a team game

110G, 74A in his first 3 years. For Nico to equal that, he needs 73G and 12 A this season. 

If you don’t want that guy on your team, I don’t understand what you want. 

Edited by mfitz804

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

110G, 74A in his first 3 years. For Nico to equal that, he needs 73G and 12 A this season. 

If you don’t want that guy on your team, I don’t understand what you want. 

well exactly lol and he's still young and learning.

But obviously someone will bring up that Nico does so much more that doesnt how on the scoresheet etc etc... which is true... but 73G and 12 A does show on the gamesheet and makes you win games lol