2019 Offseason Thread

Daniel

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

110G, 74A in his first 3 years. For Nico to equal that, he needs 73G and 12 A this season. 

If you don’t want that guy on your team, I don’t understand what you want. 

Last year Laine had to have Byfuglien remind him that he was in the NHL and to skate. I don't think there will ever be a point in Nico's career where he will have to get cussed out on the ice in the middle of play for being so lazy. Laine is a 1 dimensional player. He is Ovechkin without the drive. I'd much rather have the Halls and Nicos that bring it every night than a guy like that.

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

But obviously someone will bring up that Nico does so much more that doesnt how on the scoresheet etc etc... which is true... but 73G and 12 A does show on the gamesheet and makes you win games lol

I’m not saying to TRADE Nico for him. I’m saying if you have Nico PLUS the guy who crushed his first 3 years of stats, that’s a good thing. 

1 minute ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I'd much rather have the Halls and Nicos that bring it every night than a guy like that.

Same argument, we have the cap room for all three of them, no need to choose. 

also nico had 5 pts in his last 14 games. At that pace its 30 pts per season. Every player goes through some sort of streak through the season unless they hit 70-80 pts... which is not many players in the league

Edited by SterioDesign

6 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

also nico had 5 pts in his last 14 games. At that pace its 30 pts per season. Every player goes through some sort of streak through the season unless they hit 70-80 pts... which is not many players in the league

That’s even more evidence I’m right, because people are criticizing Laine for being streaky when in reality, that happens to most players. 

Again, I’m not saying Nico is better or worse, I used him as a comparison because 1) He has 2 years played and Laine has 3, and Laine is one year older, meaning they both started their career at the same age, and 2) everyone loves Nico and considers him untouchable. 

If Nico is untouchable, I don’t see how anyone could just take a pass on Laine. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

well exactly lol and he's still young and learning.

But obviously someone will bring up that Nico does so much more that doesnt how on the scoresheet etc etc... which is true... but 73G and 12 A does show on the gamesheet and makes you win games lol

maybe i can help put it into better terms  - imagine you have a relationship with a girl and it's on and off again (Laine), versus a steady thing that you work towards for awhile (Nico). Sure the on and off again thing is fun and new and exciting, but in the long run the investment you put into the steady thing should turn out to be the best, and the on and off again thing will wind up breaking your heart.

• Haha 1

Nico hit a reasonable point target and did a lot more away from that so you can at least make the arguement that just because he wasn't on the scoresheet he was an active participant in the game. All Laine does is score goals and he couldn't do that for a long stretch, like 12-15 games, and he way missed his expected points target for the year. He's a passenger. He has found success at every level with minimal effort and expects to be able to phone it in at the NHL level. It doesn't work that way. Fortnight is his top concern over NHL games some nights.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dmann422 said:

maybe i can help put it into better terms  - imagine you have a relationship with a girl and it's on and off again (Laine), versus a steady thing that you work towards for awhile (Nico). Sure the on and off again thing is fun and new and exciting, but in the long run the investment you put into the steady thing should turn out to be the best, and the on and off again thing will wind up breaking your heart.

Maybe I can...

In my scenario, you get to fvck them both at the same time. 

44185615874_bca9b3499d_b.jpg

Edited by mfitz804

3 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

There are better options for the amount of money he will want.

That's a different question altogether. I'm not saying give him whatever he wants, he shouldn't be making Marner money. Neither should Nico. 

Edited by mfitz804

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

That's a different question altogether. I'm not saying give him whatever he wants, he shouldn't b making Marner money. 

Okay, well that's a relevant part of my argument against bringing him in--besides the streakyness and, widely perceived, lack of effort he puts forth regularly. My argument was never Nico or Hall or Laine vs having them all at once.

Just now, NJDevils1214 said:

Okay, well that's a relevant part of my argument against bringing him in--besides the streakyness and, widely perceived, lack of effort he puts forth regularly. My argument was never Nico or Hall or Laine vs having them all at once.

Nor was it mine. Mine was that while everyone thinks Nico is "untouchable", Laine has better production despite being "streaky". 

4 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I wouldn't want to pay him. 

His agent has come out and said they're looking for 10m a year.

Like, I like Laine and respect that he's tremendously talented and has boatloads of potential but.. no thank you.  Not even close for me - I don't want anything to do with him for more than 8M per.

1 hour ago, Neb00rs said:

I guess this is part of the Rangers pitch... 

Anywhere but the Rangers, man.

Just go to Florida you idiot.

Edit: Or here, but it's completely quiet on that front so I'm assuming we're not involved here.

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

His agent has come out and said they're looking for 10m a year.

Like, I like Laine and respect that he's tremendously talented and has boatloads of potential but.. no thank you.  Not even close for me - I don't want anything to do with him for more than 8M per.

Yeah I don't believe he's proven himself to be a $10m player quite yet. 

Dreger speculation on TSN just now :

The Devils can't afford to add a 12M player if they plan on signing Hall and Hughes and Hischier et al... to big contracts within the next few years...so it'd be hard to believe the Devils are in for that price.

It's important to continually note that whatever numbers are reported as the amount that Panarin is looking for DOES NOT apply to teams in Florida. As we now he would sign with the Panthers for less given the tax status of the state.

If 12M is true, it might be that he's about ready to sign with the Panthers and he just wants to see how high he can push other teams. But, all speculation of course...

Keep in mind, many analysts have predicted around 11M - 11.5M for Panarin (outside of Florida).

Edited by Neb00rs
  • Like 1

Panarin is good. But is he good enough to put the Devils over the top at 12 mill a year?

If you could tell me that Hughes, Smith and Boqvist will develop overnight, Hall remains healthy and MVP caliber, Hischier's arrow continues to point up, plus other factors...........

I'd be all for signing Panarin.

But how much of what I mentioned will work out for the Devils?