2019 Offseason Thread

Daniel

Panarin at 12m... you know what... I'd do it. Why?

Cause he's a "free asset". We've been really low on assets for quite a bit. He'd definitely help the team. If we get to a point where we can't afford everyone. We can just trade someone for assets. Good way to not skip a beat and gain assets in the process. Even if you don't get a great return.. you still get something, which is better than nothing.

I mean... that's exactly what the Rangers would do anyway

Edited by SterioDesign

7 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Cause he's a "free asset". We've been really low on assets for quite a bit. He'd definitely help the team. If we get to a point where we can't afford everyone. We can just trade someone for assets. Good way to not skip a beat and gain assets in the process. Even if you don't get a great return.. you still get something, which is better than nothing.

Part of me wants to know what Hall is doing first, but part of me also says, if I had to choose between the two, I’m not sure I would choose Hall. 

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Part of me wants to know what Hall is doing first, but part of me also says, if I had to choose between the two, I’m not sure I would choose Hall. 

yeah for sure... and then you can't really give less to hall... 

also. Panarin has been a total devils killer. So. Say he gets 90 pts with us... he's also not getting 10 pts against us. which is good

also i keep forgetting myself... but the cap may be... god knows... 5-6 millions extra by then. It will go up when seatle or wtv get the extension

Edited by SterioDesign

10 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

There's some truth to this. You kind of have to accept that you can't keep every good player and getting one in UFA means you'll likely eventually get assets for that player if they ever leave.

But you have to proceed with caution. First, if the player's contract has an NTC of any sort, it could make making that eventual trade a whole lot harder. Secondly, if the player degrades in any way you could actually end up having to dole out assets in order to get rid of the contract. 

Panarin is likely a player that will pan out throughout the course of his next contract. But he also is likely to want an NTC.

He could also get injured which complicates things. Any team that signs him needs to do so with a desire to see him in town throughout the course of the contract.

You just never know. 12M contracts are not ones you dole out carelessly because he's a "free asset." That's not good business.

8 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

You sure about that?

I was listening to Darren Dreger podcoast that he was in the NJ area. I can’t seem to find the link though.

Who knows what Ray has in store

Just now, Devils01 said:

I was listening to Darren Dreger podcoast that he was in the NJ area. I can’t seem to find the link though.

well that'd mean we'd sign him. We sure wouldnt trade for him at this point haha

8 hours ago, MB3 said:

There are actually people on this forum who wouldn’t want Patrick fvcking Laine on this team?

holy sh!t lol

I’d love Laine on the team, within reason..... $70 million over 7 years and Boqvist/Smith/whatever else Winnipeg would want isn’t ‘within reason’.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Devils01 said:

I do. He does not have trading for a guy who is an unrestricted free agent in 4 days in store. 

12 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Hard choice. Hall has injury concerns, but I doubt Panarin ever wins an MVP, or is capable of putting a team on his back the way Hall did. To make the choice even harder they’re the exact same age...

3 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

There's some truth to this. You kind of have to accept that you can't keep every good player and getting one in UFA means you'll likely eventually get assets for that player if they ever leave.

But you have to proceed with caution. First, if the player's contract has an NTC of any sort, it could make making that eventual trade a whole lot harder. Secondly, if the player degrades in any way you could actually end up having to dole out assets in order to get rid of the contract. 

Panarin is likely a player that will pan out throughout the course of his next contract. But he also is likely to want an NTC.

He could also get injured which complicates things. Any team that signs him needs to do so with a desire to see him in town throughout the course of the contract.

You just never know. 12M contracts are not ones you dole out carelessly because he's a "free asset." That's not good business.

for sure yeah. But there's no better setup to be a contender than having 2 guys in their prime (Hall, Panarin) and have 2 top of the line prospect on their entry level contract with Hischier, smith and Hughes.

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

I’d love Laine on the team, within reason..... $70 million over 7 years and Boqvist/Smith/ whatever else Winnipeg would want isn’t ‘within reason’.

If that were the cost (the trade, not the contract), I wouldn’t be interested. 

If they’ll do two AHL players plus two draft picks like Nashville...

Just now, Nicomo said:

Hard choice. Hall has injury concerns, but I doubt Panarin ever wins an MVP, or is capable of putting a team on his back the way Hall did. To make the choice even harder they’re the exact same age...

It’s the hardest decision I would ever have to make in my life.

;) 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Neb00rs said:

I guess this is part of the Rangers pitch... 

What's hilarious is that Panarin is a right-handed shot but he’s shown on a lefties body lololol

Great photoshoping job guyshi-res-54e90d045d8a1ac70a28b421fa9013af_crop_north.jpg.1cd299f71e9e1f4e380b31394e293cb0.jpg

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I do. He does not have trading for a guy who is an unrestricted free agent in 4 days in store. 

Then go be GM, cause clearly you’re not. Anyways we’ll see

Edited by Devils01

43 minutes ago, Devils01 said:

I’m feeling a Panarin to NJ trade. 

Panarin will be a Free Agent (FA) in few days so no need to trade for him. You usually trade for RFAs and signed players. However, some teams will try to trade for signing rights if they see a possibility that the FA player wants to join their organization and usually happens way before July 1st.

2 minutes ago, Anhkheg said:

Panarin will be a Free Agent (FA) in few days so no need to trade for him. You usually trade for RFAs and signed players. However, some teams will try to trade for signing rights if they see a possibility that the FA player wants to join their organization and usually happens way before July 1st.

Ya what I meant. Ray has pulled off some crazy sh!t in the passed he can get it done. Question is does he want to play in jersey probably not

Edited by Devils01

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

If that were the cost (the trade, not the contract), I wouldn’t be interested. 

If they’ll do two AHL players plus two draft picks like Nashville...

Yeah the contract on its own is fine, but when you combine it with having to give up prime assets.... forget it.

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah the contract on its own is fine, but when you combine it with having to give up prime assets.... forget it.

Of course, people were speculating that we’d need to include better assets in the Subban trade too. I don’t know what the actual cost for Laine would be. 

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Of course, people were speculating that we’d need to include better assets in the Subban trade too. I don’t know what the actual cost for Laine would be. 

Since Laine is much younger than Subban, and Winnipeg- while not in great cap shape- isn’t as desperate for cap room as Nashville was, the cost would definitely be more than what we gave up for Subban. Laine also doesn’t miss many games (physically miss them, anyway... the knock on him is he takes nights off).