2019 Offseason Thread

Daniel

7 hours ago, Daniel said:

If he is still about the same player he is now in three years (not an unreasonable bet to make) he can sign a new deal and make a lot more money when it’s all said and done.  In the meantime, even if the worst happens, he’s netted about 60 percent of what he’d get on a seven year deal in only 3 years.  

More than the 3 years/15m that was proposed??

8 hours ago, Neb00rs said:

Why would Panarin do that? 

I mean, purely theory here, but he could sign a shorter-term deal because when the new TV deal hits in a few years the cap's probably going to skyrocket.

He could probably get a much larger AAV in 3-4 years.

I'm sure it's been discussed already - probably on this thread - but I haven't been on the forum in a bit.  What UFAs does everyone think Shero might be targeting, or who would be the likeliest?  My gut tells me, after the sweet Subban robbery that we're maybe in it for the second tier guys, i.e. Dzingel, Donskoi, Nyquist, Connelly, etc.  who could slot into the top 6 or 9 in case a guy like Boqvist isn't ready to handle those minutes.  These guys seem like they'd come in much more affordable, but I could be wrong. 

Maybe Shero has something bigger in mind, although I can't really see him chasing the Bread Man, nor do UFA centers really make sense, and I'll believe in offer sheets when I see one.  There are also still trades on the table with cap-strapped teams like Vegas, Toronto, and so on as options.  What is everyone thinking?

I'm sure Ray is thinking of Greener's replacement this being his last year of current contract. . Also with Zajac. He has 2 years left at 5.7. Trav has "settled" in NJ and loves it here. It's home,

Although I wish we could make a play for Kadri. , we're looking so much better down the middle. Many will disagree, I think Zacha IS Travs replacement. 

Predictions for '19-20:  Who of the following will go deep & surprise  in regular camp in Sept. gut feeling will be on opening night roster

Boquist/Zetterland/Bastian/Studenic/McCleod. 

I think Studenic (had very good WC w/ Slovakia) & Bastian (only if Devils don't bring in Ferland or a Simmons type)

59 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I mean, purely theory here, but he could sign a shorter-term deal because when the new TV deal hits in a few years the cap's probably going to skyrocket.

He could probably get a much larger AAV in 3-4 years.

Again- if he gets seriously injured, kiss that goodbye. It’s never happening. 

5 minutes ago, nessus said:

I could see the Devils having interest in Wayne Simmonds. I know he isn't well liked around here, but he'll add some toughness that Shero seems to be looking for, and he can score goals.

He USED to be able to score goals.

He's done-zo imo.  He's slow, he's old, he's.. the exact type of player the Devils are trying to avoid.

And some stupid GM is going to offer him 7x5 this offseason.

7 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Again- if he gets seriously injured, kiss that goodbye. It’s never happening. 

Fair, there's definitely risk for the player in this scenario.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

I'm sure Ray is thinking of Greener's replacement this being his last year of current contract. . Also with Zajac. He has 2 years left at 5.7. Trav has "settled" in NJ and loves it here. It's home,

Although I wish we could make a play for Kadri. , we're looking so much better down the middle. Many will disagree, I think Zacha IS Travs replacement. 

Vatanen's last year too.  However, not sure there exists a worthwhile D on the UFA list that will be worth the projected money.  I'd probably wait it out and see how the year goes, and then bring in more D next UFA period if something better exists.  Unless you think throwing 50m at Jake Gardiner would make sense.

56 minutes ago, Sharifijanov2099 said:

I'm sure it's been discussed already - probably on this thread - but I haven't been on the forum in a bit.  What UFAs does everyone think Shero might be targeting, or who would be the likeliest?  My gut tells me, after the sweet Subban robbery that we're maybe in it for the second tier guys, i.e. Dzingel, Donskoi, Nyquist, Connelly, etc.  who could slot into the top 6 or 9 in case a guy like Boqvist isn't ready to handle those minutes.  These guys seem like they'd come in much more affordable, but I could be wrong. 

Maybe Shero has something bigger in mind, although I can't really see him chasing the Bread Man, nor do UFA centers really make sense, and I'll believe in offer sheets when I see one.  There are also still trades on the table with cap-strapped teams like Vegas, Toronto, and so on as options.  What is everyone thinking?

Ferland is kind of an interesting option, but seems like a CC of Miles Wood, so not sure if NJ would be interested.  Patty Maroon would be well received, but I dunno if a 30 point winger would be worth the UFA cost.  Mojo is out there too, but he'll be seeking 5m probably which is perhaps not worth it.  I'd go for a LW if I were NJ, Dzingel maybe #1 target.

7 minutes ago, Sharifijanov2099 said:

Vatanen's last year too.  However, not sure there exists a worthwhile D on the UFA list that will be worth the projected money.  I'd probably wait it out and see how the year goes, and then bring in more D next UFA period if something better exists.  Unless you think throwing 50m at Jake Gardiner would make sense.

Both Vatanen and Greene should be moved at the trade deadline if we''re out of it. We are definitely going to need some replacements, and soon. I imagine Vatanen is going to want a ton of money, and personally I don't think I bring Greene back, its time to move forward from him, even if he's not done playing. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ajsgolf said:

If the Devils tried for Panarin...I know that’s a huge if, but if they did, what would you say is an acceptable contract without getting too strapped to sign current guys to extended contracts?

I just don't think they're in on it - not on the list of teams being discussed in the media (FLA, NYI, NYR, etc.).  You also run into a Kovalchuk vs. Parise scenario if you sign Bread Man to some 12mx7 deal which is what he's gonna demand.  He is insanely good, but I don't think NJ will be in this one.

Just now, Sharifijanov2099 said:

If Panarin signs with NYI, Anders Lee will be available.  He's a few years older so not sure what that would look like.  I wouldn't wanna go 7 years on Lee who I believe is turning 29.  5 years I would do.  

You might have to be willing to go for 7 if you want him. I don't think he's going to sign a 5 year deal. 

10 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

You might have to be willing to go for 7 if you want him. I don't think he's going to sign a 5 year deal. 

Oh, absolutely right.  I'm just saying if that's what he wants, not sure I'd do it.  Every UFA is gonna ask for the 7 years, see what the offers are, and pick the best one.  If Lee is interested in staying in the local area (which he may not care about), maybe NJ could offer a little more dime on the 5 year term and see what he says.  But you're right.  I wouldn't bet on getting any UFA signed unless willing to go to the 7 year term and offering very competitive money, which is why UFA signings don't always work out too well for teams.  Day 1 signings can be notoriously bad.  You can get some value if you wait for prices to decline on Day 2 and on, but it's a game of chicken if you have pressing roster needs.

6 minutes ago, Sharifijanov2099 said:

Oh, absolutely right.  I'm just saying if that's what he wants, not sure I'd do it.  Every UFA is gonna ask for the 7 years, see what the offers are, and pick the best one.  If Lee is interested in staying in the local area (which he may not care about), maybe NJ could offer a little more dime on the 5 year term and see what he says.  But you're right.  I wouldn't bet on getting any UFA signed unless willing to go to the 7 year term and offering very competitive money, which is why UFA signings don't always work out too well for teams.  Day 1 signings can be notoriously bad.  You can get some value if you wait for prices to decline on Day 2 and on, but it's a game of chicken if you have pressing roster needs.

Especially a UFA who is 29. The last thing in the world he wants is to be back out there at age 34 looking for another deal when he could've locked in those last two years.

It seems like there's always a team willing to do it, even though you know the end of the deal may not be great. But that's the cost of doing business, in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, nessus said:

I could see the Devils having interest in Wayne Simmonds. I know he isn't well liked around here, but he'll add some toughness that Shero seems to be looking for, and he can score goals.

A few years ago, I'd take Simmonds, I just don't think his production is where it used to be nor worth the overpayment. That being said, he's a pain in the ass and is really good at that.

I'd go for Lee cause I have a feeling Lou is going to drop the ball on this one, yet again. Of course, though, as I post this, I'm sure someone will break news that the two sides are close to a deal and make me look like a jackass.

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Especially a UFA who is 29. The last thing in the world he wants is to be back out there at age 34 looking for another deal when he could've locked in those last two years.

It seems like there's always a team willing to do it, even though you know the end of the deal may not be great. But that's the cost of doing business, in my opinion. 

Yeah, right again on all points.  I guess it depends on the money.  If you're willing to have a 36 year old Anders Lee on your cap, which maybe teams are, the number has to be right.  He scored nearly 30 goals last year.  I think Lee is gonna command 7.5.  But if you're going 7 years, might wanna come in at 6.5.  Another option for NJ is to trade for Jason Zucker who seems undervalued but the team is not giving him away for nothing.  Maybe trade Miles Wood for Zucker who makes less, then go out and sign Ferland to replace Wood.  Just spit-ballin'.  Lots of options on the table.  Excited to see what Shero does.  

Admittedly, I'm at that point where most get to during the week before Super Bowl...enough speculating and analysis...let's just play the damn game! 

Part of me has been thinking that Shero might have already made one big move with Subban, and will make one more with re-upping Hall.  I could see him wanting to see what Bratt could offer over a full season (healthy), and also Boqvist...see if Wood can have a better year in Year 2 of his deal, or if Zacha is finally able to put it together, etc.  Basically try to keep costs down one more year, with some RFA contracts to be coming.  Only catch is if Shero did want to explore UFA after 2020, it doesn't look to be a particularly strong class...so maybe he does dip his feet in this year. 

If there's one thing about Shero, so far he's made moves that we rarely see coming.  Palms, Hall, MoJo, Butcher, now Subban...whatever he does next, I get the feeling we'll be in full "Huh what?" mode.  In ways that's why I find it hard to speculate too much about what moves he'll make...because in the end, it will probably be something that NONE of us would've expected.  Which is a big reason why I just want to play the damn game already. 

• Like 1