2019 Offseason Thread

Daniel

19 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Admittedly, I'm at that point where most get to during the week before Super Bowl...enough speculating and analysis...let's just play the damn game! 

Part of me has been thinking that Shero might have already made one big move with Subban, and will make one more with re-upping Hall.  I could see him wanting to see what Bratt could offer over a full season (healthy), and also Boqvist...see if Wood can have a better year in Year 2 of his deal, or if Zacha is finally able to put it together, etc.  Basically try to keep costs down one more year, with some RFA contracts to be coming.  Only catch is if Shero did want to explore UFA after 2020, it doesn't look to be a particularly strong class...so maybe he does dip his feet in this year. 

If there's one thing about Shero, so far he's made moves that we rarely see coming.  Palms, Hall, MoJo, Butcher, now Subban...whatever he does next, I get the feeling we'll be in full "Huh what?" mode.  In ways that's why I find it hard to speculate too much about what moves he'll make...because in the end, it will probably be something that NONE of us would've expected.  Which is a big reason why I just want to play the damn game already. 

I also wonder if Shero locks up Nico this year too, seeing as he's entering the final year of his deal.

I also do think Ray is going to land someone of value this summer on Monday. Mid-6 forward with the ability to jump to the first line if needed and can also be a shut down , but primarily will be our spot taker on the second line. I'm not gonna label it as him "going for it" but I really do think he's out to prove to Hall that two years ago wasn't a fluke and the regression last year was more of a bump in the road/unfortunate circumstances.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Admittedly, I'm at that point where most get to during the week before Super Bowl...enough speculating and analysis...let's just play the damn game! 

Part of me has been thinking that Shero might have already made one big move with Subban, and will make one more with re-upping Hall.  I could see him wanting to see what Bratt could offer over a full season (healthy), and also Boqvist...see if Wood can have a better year in Year 2 of his deal, or if Zacha is finally able to put it together, etc.  Basically try to keep costs down one more year, with some RFA contracts to be coming.  Only catch is if Shero did want to explore UFA after 2020, it doesn't look to be a particularly strong class...so maybe he does dip his feet in this year. 

If there's one thing about Shero, so far he's made moves that we rarely see coming.  Palms, Hall, MoJo, Butcher, now Subban...whatever he does next, I get the feeling we'll be in full "Huh what?" mode.  In ways that's why I find it hard to speculate too much about what moves he'll make...because in the end, it will probably be something that NONE of us would've expected.  Which is a big reason why I just want to play the damn game already. 

Agreed. Enough is enough. Let’s go already lol.

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Part of me has been thinking that Shero might have already made one big move with Subban, and will make one more with re-upping Hall. 

That's kind of where I am at. Add in having the #1 draft pick, and that's a pretty fvcking good offseason. 

51 minutes ago, jagknife said:

I also wonder if Shero locks up Nico this year too, seeing as he's entering the final year of his deal.

Funny, with all the Hall talk, this hasn't even really been on the radar. I would most certainly do that. What number does Nico command based on his performance thus far and his potential? 

• Like 2

Just now, mfitz804 said:

That's kind of where I am at. Add in having the #1 draft pick, and that's a pretty fvcking good offseason. 

Funny, with all the Hall talk, this hasn't even really been on the radar. I would most certainly do that. What number does Nico command based on his performance thus far and his potential? 

I'm thinking $5m-6m? Almost a Zajac-esq deal until the final year of his RFA, full NMC to add to it. I'm still not well versed in RFA lengths and this time slow internet prevents me from doing the research instead of my laziness.

4 hours ago, Lateralous said:

Watching that, it kind of pisses you off that he doesn’t shoot more.  

One thing that I hope they worked on with Zacha was helping him release his shot quicker. He's got a really good shot but it feels like it takes him too long to get it off his stick. When he has time it's an NHL shot for sure

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Its tough to say, most likely somewhere around 5 mill average as we are paying him on what he "may" bring in the future.

Going into this season, we still have a few spots to fill.

Hall-Hischier-Palmieri
Bratt-Hughes-???
Wood-Zacha-???
Coleman-Zajac-???
Rooney/???

Greene-Subban
Smith-Vatanen
Butcher-Severson
Mueller

Shero may leave some spots to be filled by up and coming players, but we definitely need to fill 1 RW spot. I haven't heard Shero's name anywhere going after any FAs or RFAs, then again who knew about Subban. Don't be bummed if Shero doesnt make any further moves, while there may options out there, it simply may not be worth sacrificing cap space.

1 minute ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I'm thinking you go 7.5 x 8 years and call it a day with Nico.

Who was the last #1 overall pick to not sign a max term extension after his ELC?

Austin Matthews about 6 months ago?   I think that changed things and all of the young guys are looking more in the 5 year range 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MB3 said:

The hall talk and Nico talk is different because Nico’s a UFA. I have zero concerns about him. 

If he was signing his deal today I’d guess he signs at 6 per. 

Well yeah, it should be different, but honestly until that post I had not even thought about a Nico extension whatsoever. I don't have any concerns about him either, it just surprised me that with all the crap discussed here, a Nico extension really never came up. 

2 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I'm thinking you go 7.5 x 8 years and call it a day with Nico.

I feel like its high but not offensive. $6.5m/8 sounds better to me, but I think if you want the term instead of 5 years like @Lateralous said, you might have to dig a little deeper. 

46 minutes ago, Anhkheg said:

Its tough to say, most likely somewhere around 5 mill average as we are paying him on what he "may" bring in the future.

Going into this season, we still have a few spots to fill.

Hall-Hischier-Palmieri
Bratt-Hughes-???
Wood-Zacha-???
Coleman-Zajac-???
Rooney/???

Greene-Subban
Smith-Vatanen
Butcher-Severson
Mueller

Shero may leave some spots to be filled by up and coming players, but we definitely need to fill 1 RW spot. I haven't heard Shero's name anywhere going after any FAs or RFAs, then again who knew about Subban. Don't be bummed if Shero doesnt make any further moves, while there may options out there, it simply may not be worth sacrificing cap space.

I would think Anderson is going to be in one of those 3rd or 4th line RW slots. He was showing some promise before his injury last year

52 minutes ago, Anhkheg said:

Hall-Hischier-Palmieri
Bratt-Hughes-???
Wood-Zacha-???
Coleman-Zajac-???
Rooney/???

Greene-Subban
Smith-Vatanen
Butcher-Severson
Mueller

Wait, what, we have ONE right wing?

Someone get me Drew Stafford's phone number...

Right now I like:

Hall. Nico. Bratt

Boqvist. Hughes. Palms

Coleman. Zajac. Anderson (great shutdown line that can also score)

Wood. Zacha. McLeod (what a fourth line this would be. Speed and size that will lead to a lot of face offs in the Offensive zone)

Just now, devlman said:

Right now I like:

Hall. Nico. Bratt

Boqvist. Hughes. Palms

Coleman. Zajac. Anderson (great shutdown line that can also score)

Wood. Zacha. McLeod (what a fourth line this would be. Speed and size that will lead to a lot of face offs in the Offensive zone)

That sounds about right. I will, of course, like to see Hall and Hughes together to see what they look like together. 

And that 4th line, we know how I feel about Zacha, and he's not going to be any better playing with McLeod. 

Just now, mfitz804 said:

Wait, what, we have ONE right wing?

Someone get me Drew Stafford's phone number...

All of the Devils RWs who played last season, not named Pamieri (with GP in parenthesis):

Stafford (57...the fact that he was second in GP for a RW last season kinda says it all...eeeeeewwwwww)

Noesen (41)

Anderson (34)

Gabriel (22)

Lappin (11)

Bastian (7)

Yeah, for now, gotta think Anderson and Bastian will be the only ones even considered for a spot on the 2019-20 Devils. 

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

That sounds about right. I will, of course, like to see Hall and Hughes together to see what they look like together. 

And that 4th line, we know how I feel about Zacha, and he's not going to be any better playing with McLeod. 

Just with maturity and gaining another year experience should help him be a good fourth line guy. He’s best when there’s no pressure on him to produce (which I think will help McLeod too). Zacha is also good w Miles.

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

All of the Devils RWs who played last season, not named Pamieri (with GP in parenthesis):

Stafford (57...the fact that he was second in GP for a RW last season kinda says it all...eeeeeewwwwww)

Noesen (41)

Anderson (34)

Gabriel (22)

Lappin (11)

Bastian (7)

Yeah, for now, gotta think Anderson and Bastian will be the only ones even considered for a spot on the 2019-20 Devils. 

I hope so, anyway. I had enough of Gabriel, Stafford and Noesen. Lappin can be a fill-in who comes up from the AHL when someone's hurt.

1 minute ago, devlman said:

Just with maturity and gaining another year experience should help him be a good fourth line guy. He’s best when there’s no pressure on him to produce (which I think will help McLeod too). Zacha is also good w Miles.

It certainly makes sense in theory, to the extent that your 4th line should have a #6OA and #12OA on either side. 

I know, I know, that ship has long ago sailed. 

Just now, mfitz804 said:

It certainly makes sense in theory, to the extent that your 4th line should have a #6OA and #12OA on either side. 

I know, I know, that ship has long ago sailed. 

Yeah but gotta make lemonade out of lemons or however the fkng saying goes 

Just now, mfitz804 said:

I hope so, anyway. I had enough of Gabriel, Stafford and Noesen. Lappin can be a fill-in who comes up from the AHL when someone's hurt.

Yeah, I get keeping Lappin around as a sub...only thing that sucks about him is he's another Q...you know when he comes up, he's little more than a warm body, who isn't going to give you much of anything (simply not a NHLer)...but he really only gets called up in case of emergency. 

And yeah, the other three you referred to, soyonara.  Though oddly my daughter took an odd sort of liking to Gabriel, mostly because I think she found him kind of funny in a really stupid kind of way. 

22 hours ago, MB3 said:

There are actually people on this forum who wouldn’t want Patrick fvcking Laine on this team?

holy sh!t lol

This roster has no holes in it apparently, especially for a stiff like Laine to fill.

I had no ides what the stats said about Nico away from the puck but when I looked they were just ok to be.  I don't think the are above reproach. 

.7 hits per game

FO winning percentage is below 50%

.5 blocks

.62 take aways

.4 Give aways

The kid can and will hopefully continue to improve.