2019 Offseason Thread

Daniel

9 hours ago, Anhkheg said:

Then expect us to get hamstrung. In five years all of us will be complaining about this contract. Hope Shero does not give him an NMC or NTC because we'll be in cap trouble in 3-4 years time. If Hall was 23-25, then absolutely, but he'll be 28 when he signs this and no where near his current price tag 5 years from signing. The better option is to trade him before the trade deadline and get some high picks and prospects. As a matter of fact, a potential trade could involve Marner whom we can definitely sign for 7y@10m.

Keep in mind the cap will go up over that time....

16 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Now's the time where Ray has to make good assessments on what type of player guys like Bratt, Butcher and Zacha are eventually going to round into and possibly lock them up on long term bargain contracts.   How brilliant do some of those contracts Poile handed out to guys like Josi, Arvidsson and Ekholm right before they broke out look now?   

My guess is Zacha gets a 1-2 year show-me contract. The other 2 you mention I think get locked up longer 

1 hour ago, Devils01 said:

Is he really worth over 12 mil ....

2E62984F-875E-4292-BB43-704734AFBFD0.png

There seems to be a trend with players seeking out shorter term deals that will pay off even more when the cap is expected to rise sharply when the new tv contract comes into effect.  The Devils can do a three year ridiculous high  AAV deal, and Panarin would be well advised to consider it.

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Keep in mind the cap will go up over that time....

So will player contracts. There's a positive correlation there - it's not completely proportional, but enough that it's not like all teams are just going to slide in under the cap easily in a few years.

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

The only way we’re in cap trouble in three years with Hall still here is if Ty Smith turns out to be better than we all expected, but that’s in the category of good problems to have.

Yeah, likely to be true even if Smith is elite for two reasons: 1. Half the current team will have their contracts expire in that timeframe including Subban and Schneider coming off after that third year so the Devils will have every opportunity to be in good cap position by the time they need to re-sign Hughes and Smith and 2. Hall's new contract will only result in, at most, a 5m decrease in our cap space from where we are now. From the talk on this board, it almost sounds like people think Hall's new contract is going to be a full 10.5 - 11M additional albatross on our cap space. But we're already paying him 6M in cap, that's already factored in.  His new contract isn't going to hurt that bad.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

There’s a new TV deal coming in three years that is expected to be pretty big.

I saw one of the big writers (Bobby Mac, Dreger, et al) can’t remember who but they said one thing they think the NHL will explore with the next TV deal is having a second network involved. Like ESPN or Fox Sports, getting a percentage of the games in addition to NBC.

As long as Melrose isn’t in the box, i’ll be perfectly fine with someone giving NBC competition. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jagknife said:

I saw one of the big writers (Bobby Mac, Dreger, et al) can’t remember who but they said one thing they think the NHL will explore with the next TV deal is having a second network involved. Like ESPN or Fox Sports, getting a percentage of the games in addition to NBC.

As long as Melrose isn’t in the box, i’ll be perfectly fine with someone giving NBC competition. 

Would be cool to get Gary Thorne back doing PBP.

• Like 2

FA opens up July 1st. Are FA allowed to talk to teams about term and money before then, but just not sign? I thought until July 1st they are still considered under contract with the last team that had them under contract. How is it that Panarin is meeting with teams, dollars and term are being rumored, and it is June 29th. Does the league just not give a sh!t about enforcing this?

10 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

FA opens up July 1st. Are FA allowed to talk to teams about term and money before then, but just not sign? I thought until July 1st they are still considered under contract with the last team that had them under contract. How is it that Panarin is meeting with teams, dollars and term are being rumored, and it is June 29th. Does the league just not give a sh!t about enforcing this?

You can meet with teams, but not discuss a contract, for a week before. 

18 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

i mean... unless there's a someone from the league at the meeting as a neutral party. how is this possible that they don't discuss money a bit. i mean...

20 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I mean, technically.

But GMs are probably like "hypothetically, we'd consider an offer between X and Y for a player of your Calibur. Hypothetically".

59 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Can't help but feel Panarin is going to fvck up our situation with Hall.

If some doofus signs him to 12M+, you can bet your ass Hall will be looking for at least that much.

Not to nitpick but players don't look for cap hits. They look for "X" amount of total salary over "X" timeframe and want as much of the total salary as early as possible. There's not a lot of reason that Hall shouldn't get similar value to Panarin but where the Devils might be able to limit Hall's cap hit just a bit is with that eighth year which Panarin can't get outside of Columbus.

For example, John Tavares signed a 77M/7 year contract with the Leafs resulting in an 11M cap hit. Being that Tavares was already in his late twenties when he signed,iIf Toronto could have offered that eighth year maybe they convince him to do 85/8 which would be a 10.625M cap hit. I'm hoping for something like that with Hall.  Even 87M/8 is a sub 11M cap hit. 

If any contract didn't help the team side of the market, it would be the Karlsson one and even his cap hit is only 11.5M.

Edited by Neb00rs
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Do not want a UFA winger at 12+.   That is all 

If he has 5 years left of his prime in that 8 year deal is it still not worth it? He pushes 80-90pts a season. I also don't want to pay him 12+ but with Hall up in the air I'd at least like to be sure-- especially if he wants to walk to a division rival. 

1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

59 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

i mean... unless there's a someone from the league at the meeting as a neutral party. how is this possible that they don't discuss money a bit. i mean...

57 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I mean, technically.

But GMs are probably like "hypothetically, we'd consider an offer between X and Y for a player of your Calibur. Hypothetically".

This is how it works:

The CBA doesn't actually lay out the rules for the free agency signing period, it only mandates it as part of the league schedule. It lays out the dates for the period "Day after the Entry Draft (but not later than June 25) until June 30" and then just says, "Unrestricted Free Agents may meet and interview with potential new Clubs, but may not sign new SPCs until the opening of RFA/UFA Signing Period."

The rules that dictate this "period" are somewhat informally laid out and as far as I know, not shared directly with the public. In 2013 after the CBA was signed, the league/Gary Bettman apparently sent out a memo to teams bluntly stating that teams can't discuss contract details during the free agency period - I assume this was something agreed to by both the NHLPA and the NHL. Obviously, this caused a lot of uproar around the league given the vague blanket restriction here.

So, the next offseason the league sent a new memo stating the following,

"Clubs are permitted to discuss their potential interest in, as well as the general parameters of, a potential future contractual relationship with another Club’s pending RFA or UFA during the applicable ‘interview periods,’ but Clubs may not enter into any agreements, or make any binding offers, promises, undertakings, representations, commitments, inducements, assurances of intent, or understandings of any kind, express or implied, oral or written, concerning the terms of a potential SPC with another Club’s pending RFA or UFA."

So Devilsfan118 has it most right here. Teams basically just can't write out a contract but they can tell players what they're thinking and see what the player is looking for.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/how-nhl-interview-period-improves-free-agency/

Edited by Neb00rs
  • Thanks 1