2019 Offseason Thread

Daniel

I didn't pay much attention to the first few hours of free agency this year. I took one look at the list of UFAs and was like, "Ray isn't going to do anything too crazy here." And that's a good thing - I think a lot of us, myself included have an urge to hope something happens for the Devils on July 1st just for the sake of something to talk about. But if Shero was going to do something big, it wasn't necessarily going to be today - today is just the day UFAs go to market. CR76 has said it a few times - I'd be okay going into the season where we are now and if Ray is going to make any major splash, it'll probably be for a player no one is expecting, in a trade or whatnot.

Just now, Devilsfan118 said:

Bob McKenzie says we're primed to offer sheet someone.

Now I'm getting psyched.  DO IT RAY!!

When did he say that?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

the only thing MTL would be paying 21m in signing bonuses over the first 12 months. Not something Carolina can do that easily compared to MTL

If there's one way that big market teams can fight back against teams in tax free states, it's this. Montreal can afford to basically pay anything up front. Carolina definitely cannot. But they'll match that sheet I imagine.

2 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Guys, with all the talking heads on TSN pumping our tires, I'm REALLY hoping Ray pulls the trigger and goes all out for Marner....

I sort of feel like that might happen now, but I still don't get why it's a good idea.  I mean obviously it gets us a huge player, and I understand that we have the money, but giving up the required picks/assets to do so...there's so few players I feel that are worth that.  What exactly would it cost us again? I don't remember. 

• Like 1

Thinking logically, If I'm Ray and I believe a Marner or Point is the last piece we need to be a playoff team if not a contender, I throw my offersheet to said player as soon as possible now. Don't give Carolina time to match, as once htey do [if they do], Montreal will almost certainly dive back into the market.

1 minute ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I sort of feel like that might happen now, but I still don't get why it's a good idea.  I mean obviously it gets us a huge player, and I understand that we have the money, but giving up the required picks/assets to do so...there's so few players I feel that are worth that.  What exactly would it cost us again? I don't remember. 

Realistically? 4 first round picks

But If I'm making that kind of move, I firmly believe those picks wont bring anything of value back cause we'll be a playoff team for the next four years, and hopefully a contending one at that