2019 Offseason Thread

Daniel

Just now, jagknife said:

Realistically? 4 first round picks

But If I'm making that kind of move, I firmly believe those picks wont bring anything of value back cause we'll be a playoff team for the next four years, and hopefully a contending one at that

I dunno, everyone always gets so hung up on the top 10 picks of the first round being the only good players in any given draft worth a damn.  It's the most likely, but lots of good players come from picks 11-31.  Hell, plenty of good picks come in rounds 2-7.  4 1sts is a hell of a lot to give up.  I dunno. I'd love Marner, or Point, or Rantanen, but I don't think I'd do that. 

Just now, NJDfan1711 said:

I dunno, everyone always gets so hung up on the top 10 picks of the first round being the only good players in any given draft worth a damn.  It's the most likely, but lots of good players come from picks 11-31.  Hell, plenty of good picks come in rounds 2-7.  4 1sts is a hell of a lot to give up.  I dunno. I'd love Marner, or Point, or Rantanen, but I don't think I'd do that. 

I agree, I go upto 10.5m @ 7y for these guys, but we dont have our 2020 2nd rounder.

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I'd offer Rantanen what they offered Ahole. 

Dont mess with the Avs, knowing Sakic, they will be reaching for the floor every year and offer sheeting us. They have McKinnon and Landeskog signed cheap.

Waddell is surprised it wasn't more. Guess Waddell wants 4 1st rounders.

Edited by Anhkheg

1 minute ago, Lateralous said:

I would be all for an offer sheet if their were a top end D-man out there.   Don't see the need to give up top salary and 4 1sts for another C or a wing.    

Well we keep worrying about Hall leaving. An offer sheet to one of the above mentioned players locks that player in for, say, five years

2 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Don’t get me wrong, I’m in no way trying to trivialize giving up first round picks. But we all know prospects are hit or miss. Any of the above mentioned players are proven, however. They immediately skyrocket our team for the time period when the picks would be to further stock the cupboard

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, devlman said:

Wish we offer sheeted Aho. He’s just agreed to MTL. Surprised he did because that’s a bargain for a player of his quality.

MTL isn't going to get him. They talked an 83 point player into signing an 8.5M AAV contract by offering him up front money. Carolina won't pay that initial cash easily but in the long run, this contract is a pretty good for them - they might have re-signed him for more total money otherwise lol. 

Edited by Neb00rs

While im usually reaaally concersative because of how stripped we were of assets....

we have to convince Hall... we have PK Subban for 3 years, we have Hughes, Smith and Nico cheap for another 3-4 years... our first real window to be contenders would be within the next 2-3 years... so it's not the worst gamble to say fvck it and offer sheet marner sacrificing 4st.... obviously it's horrible if something go wrong... but it might be the only way to really have a mix of top talent in their prime and our top younsters on a cheap deal... if we keep hall and sign all the kids to big contracts we'll lose a lot of depth.

So... its a matter if we think the next 4 rounders will be late picks or top 10 picks.. 

2 minutes ago, Anhkheg said:

Dont mess with the Avs, knowing Sakic, they will be reaching for the floor every year and offer sheeting us. They have McKinnon and Landeskog signed cheap.

i kind of just wanted to call Aho "Ahole".

• Haha 3

I don't get the whole "convincing Hall to stay" thing to the degree that people are talking about it.  He has to have reasons to want to stay, of course, but we can only do so much, and the team we have now is a lot more attractive than the team when he signed 3 years ago.  If what we have now doesn't interest you to stay/re-sign...Nico, Hughes, Smith, Subban, and it's not like the rest of the crew in Simmons, Zajac, Coleman, Severson, Vatanen are slouches either.... then pack your fvcking sh!t and shut the door on your way out.

• Like 2

Canadiens messed this one up, they should've offered at least 9.5m, Ahole is worth the extra 1st rounder.

2 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I don't get the whole "convincing Hall to stay" thing to the degree that people are talking about it.  He has to have reasons to want to stay, of course, but we can only do so much, and the team we have now is a lot more attractive than the team when he signed 3 years ago.  If what we have now doesn't interest you to stay/re-sign...Nico, Hughes, Smith, Subban, and it's not like the rest of the crew in Simmons, Zajac, Coleman, Severson, Vatanen are slouches either.... then pack your fvcking sh!t and shut the door on your way out.

And also accept 7y@8m :D :D

Edited by Anhkheg

5 minutes ago, Anhkheg said:

Canadiens messed this one up, they should've offered at least 9.5m, Ahole is worth the extra 1st rounder.

Ya. The whole point of an offer sheet is you offer the maximum value to the player to try and make it so the player's team can't match. And you take the greater loss of picks at the higher price point. Basically, if you're going to offer sheet, you always go full offer sheet, never half offer sheet. 

I guess Montreal was deluded enough to hope the up front money would handcuff the Hurricanes but that's ridiculous - it handcuffs their real cash, not their cap. They'll mortgage the stadium if they have to, they're keeping the player.