2019 Offseason Thread

Daniel

1 minute ago, Neb00rs said:

The Rangers have 8.77M left in cap space to sign Jacob Trouba, Brendan Lemieux, Pavel Buchnevich, Anthony Deangelo, and give Gregg McKegg whatever he got. They're going to need to get rid of someone and they have a host of names that could be candidates to be shipped out. Lots of 3M+ AAV contracts with 1-2 years remaining. 

There's a lot of moves for Shero to make. These are the teams in near cap trouble, including the Rangers as well.

Vegas Golden Knights2037/50$84,174,999$0

Pittsburgh Penguins2144/50$79,907,500$1,592,500

Arizona Coyotes2041/50$79,788,568$1,711,432

Dallas Stars2146/50$79,029,999$2,470,001

Edmonton Oilers2246/50$77,566,999$3,933,001

Washington Capitals2039/50$77,214,294$4,285,706

Florida Panthers1829/50$76,685,794$4,814,206

Nashville Predators2243/50$76,308,332$5,191,668

Detroit Red Wings2143/50$76,165,377$5,334,623

Chicago Blackhawks2042/50$75,463,461$6,036,539

San Jose Sharks1739/50$73,617,417$7,882,583

Tampa Bay Lightning1939/50$73,573,331$7,926,669

Toronto Maple Leafs2344/50$72,934,699$8,565,301

Just now, Anhkheg said:

There's a lot of moves for Shero to make. These are the teams in near cap trouble, including the Rangers as well.

It would be very Ray-like to sit back, let the chips fall into place and then use that remaining abundance of cap space to steal another player.

4 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

It would be very Ray-like to sit back, let the chips fall into place and then use that remaining abundance of cap space to steal another player.

Agreed. Shero, I said it before the Subban trade, is a patient GM, he waits for the fruit to ripen before plucking it from the tree. I am still flummoxed at the Simmonds signing but want to know what he was thinking.

Edited by Anhkheg

4 minutes ago, Anhkheg said:

Agreed. Shero, I said it before the Subban trade, is a patient GM, he waits for the fruit to ripen before plucking it from the tree. I am still flummoxed at the Simmonds signing but want to know what he was thinking.

Simmonds is only 30 and had one down year. We have the space. Give the guy a chance!

10 minutes ago, Derlique said:

Does Winnipeg match at 5 year, 6.2 million dollar offer sheet for Kyle Connor? Compensation is a first and a third

If they don’t match anyone, it seems like it would be Laine.  Sounds as if they’ve really soured on him.  

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

If they don’t match anyone, it seems like it would be Laine.  Sounds as if they’ve really soured on him.  

So.. what's the number, in your opinion?

Keep in mind we don't have our 2nd round pick.  So any compensation involving that pick is automatically out of the question.

Just now, Derlique said:

Laine will command a much higher AAV, thus taking us out of the running because we don't have our second

i believe you can have a 5 years window where you give 4 picks if you do not have one of them. i think i read that somewhere

Just now, SterioDesign said:

i believe you can have a 5 years window where you give 4 picks if you do not have one of them. i think i read that somewhere

That's only if you're going to the top tier of RFA signings, where four 1sts is the compensation

4 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Would also like to know when you have to decide which pick you’re keeping.  

6 minutes ago, Derlique said:

Laine will command a much higher AAV, thus taking us out of the running because we don't have our second

The Jets are matching anything in the range of picks 1, 2 and 3 for both players.  That level above it, maybe not.

If Ray were serious about anything other than the four first round pick offersheet, he would have put something else in the Subban deal.  

17 minutes ago, CarpathianForest said:

Ray should offer sheet Trouba just to be a nose

Unless we got our 2nd back from Nsh, the only offers we could tender are sub 6.3m per year (costs 1st and 3rd) or above 10.5m (4x1sts). The former helps the Rangers and latter hurts us too much.

43 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Would also like to know when you have to decide which pick you’re keeping.  

You don't decide. I believe, you pay the compensation as the picks are available. The five year window is if one year you don't have a draft pick already. If you have the picks in all five years, you lose the first four. 

7 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

You don't decide. I believe, you pay the compensation as the picks are available. The five year window is if one year you don't have a draft pick already. If you have the picks in all five years, you lose the first four. 

I believe they should fix the whole RFA approach (the 5 year rule, compensation structure, etc.), then the cap issues related to taxes and currency fluctuations. At the least state tax differences should be addressed, so it could mean different teams have different caps while leaving standard of living out. The taxes alone will complicate things enough.

Edited by Anhkheg

23 minutes ago, Anhkheg said:

I believe they should fix the whole RFA approach (the 5 year rule, compensation structure, etc.), then the cap issues related to taxes and currency fluctuations. At the least state tax differences should be addressed, so it could mean different teams have different caps while leaving standard of living out. The taxes alone will complicate things enough.

There is no real way to address the differences in taxes that doesn't penalize teams in high tax states and countries. It's enough that it ranges from states like Florida with no state income tax to states like California and NJ with high state income tax, but then you've got the difference in Canadian income tax systems from province to province. When you add in the fact that Canadian teams bring in revenue in CAD and have to payroll in USD (effectively, they actually pay in CAD adjusted to USD value) with all the fluctuations involved in that exchange this would be a nightmare for even a motivated league to solve. This isn't that motivated of a league to solve these particular problems. The salary cap system as it stands has brought teams within enough of a range of one another that it has alleviated most of the issues of teams declaring bankruptcy for the most part and the teams that are too weak even with the current system would remain too weak even if the tax and currency issues were fully addressed.

17 minutes ago, NewarkDevil5 said:

There is no real way to address the differences in taxes that doesn't penalize teams in high tax states and countries. It's enough that it ranges from states like Florida with no state income tax to states like California and NJ with high state income tax, but then you've got the difference in Canadian income tax systems from province to province. When you add in the fact that Canadian teams bring in revenue in CAD and have to payroll in USD (effectively, they actually pay in CAD adjusted to USD value) with all the fluctuations involved in that exchange this would be a nightmare for even a motivated league to solve. This isn't that motivated of a league to solve these particular problems. The salary cap system as it stands has brought teams within enough of a range of one another that it has alleviated most of the issues of teams declaring bankruptcy for the most part and the teams that are too weak even with the current system would remain too weak even if the tax and currency issues were fully addressed.

They could probably weight it if they wanted to. Which, you're right they probably don''t and as you say, league parity is pretty damn good. The real problem is that it's only one factor that makes your team more desireable for UFAs. Okay, maybe it's a significant factor, but if you account for it, you have to start accounting for everything else too. Should the league account for teams that are in big attractive cities like NYC or Chicago? Should the league account for teams that can offer more money up front because of higher revenues? Should the league account for team success, as that is probably one of the biggest UFA draws? No matter what, it's never going to be completely fair, and teams with less factors that contribute to the overall attractiveness of signing with them will always have more trouble luring players in. 

Ultimately, the hard cap and RFA system are good enough to make it so every team can put a good enough team together to win. I do think we've seen more stacked teams in TB, NSH, and DAL, than maybe we've seen before. But, clearly the disparity isn't so acute that those teams are shoo-ins to win the Cup.

Edited by Neb00rs