2019 Offseason Thread

Daniel

1 minute ago, Neb00rs said:

That's my point. I'd love an offer sheet to lock Marner at 11. The temptation to trade Nylander, which should already be on the table, would be just that much greater.

Yeah but they won’t trade him to the team that forces their hand by offer sheeting Marner, would they?

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Yeah but they won’t trade him to the team that forces their hand by offer sheeting Marner, would they?

What if instead of doing it you just make the threat? Trade us Nylander or we'll sheet Marner and then you'll lose any chance to bargain with another team.

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I don't want the Devils to offer sheet Marner. I've been clear on that from the beginning. I do want the Devils to get Nylander.

2 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

I don't want the Devils to offer sheet Marner. I've been clear on that from the beginning. I do want the Devils to get Nylander.

So then we leverage the price of Nylander down, which I’m sure everyone in the league will try to do once the off season really gets going?

5 minutes ago, jagknife said:

So then we leverage the price of Nylander down, which I’m sure everyone in the league will try to do once the off season really gets going?

To be clear, I'm simply saying it'd be hilarious if another team offer sheet Marner at 11M. No matter what the Leafs are in cap hell and Nylander is a tempting option to move.

5 minutes ago, MB3 said:

You’re dramatically underestimating Kadri’s value. 

I mean, not really. They win Kadri vs Kerfoot, though Kerfoot is the younger player and still good. And if there was a second round pick coming back in return and no Barrie salary retained I'd maybe be more warm to it. I get that Barrie isn't making much anyway and Colorado could afford it...but...why? Just to make sure the trade happens? Barrie will play top pair minutes for the Leafs. Okay, they gave up a good player, but still got Kerfoot as a substitute. 

Lou will never change. 

@ChrisKuc
New #Blackhawks goaltender Robin Lehner: "We were still pretty much all in with Long Island and they walked away—didn’t want to do anything."
New #Blackhawks goaltender Robin Lehner said the Islanders gave him an "ultimatum" and when he came back after thinking about it the Isles had moved on.

5 minutes ago, LittleBallofHate said:

Lou will never change. 

@ChrisKuc
New #Blackhawks goaltender Robin Lehner: "We were still pretty much all in with Long Island and they walked away—didn’t want to do anything."
New #Blackhawks goaltender Robin Lehner said the Islanders gave him an "ultimatum" and when he came back after thinking about it the Isles had moved on.

The fact that it worked on Lee is even worse. That demand for loyalty thing just doesn't work in today's sports 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I mean, yeah really. Kadri is on a sweetheart deal; 3 years left at 4m per season for a no-doubt 2nd line center. That’s a fvckin deal. 

I think the trade leans in the Leafs favor but you’re underselling Kadri. 

How do you perceive my valuation of Kadri and what should it be?

I mean, it sounds like you just agree with me.

10 minutes ago, LittleBallofHate said:

Lou will never change. 

@ChrisKuc

Sounds more like Lou wasn’t a huge believer in Lehner beyond last season.  Guess he likes Varlamov that much more.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

The fact that it worked on Lee is even worse. That demand for loyalty thing just doesn't work in today's sports 

I think Lee may have gone to Montreal, but the Aho offer sheet gummed up the works.... he had options, but when he saw he wasn’t gonna get $9 million a year from the Habs, he probably just decided to stick with what he knew. He seems to like it there. 

Edited by MadDog2020

Just now, NJDevils1214 said:

To be fair, he did also say "and whatever" and that's what Toronto would really want. 

I'll throw in some pork roll. They can't say no.

Unless they insist on Taylor Ham because they are North of North Jersey. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

I think Lee may have gone to Montreal, but the Aho offer sheet gummed up the works.... he had options, but when he saw he wasn’t gonna get $9 million a year from the Habs, he probably just decided to stick with what he knew. He seems to like it there. 

This whole Gusev hype reminds me of teams trying to find the elusive next Milan Lucic by drafting big guys who didn’t produce in their draft year.  Everyone thinks they’re getting Panarin with these undrafted (or virtually undrafted) Russian guys, but usually it’s someone like Nikita Zaitsev who you regret giving a big contract to after he shows you a little bit.  

I’m not necessarily opposed to getting him, but Ray better be very confident he’s the real deal and otherwise have exhausted every other opportunity to acquire a better player since there are only so many moves he can make.

6 minutes ago, Daniel said:

This whole Gusev hype reminds me of teams trying to find the elusive next Milan Lucic by drafting big guys who didn’t produce in their draft year.  Everyone thinks they’re getting Panarin with these undrafted (or virtually undrafted) Russian guys, but usually it’s someone like Nikita Zaitsev who you regret giving a big contract to after he shows you a little bit.  

I’m not necessarily opposed to getting him, but Ray better be very confident he’s the real deal and otherwise have exhausted every other opportunity to acquire a better player since there are only so many moves he can make.

Reminds me more of a Mogilny situation than a Lucic situation. He just needs to be convinced to come with dollars vs running from the RU gvt.

5 minutes ago, Daniel said:

The real question is the price to trade for him. Rumor has it both sides, VGK and Gusev have been talking two-year deal (bridge to UFA) and the difference is on $$$. The Devils don't have much to risk in signing any two-year deal and there's plenty of upside here. No doubt we can offer him every dollar any other team can, so again, to me the question is...how many picks is it going to cost us and which, if any, roster players?

Edited by Neb00rs
  • Like 1