2019 Offseason Thread

Daniel

8 minutes ago, MB3 said:

How about -- instead -- I post my wishes on a 2019 offseason thread on a new jersey devils message forum? 

~~crazy~~

You said yourself you’re setting yourself up for disappointment.... the last time that happened it wasn’t pretty. Just suggesting you temper your expectations, that’s all.

7 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Eh personally, I like the banter.

I like it when personalities shine through on this board.  

Gets a little stale on other forums like HFBoards where everything is moderated and if you don't fall in line with the consensus you get silenced.

Tell me about it.  I got a two month ban for criticizing Shero for losing out on Trouba, but some guy who just makes up stuff about why Hughes is going to be a bust (supposedly because he makes "wide turns") is in good standing. 

37 minutes ago, Devs3cups said:

Montreal fans on other boards pretty much laughing at Hurricanes fans saying they can’t afford to match the sheet because of all the front loaded money and bonuses. Big market team taking advantage of a smaller market team. Good on Carolina if they can match.

It was frankly ridiculous to think they wouldn't match it, I have no idea what Montreal or Aho's agent was thinking. The Hurricanes as a franchise have a value of > $400 million. Even if Dundon is cash strapped having lost big $$$ on AAF, they could easily borrow the $12 million against the franchise value to pay Aho's year 1 bonus.

As far as other offer sheet options, how about Jakub Vrana? Capitals are close to the cap and will need to resign Backstrom next year. Even a $4 mil cap hit (2nd rounder in compensation) could be trouble for them.

Edited by dmann422

Just now, Devilsfan118 said:

Gets a little stale on other forums like HFBoards where everything is moderated and if you don't fall in line with the consensus you get silenced.

Yeah, I hear ya on this.  Have there been times in the last couple of weeks that I would've liked to have taken the hysterical-everything-sucks version of Daniel and the hysterical-everything-sucks version of MB3 and smacked their heads together, in especially satisfying, hollow coconut-sounding Three Stooges fashion?  Sure.

But in the end, I'd rather see people here having genuine reactions and posting their true non-sugarcoated feelings, even the seemingly silly, kooky, over the top ones...if anything, sometimes it's that much more fun to look back on those and say "Damn, [that dude] really lost his sh!t on that one."  We've all lost it at some point.   

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

That place is a joke. That’s why I don’t post there. Waaaay too much moderation.

32 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I would pump the brakes just a little.  If he were that good, Tampa, who generally is pretty good at evaluating talent, wouldn't have given him away at the expansion draft and Vegas would find a way to get cap compliant some other way.

That said, the only downside with getting him is that it likely takes the Devils out of the running for landing a really big fish (like Laine) for the near future.

I'm not ready to call Gusev the next Panarin. But you can be damn sure if the Lightning could go back and do it again, they would have kept Gusev. Gusev was coming off a breakout year and was relatively new on the scene as a hot prospect. Meanwhile TB was still high on Dotchin and Koekkoek and wanted to avoid having them stolen away.

Here's TB's protected list from the expansion draft, it was basically all important players [at the time]:

Steven Stamkos, Nikita Kucherov, Ryan Callahan, Tyler Johnson, Ondrej Palat, Alex Killorn, Vladislav Namestnikov, Victor Hedman, Anton Stralman, Braydon Coburn, Andrei Vasilevskiy.

Edited by Neb00rs

Another KHL free agent I would have some interest in, not a guarantee he would be a top nine forward but he's a young and skilled guy. Liked Tkachev quite a bit in his draft year so I'd like this kid as an under the radar signing that we can add on top of whatever else we do this summer.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

I try my hardest to keep my every post on here as substantial as possible, but what a bright lights bitch.

Hopefully Subban and/or Simmonds will crush the little twat stain.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Much like Trouba, the rumor (according to Sportsnet and TSN) is that Panarins wife was a driving force in making him pick the Rags over  the Isles. I hope they are both in Shattenkirk territory in a few years. 

Edited by Devil Dan 56
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

I try my hardest to keep my every post on here as substantial as possible, but what a bright lights bitch.

Bright lights brah, big city brah, no cups brah, always smells kinda like pee brah. 

(Also, Bright lights bitch is fantastic.)

Edited by Devil Dan 56
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Much like Trouba, the rumor (according to Sportsnet and TSN) is that Panarins wife was a driving force in making him pick the Rags over  the Isles. I hope they are both in Shattenkirk territory in a few years. 

I looked her up and I don't really remember her as being some sort of big model.  Most of the searches I found called her an "Instagram Model."

Guy left money on the table so his wife can make him take a thousand pictures of her eating a meal at Le Bernardin that she can post on IG with some sort of sh!tty filter.  Enjoy her Artemi!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Bright lights brah, big city brah, no cups brah, always smells kinda like pee brah. 

(Also, Bright lights bitch is fantastic.)

The Notorious BLB...

went to MSG

just like Rupp,

slipped on pee

tore his knee.

and never won a Cup.

A tragic poem.

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Gotta admit, that 80's VoTec/Shop Class haircut is a killer look for the Bright Lights of Broadway...he really looks like he just stepped out of Doc's DeLorean, straight outta 1985...only not nearly as cool as when Marty McFly did it.  All Panarin needs now is a frayed T-shirt with a pack of Reds rolled up into his sleeve, a really crappy 70s semi-muscle car with a faded paint job, ripped jeans, workboots, and a jean jacket complete with an AC DC backpatch, and he'll have gone full retard retro...in one of the worst ways possible.  Well done Artemi, well done. 

BTW here's Panarin with his girlfriend, just before they stepped into the DeLorean:

See the source image

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Gotta admit, that 80's VoTec/Shop Class haircut is a killer look for the Bright Lights of Broadway...he really looks like he just stepped out of Doc's DeLorean, straight outta 1985...only not nearly as cool as when Marty McFly did it.  All Panarin needs now is a frayed T-shirt with a pack of Reds rolled up into his sleeve a really crappy 70s semi-muscle car with a faded paint job, ripped jeans, workboots, and a jean jacket complete with an AC DC backpatch, and he'll have gone full retard retro...in one of the worst ways possible.  Well done Artemi, well done. 

BTW here's Panarin with his girlfriend, just before stepped into the DeLorean:

See the source image

Is that Bruce Dickinson?

12 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Gotta admit, that 80's VoTec/Shop Class haircut is a killer look for the Bright Lights of Broadway..

I bet there are more places to get your hair cut in New Jersey than there are in Manhattan, just sayin'...

3 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Well i do know a guy who was silenced on this board for his opinion that was going against the consensus lol

4 hours ago, Daniel said:

I would pump the brakes just a little.  If he were that good, Tampa, who generally is pretty good at evaluating talent, wouldn't have given him away at the expansion draft and Vegas would find a way to get cap compliant some other way.

That said, the only downside with getting him is that it likely takes the Devils out of the running for landing a really big fish (like Laine) for the near future.

The Florida Panthers traded Reilly Smith in exchange for Vegas selecting Jonathan Marchessault

The Minnesota Wild traded Alex Tuch in exchange for Vegas selecting Erik Haula