2019 Offseason Thread

Daniel

11 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Yup. It’s over. 

Thinking of that pic of Hall, Getzlaff, Rico, Palms etc on private jet going to a sporting event (forgot what it was)

55 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Monday morning hypothetical for you;

The Devils are able to negotiate a contract with Marner that typically would have gone over the 4 1st round pick  threshold, but they don't want to do that, so everyone has their hands in their pockets. The Leafs offer Marner for Taylor Hall and 2 first round picks.

Yes or no?

12 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

How long would we have Marner in this hypothetical? 

Is Hall definitely refusing the extension? If so, and Marner is giving us the 5 years he supposedly wants to give Toronto, then I probably do it. Maybe a 1st and a 2nd is better, though. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

Okay, but why? It's clear that Hall isn't ready to discuss an extension; otherwise we would have seen one already. So do you want to see him walk out of the door for nothing? 

Why is that clear though? Shero said that they weren't even going to sit down for serious discussions until a few weeks after free agency

31 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Is Hall definitely refusing the extension? If so, and Marner is giving us the 5 years he supposedly wants to give Toronto, then I probably do it. Maybe a 1st and a 2nd is better, though. 

Yeah, I would do it if we got Marner for 5 years. Probably even with the two firsts. 

That would be a hell of a young core: Nico, Hughes, Marner, Smith, Boqvist, and Bratt. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

I guess it just seems clear. If Hall was ready to re-sign, I imagine it would’ve been done by now. 

It wouldn't seem clear to me unless we were hitting the end of August and closing in on training camp. Shero wanted things to settle down first and there's still a lot up in the air free agency at the moment. Once Marner signs somewhere, the dominoes will fall and we'll get a more clear picture of what's up with Hall

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MB3 said:

You’re dramatically overrating the value a pending-UFA injury prone Taylor Hall has, and you’re dramatically underrating the value a team-controlled superstar like Mitch has.

I was assuming that Hall would be signed by Toronto. If Hall has no contract in place, then Toronto doesn't do anything like this.

21 minutes ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

I was assuming that Hall would be signed by Toronto. If Hall has no contract in place, then Toronto doesn't do anything like this.

I think he's going to sign an extension here, but if he doesn't I would be floored if he ends up with a Canadian team.  The Canadian press created this narrative that he was a bad teammate, a locker room cancer, a soft player and coke head.  Why on earth would he want to go back to that, only this time making more money where the pressure to perform is even greater? 

33 minutes ago, MB3 said:

You’re dramatically overrating the value a pending-UFA injury prone Taylor Hall has, and you’re dramatically underrating the value a team-controlled superstar like Mitch has.

The Devils are  probably in a good enough cap position to keep Hall and give Marner the 4 first round pick offersheet.  There's enough smoke that Shero is at least interested in it, and wouldn't have traded next year's second if he wasn't prepared to do one above $10.5 or whatever the highest threshold is. 

I think the more interesting idea is to try and make a trade for Laine.  You're not hearing these rumors that both sides are unhappy with one one another and that Scheiflie and Wheeler don't like him for nothing.  I think Bratt, Butcher and a 2020 first gets it done, or perhaps Joey Anderson as a piece since Winnipeg might see it as helpful in not having Dylan Samberg go the Adam Fox route since the two played together at Minnesota Duluth.

And I think Hall takes a little less than he otherwise might be able to get if it's what needed for the team to get another star player.  Like the Seguin contract but taking NJ taxes into account.

Edited by Daniel

12 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

But it would be similar money to sign Hall, so them being hamstrung doesn't get fixed that way

So... are we saying that Hall gets the same cash as Marner here? I honestly don't know the value of players these days, especially 2 such high profile ones.

After Douche-shane took such a ridiculous low deal in NSH, I'm kind of unsure what these 2 players will get.

11 minutes ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

So... are we saying that Hall gets the same cash as Marner here? I honestly don't know the value of players these days, especially 2 such high profile ones.

After Douche-shane took such a ridiculous low deal in NSH, I'm kind of unsure what these 2 players will get.

A lot more than Duchene. That’s for sure. Hall and Marner are 90+ point players. Duchene’s career high is 70. 

Living in Ottawa, I've had more than my fill of 2-faced Duchene. He had constant interviews throughout last year saying bs about 'oh I don't care about the money, I just want the best fit for me' blah blah blah

Then, he claims to be a Canadians fan, visits them, and then likely turns down more cash from them to play in NSH. Basically, you can't trust a word that guy says.  He's a cancer in my opinion, whined his way out of Colorado,

then came to Ottawa on one of the worst hockey trades in the history of the game (for OTT, Colorado made out like bandits), and performed like crap for the rest of the season while the Sens nose dived. Im certainly no Sen fans, but that guy is a real POS and NSH gets to see that for the next few years as well.

Edited by Rob_Ottawa

39 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

A lot more than Duchene. That’s for sure. Hall and Marner are 90+ point players. Duchene’s career high is 70. 

Hold on. 

I’lm not prepared to say “Taylor Hall is a 90+ point player” where he’s played 9 years, had 90+ points only once, and he’s had more than 65 only twice. He’s a .91 PPG player for his career, which is a 75 points per season rate.

Calling him a 90+ points guy based on one season is, let’s just say, not as accurate as it could be. 

Ditto for Marner, who also has only one 90+ point season and was below 70 the other two. 

I still put them both ahead of Duchene, clearly, but making the declaration that both guys are “90+ point players”  based on having achieved that stat once isn’t really a fair assessment of either guy.