2019 Offseason Thread

Daniel

Unless we get something else of value as well? 

But if we’re going to take on a sh!tty contract, I’d rather take one who is hurt and isn’t going to fvck up the product on the ice. 

I’d rather pay Clarkson to not play than pay Backes to play. 

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Unless we get something else of value as well? 

But if we’re going to take on a sh!tty contract, I’d rather take one who is hurt and isn’t going to fvck up the product on the ice. 

I’d rather pay Clarkson to not play than pay Backes to play. 

If they gave us Carlo or something, than sure. If not.....

67CEF212-E058-45A1-B642-B6F92599868D.gif

3 hours ago, MB3 said:

No it’s not. Baseless rumors by people without a blue check mark means absolutely nothing. The second Laroque falsely reported Hall was an addict (which isn’t a word you throw around unless you know with 100% certainty), the Canadian media created a narrative.

just like they created the narrative that P.K. Subban was selfish. (ducks)

lol i'm not really sure if you're serious or not about the blue check mark comment, so i'll just assume it was a joke. Then there was rumours about it way before laraque made that comment...

Then, one ex player on a radio show does not represent "Canadian media" lol I mean... that would be like me saying that American media is creating bullsh!t narrative because Larry Brook and Єklund (2.3% accurate) said something that wasn't true.

I'll just ignore the Subban comment

Just now, SterioDesign said:

Backes? A 35 years old, 3rd line RW costing 6millions for the next 2 seasons, who got 20 pts last season... plus we'd have to send assets to get him? I can't see it

You play a young guy like Anderson instead

Ugh, TWO years?? I thought it was just one. That’s even worse, why spend assets on that??

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Ugh, TWO years?? I thought it was just one. That’s even worse, why spend assets on that??

Yeah there is literally no reason to trade for David Backes unless a nice asset was coming along with him for our time and trouble. 

6 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah there is literally no reason to trade for David Backes unless a nice asset was coming along with him for our time and trouble. 

Correct. And now I want something nicer because we’d have to suffer him for 2 years and probably put one of the kids’ development off. Seems like a bad move for both reasons. 

6 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

yeah and he has a Modified NTC so it wont be easy to move him for the bruins

Good!! Can he not want to play here like everyone else? Tell him it’s not that close to Manhattan!!

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Good!! Can he not want to play here like everyone else? Tell him it’s not that close to Manhattan!!

Maybe he simply found an old flyer that Lou use to send to players...

"Are you an over the hill player with a chip on your shoulder? Do you want top minutes to prove that you still got it and prove everyone wrong? Would you like to get paid way too much for way too long and we're not even asking you to contribute much for it? Do you hate beards, having fun and the internet? Well the New Jersey Devils is where you want to be!"

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

Maybe he simply found an old flyer that Lou use to send to players...

"Are you an over the hill player with a chip on your shoulder? Do you want top minutes to prove that you still got it and prove everyone wrong? Would you like to get paid way too much for way too long and we're not even asking you to contribute much for it? Do you hate beards, having fun and the internet? Well the New Jersey Devils is where you want to be!"

“You’ll also need a new jersey number”. 

• Haha 1

I don't think Shero's stupid - this would have to be a Backes + Asset(s) for late pick. Like the Canes just did with Marleau.

If we could get a late 1st out of this? Hell yeah sign me up.

And then we'd immediately buy Backes out.

Everything Shero's done thus far leads me to believe he understands a player like Backes doesn't fit the team he's trying to build.

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I don't think Shero's stupid - this would have to be a Backes + Asset(s) for late pick. Like the Canes just did with Marleau.

Everything Shero's done thus far leads me to believe he understands a player like Backes doesn't fit the team he's trying to build.

Basically this, I don't think Shero is dumb, if we were to acquire Backes I'm sure we'd be getting a pretty penny back along with him. He barely played on Boston last year in the playoffs, so if we got back an extra 1st rounder in exchange for keeping Backes as our 13th forward, I'd be fine with that.

2 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Backes contract has buyout protections built in. It gets you almost no relief financially. 

• Like 3

What a stupid story on TSN today about Rangers trying to clear cap space.

Duh, every team is trying to do that except us and Phoenix.

In other news, grass is green and ice is cold.

Likely a story leaked from NYR to try and get more calls about the crap they are trying to offload.

15 minutes ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

What a stupid story on TSN today about Rangers trying to clear cap space.

Duh, every team is trying to do that except us and Phoenix.

In other news, grass is green and ice is cold.

Likely a story leaked from NYR to try and get more calls about the crap they are trying to offload.

Someone will probably help them too. Someone always does.

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

Someone will probably help them too. Someone always does.

As much as I hate to admit it, the Rangers do have some tradable assets.  They will also have cap room coming in the near future...only players they're tied to long-term right now are Panarin (7 years), Zibanejad (3 years) and Skjei (5 years).  Bigger hits like Shattenkirk, Lundqvist and Staal come off after the 2020-21 season. 

Sucks, I wanted them to be in cap hell, but the truth is they'll be in pretty good shape in short order, even if they're not right at this moment...hopefully they blow some of their future space on UFAs that don't pan out. 

1 hour ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Off-topic but how do you guys use GIFs as your avatar? Every time I try to reduce the size and upload it or link it the site tells me it's still too big.

Image result for magic gif

But actually - I just use one of the free gif resizer websites out there.

I shrink, crop, remove frames, optimize, etc. until the gif fits under the insane 100kb limit that @DevilMinder has set ;)

Can we get a bump on the avatar size limit DM?  Assuming it wouldn't cause headaches of course.

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Backes contract has buyout protections built in. It gets you almost no relief financially. 

Building on this. If we were to do this and take his $6m for 2 i’d Rather just suffer with the hit for the two years than suffer with half for 4. Granted we have at least a few raises to pay out, the $6m wouldn’t kill us

17 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Image result for magic gif

I shrink, crop, remove frames, optimize, etc. until the gif fits under the insane 100kb limit that @DevilMinder has set ;)

Can we get a bump on the avatar size limit DM?  Assuming it wouldn't cause headaches of course.

I couldn’t fit my picture entirely, have always had problems since they changed from a square to a circle. 

I have to see if resizing it like that would work. 

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

yeah that's what I was doin, I guess I'll take another stab at it, thanks man!

EDIT: got it, but yeesh the quality i got was traysh

Edited by RunninWithTheDevil