2019 Offseason Thread

Daniel

3 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

That isn’t even a question. Anything other than seven years is a non-starter.

If it were us, it could make sense to do a three year deal with a ridiculously high AAV, like $14 million, which is something the Devils could afford until Hughes and Smith come out of their ELCs.  Marner is still an RFA at the end of it, and you could give him a long term deal with a lower AAV.  Or, you could trade him or let him sign an offer sheet and take four first rounders from someone else. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Daniel said:

If it were us, it could make sense to do a three year deal with a ridiculously high AAV, like $14 million, which is something the Devils could afford until Hughes and Smith come out of their ELCs.  Marner is still an RFA at the end of it, and you could give him a long term deal with a lower AAV.  Or, you could trade him or let him sign an offer sheet and take four first rounders from someone else. 

I wouldn’t do it for 4 1’s though, not for only three years. If I’m doing 4 1’s, it’s gotta be a seven year deal.

8 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I wouldn’t do it for 4 1’s though, not for only three years. If I’m doing 4 1’s, it’s gotta be a seven year deal.

Agreed. Plus, I think he said he wants 5 years, which I believe takes him to UFA. He’s not looking for a second RFA deal in 3 years, he’s looking for a huge deal on the open market in 5 years. Maybe you trade him at the end, sure, but no 4 1sts. 

And I think he shall have it. So I can’t see him signing a 3 year sheet. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Agreed. Plus, I think he said he wants 5 years, which I believe takes him to UFA. He’s not looking for a second RFA deal in 3 years, he’s looking for a huge deal on the open market in 5 years. Maybe you trade him at the end, sure, but no 4 1sts. 

And I think he shall have it. So I can’t see him signing a 3 year sheet. 

some say he's looking for 2-3 years so it brings him when the cap goes up do the the expansion team like it did last time, meaning he could get more money

or something with the tv deals.. i dunno

Edited by SterioDesign

21 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

some say he's looking for 2-3 years so it brings him when the cap goes up do the the expansion team like it did last time, meaning he could get more money

or something with the tv deals.. i dunno

Anything is possible until pen hits paper, I suppose. I think it would be pretty reckless to take that risk and I can’t imagine any of his people allowing him to do that. 

20 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Christ if he lives up to his potential, he’s going to be amazing. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

The point is that you set things up so that you have him for seven years or even longer, but you stagger the cap hit so it’s more manageable in 3 years when it really needs to be.  You can’t agree to it ahead of time, and there’s no honor among thieves, so you have the ability to trade him at the end of the three years or get four picks if the plan doesn’t work.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Daniel said:

The point is that you set things up so that you have him for seven years or even longer, but you stagger the cap hit so it’s more manageable in 3 years when it really needs to be.  You can’t agree to it ahead of time, and there’s no honor among thieves, so you have the ability to trade him at the end of the three years or get four picks if the plan doesn’t work.

I think in that scenario, I might not trade him at all. What are the odds you trade him for something better than 4 1sts?

Just now, mfitz804 said:

Anything is possible until pen hits paper, I suppose. I think it would be pretty reckless to take that risk and I can’t imagine any of his people allowing him to do that. 

Well if i believe all the rumours. His dad is a headache. Just a quick google search on Paul Marner and the interview he did will show you that he's the typical hockey dad taking too much space

8 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Well if i believe all the rumours. His dad is a headache. Just a quick google search on Paul Marner and the interview he did will show you that he's the typical hockey dad taking too much space

I’ve heard that also. But in the concussion era, nobody should be turning down a 7 year, $11-12m deal for a shorter term and the chance of an extra million or two per year down the road. 

Sure, it’s easy to say and those millions do add up. But only if you don’t get hurt, and if he doesn’t, he’ll still be young enough to get a pretty nice deal at the tail end. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

The advantage of being in New Jersey is that there will basically be no one talking about whatever his dad might be saying, the same way Scott Niedermayer's mom would have been a constant topic of conversation had he played in Toronto, but was maybe mentioned a handful of times over the years in Rich Chere's columns. Even in Philly, where they actually talk about hockey on sports talk radio a lot, Lindros's parents weren't that much of an issue.

Edited by Daniel

13 minutes ago, Daniel said:

The advantage of being in New Jersey is that there will basically be no one talking about whatever his dad might be saying, the same way Scott Niedermayer's mom would have been a constant topic of conversation had he played in Toronto, but was maybe mentioned a handful of times over the years in Rich Chere's columns. Even in Philly, where they actually talk about hockey on sports talk radio a lot, Lindros's parents weren't that much of an issue.

What was the deal with Niedermayer’s mom? All I remember about her was she was rooting for Rob to win his first Cup with Anaheim in 03.  

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

What was the deal with Niedermayer’s mom? All I remember about her was she was rooting for Rob to win his first Cup with Anaheim in 03.  

As I recall, there were a few snippets from her during Scott's contract disputes with Lou.  It didn't affect his play in New Jersey, but might have been an issue if it were a Canadian team.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daniel said:

Yeahh, i still get the feeling that Marner wants to be in Toronto and he's just doing everything he can to force the leafs to give him as much money as possible and he's willing to be patient.

50 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Yeahh, i still get the feeling that Marner wants to be in Toronto and he's just doing everything he can to force the leafs to give him as much money as possible and he's willing to be patient.

That would explain his end, but I do wonder why nobody is trying to offer sheet him yet. Perhaps the 4 1sts is too high for teams to tolerate. 

13 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

That would explain his end, but I do wonder why nobody is trying to offer sheet him yet. Perhaps the 4 1sts is too high for teams to tolerate. 

He could have a few offer sheets on his agent's desk that they are either not signing or still negotiating.

1 minute ago, Crisis said:

He could have a few offer sheets on his agent's desk that they are either not signing or still negotiating.

That's true. Just because we heard about Aho's doesn't mean we'd hear about his. Good point. 

That Sissons deal with NSH (7 years at $20 million total) is another super steal for them.  Solid all around player who can play several positions and on different lines.

Does state income tax really make that much of a difference?  I lived in Mass for a year and my total income tax was almost identical to Canada, with only a very small portion of it being state tax.

Edited by Rob_Ottawa

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

It's possible that teams have presented him with an offersheet and he said no or we'll see, although from what MacKenzie tweeted a few days ago it doesn't sound like he's gotten one.

Speaking of the Sissons contract, would you take a chance and give the same thing to Zacha?  I probably would.

3 hours ago, Daniel said:

As I recall, there were a few snippets from her during Scott's contract disputes with Lou.  It didn't affect his play in New Jersey, but might have been an issue if it were a Canadian team.

As it turns out, Lou screwed Nieds and she was right. at that time you had to be 31? to be ufa? no doubt Nieds woulda been gone in todays cba. Niedermeier wasn't treated well.