2019 Offseason Thread

Daniel

3 hours ago, Jas0nMacIsaac said:

https://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2019/4/29/18512692/2019-report-card-kevin-shattenkirk-new-york-rangers-defenseman

I would like to think NJ will be aggressive on Shattenkirk if NYR were stupid enough to buy him out. He was unlucky last season and actually one of NYR better 5 on 5 players despite playing injured since December. He still provides value on the 2nd PP unit. This leaves Vatanen as a trade option to beef up the forwards.

Butcher - Subban

Smith - Shattenkirk

Greene - Severson

There are a lot of play drivers and offensive weapons from the back end.

I would not do anything beyond two years and nothing more money-wise than something you can get rid of without much thought.  And Shattenkirk's availability should not influence trading Vatanen one way or the other.

He's got bad knees and was at times a healthy scratch on a bad Rangers team, and it wasn't like he was Drew Doughty not too long ago.  He will not be apprciably better on the power play than Vatanen or Severson, who will be very limited there anyway so long as Subban is healthy. 

We dodged a bullet not signing him. 

1 minute ago, Triumph said:

These NHL reporters don't really speculate on salary/AAV stuff like this very often, so this makes me think that this is leaked from the Devils front office.  I think it would be huge to get Butcher at that kind of number but I could see why he might resist - he'd be 30 when the deal is over and it might be hard to get another long-term deal after that, depending on how his career goes. 

Looks like Butcher just got married this weekend, which would explain why there hasn't been much movement there to date. 

Also, it would be strange for him to be the team representative at Hughes' press conference only to have to go to arbitration a contract, which often means you're getting traded.

8 minutes ago, Devs1965 said:

Is This True??? https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/1359715 Gusev to NJ. Looks Legit!

I sure as hell hope so but I don't see it anywhere else.

EDIT: Ah bro, that is Armchair GM. I think they let you make mock changes to lineup and stuff. It isn't real.

Edited by NJDevils1214
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jas0nMacIsaac said:

I would say he is an upgrade 5 on 5 over Vatanen, it would only be a 1 or 2 year contract. I'm not sure anyone has the space to add him long term anyway. Last, it allows NJ to move Vatanen for a forward, preferably the LW version of Vatanen on an expiring contract.

You can't hold grudges for choosing one team over the other, NYC is a beautiful option for a professional and his family. This is all just a business.

I don't hold a grudge for him joining them. It just shows his judgement is impaired 😀 But surely getting bought out will give him a massive incentive to prove to NYR were wrong to get rid of him so I can see he could have a bounce back season.