2019 Offseason Thread

Daniel

3 hours ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

All I wanted was depth moves, I never said anything about crazy huge contracts

So you wanted Ray to pull a Lou?

Our roster last year was mostly depth players once Hall went down, let's be honest. Sure, you need depth to create a winning team, but the "depth" that was available last summer was nothing compared to the franchise changing moves we've been able to make this summer.

Just from the top of my head, the depth guys below:

David Perron? No thanks, his game went back to the average at best level it was before Vegas.

Neal? Benefited from the Vegas boost last year, as well. Plus I wouldn't have been happy with the 5 years, personally.

Komorov, Filpula and whoever else Lou added? Maybe Filp, but otherwise, no thanks, they started hot and faded fast.

By all means let me know who else you would have been interested in, I'm genuinely curious. You can even message me outside of the thread to discuss. I just didn't see anything that would have been worth the 1-2 year flyer that would have truly changed the dynamic of the team last year any better than this summer.

Edited by jagknife

41 minutes ago, ajsgolf said:

McDavid knowing he’s the best in the league, I wonder what that feeling must be like.  Other than him knowing he’ll always get a maximum contract in terms of salary and pretty much getting any girl he wants it probably still has an empty feeling knowing he won’t win a cup with the team he’s currently on.  Just always goes to show you need a supporting cast to make it work.

This board has a weird obsession with players’ girlfriends 😂

Edited by Devs3cups
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, ajsgolf said:

McDavid knowing he’s the best in the league, I wonder what that feeling must be like.  Other than him knowing he’ll always get a maximum contract in terms of salary and pretty much getting any girl he wants it probably still has an empty feeling knowing he won’t win a cup with the team he’s currently on.  Just always goes to show you need a supporting cast to make it work.

Ken Holland is the GM of the Oilers, probably the best player the Oilers acquired. While this doesn't mean the Cup, I think the Oilers will start moving in a positive direction.

4 hours ago, jagknife said:

So you wanted Ray to pull a Lou?

Our roster last year was mostly depth players once Hall went down, let's be honest. Sure, you need depth to create a winning team, but the "depth" that was available last summer was nothing compared to the franchise changing moves we've been able to make this summer.

Just from the top of my head, the depth guys below:

David Perron? No thanks, his game went back to the average at best level it was before Vegas.

Neal? Benefited from the Vegas boost last year, as well. Plus I wouldn't have been happy with the 5 years, personally.

Komorov, Filpula and whoever else Lou added? Maybe Filp, but otherwise, no thanks, they started hot and faded fast.

By all means let me know who else you would have been interested in, I'm genuinely curious. You can even message me outside of the thread to discuss. I just didn't see anything that would have been worth the 1-2 year flyer that would have truly changed the dynamic of the team last year any better than this summer.

I'm looking at guys like Petr mrazek

Look how he changed Carolina completely from missing playoffs to getting to second round. 

Obviously we had many injuries as others stated, so we still miss the playoffs with a guy like that, but honestly I wished we had moved on from Cory. 

Losing to get better in the long run I get. But losing 7-3 to Ottawa last year is embarrassing. 

I could look up some more dmen but a guy like Green in Detroit may have helped us a bit, especially to guide butcher going forward. Both examples of guys we could have picked up relatively cheap. 

Edited by Rob_Ottawa

8 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I hope Minnesota doesn’t target Fitzgerald now.....

He has to be the favorite going in.

In re: the recent frustration with the team Parise has voiced, it's hard to feel bad for him. He signed a massive long-term deal that was inevitably going to come back to haunt the team right around now. They missed their window to win and Fletcher never really put a team together that anyone believed could win it all anyway. Now, Parise can't be traded without taking a bad contract back and the Wild don't look ready to contend soon either.

Edit: To my point above, my intention isn't to say the Wild have huge cap space issues, but that it's hard to make trading Parise worth it for them. They're better off keeping his production than giving him away in a bad trade. So Parise is stuck.

Edited by Neb00rs
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, devlman said:

Why would Ottawa do that just for a fifth round pick?

Probably some stupid inner circle "you scratch my back I'll scratch yours" deal where someone owed someone a favor, unless there's a chance Callahan actually plays again, but I don't think there is.

8 hours ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

Thanks for flaming me you jackass troll.

I guess anyone who disagrees with you is 'dumb'

All I wanted was depth moves, I never said anything about crazy huge contracts

The previous poster was respectful in counter arguments without being a douchebag like yourself

First time I was EVER called a troll here, which shows how dumb of a comment that was.  

But anyhoo, you did get some depth signings that year on D, though nothing fancy...and Shero had players that he needed to get a look at, at both levels.  He already had Severson, Vatanen, Santini, Mueller, Greene, and Lovejoy slated for the big club for 2018-19...and of course, had Ty Smith in the plans for 2019-20.  Shero added Gryba, Tangradi, and Yakovlev...like I said, far from sexy, but Shero had to get a good luck at Mueller (who he coughed up a 2nd and 4th for) and Santini.  

Bitch all you want about Shero not being able to please you 100% of the time, but suffice it to say that he moves on from guys once he decides they don’t fit the bill.  Q got chances, did zilch with them, gone.  Noesen...gone.  Santini...adios.  KK...did enough in 2017-18 with his hot run for Shero to wonder if he could step in as a #1 for stretches when needed...had a rough year...done.  Part of last season was about that...evaluation and seeing which players deserve to stay.  I’d say Miles Wood probably shouldn’t get too comfortable.  This year’s an important one for him.  

2 hours ago, devlman said:

Why would Ottawa do that just for a fifth round pick?

Why not? It's better than staying with the 6th round pick. The real cash is likely covered mostly by insurance and they have plenty of space to fit the contract in, LTIR or not. They didn't really get TB out of a jam either, the Lightning weren't really in trouble. Though, this trade allows them to possibly not be in LTIR this season rather than in it. It's worth noting that, according to their roster on CapFriendly, TB could owe some bonus money at the end of the year. If they're exceeding the cap due to LTIR those bonuses could end up carrying over to next year's cap.

It's not a salary floor trade for Ottawa though, they'd get there easily regardless.

Edited by Neb00rs

I read rumors about parise asking for a trade

let`s hypothetical it

Do we need parise with his today form and health in 4th line with zajac and coleman if we trade his1/2 salary, prospect D for wood, 5th pick or another late pick for our SC run? 3.25 isn`t a high price for a guy who can play in pk, can score 20-25 goals. And if he want`s to retire - it will be a wild problem if i`m understand correctly.

Edited by Guadana

9 minutes ago, Guadana said:

I read rumors about parise asking for a trade

let`s hypothetical it

Do we need parise with his today form and health in 4th line with zajac and coleman if we trade his1/2 salary, prospect D for wood, 5th pick or another late pick for our SC run? 3.25 isn`t a high price for a guy who can play in pk, can score 20-25 goals. And if he want`s to retire - it will be a wild problem if i`m understand correctly.

I can't see how we could fit Parise and Suter on the team right now.

... they do come as a BFF package right? 

• Like 1

I feel like im too emotionally involved to really analyse the possibility...

So let's see... Zach is 35 and still under contract for 6 years...  

He's a 50-60 pts player with a 7.5m cap hit... he should start declining (again) sooner than later. He's been productive when healthy but his health is a concern

Unless we'd somehow get him for like... ridiculously cheap i'd stay away.

7 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I feel like im too emotionally involved to really analyse the possibility...

So let's see... Zach is 35 and still under contract for 6 years...  

He's a 50-60 pts player with a 7.5m cap hit... he should start declining (again) sooner than later. He's been productive when healthy but his health is a concern

Unless we'd somehow get him for like... ridiculously cheap i'd stay away.

I’m not interested. I mean I would take a 50-60 point guy at a reasonable price all day long, but fvck him I’m not interested lol. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 1

Just now, mfitz804 said:

I’m not interested. I mean I would take a 50-60 point guy at a reasonable price all day long, but fvck him I’m not interested lol. 

Yeah i'll never really blame Parise for walking but still i'd rather have younger guys who can stay here for awhile