2019 Offseason Thread

Daniel

With Valimaki from Flames being injured for loooong time... Does it make Vatanen a sexy trade for them ? 
I know that Vatanen's trade is not always supported but what if the price is right ? What can we get from them ? 

36 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

The Panthers are retiring Luongo’s number on March 7- first Panther player to have his number retired. Well deserved. https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/27372488/panthers-retire-luongo-number-march

Lol what a pathetic franchise. Roberto has a grand total of 2 playoff wins WITH Florida and only made the playoffs one time. He had 230 wins with Florida and 195 of them were meaingless(he had 35 wins in 15-16 when they made the playoffs once with him) 

We should have a higher standard for player numbers getting retired and I would be ashamed if we did something like this as a franchise. 

35 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Lol what a pathetic franchise. Roberto has a grand total of 2 playoff wins WITH Florida and only made the playoffs one time. He had 230 wins with Florida and 195 of them were meaingless(he had 35 wins in 15-16 when they made the playoffs once with him) 

We should have a higher standard for player numbers getting retired and I would be ashamed if we did something like this as a franchise. 

Luongo is a Hall of Fame goalie who played for a Hall of Shame franchise.  He did everything he could.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

We’ll have to agree to disagree. The Panthers are a sad franchise, but he’s the best player they’ve ever had. He’s their all-time leader in wins and shutouts, and more importantly, he’s been huge in the South Florida community in terms of charity work and the like. He absolutely deserves the honor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

It’s a bit borderline, but I think deserved, akin to the Devils retiring Daneyko’s number.  It would be one thing if out of nowhere they decided to retire Ed Jovanovski’s number just to sell some tickets and create an artificial buzz like the Rangers do when they retire numbers of players who retired more than 30 years ago.  But Luongo is a Hall of Famer who spent roughly half his career in Florida who also has a connection to the area and to the franchise that’s more significant than a great player who played some games there.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Roberto has been one of the best goalies these past 20 years in the NHL. He deserves this and then HOF.  This isn't something to be ashamed of. 

Edited by CarterforPresident
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Daneyko played 1300 games for the Devils and won 3 cups.

there is literally zero correlation. 

It would be more like the Devils retiring Mogilny’s Jersey. 

Daneyko was never a great player and more or less played no role in the third cup.  His number is retired because of what he meant to the franchise and is deserved on that basis.  Luongo is a bit of column A and bit of column B.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Daneyko was never a great player and more or less played no role in the third cup.  His number is retired because of what he meant to the franchise and is deserved on that basis.  Luongo is a bit of column A and bit of column B.  

Daneyko was on the first team that ever made the playoffs for this franchise plus won 3 Stanley cups and made it to 4 finals plus numerous playoff appearances and divisional titles. He still played in 13 games during that 03 run and 69 games in the regular season. 

I'm not arguing that Roberto isn't a good player but I stick to the mindset that winners and championships are the only reasons to have a retired number in the rafters. The standards have been lowered around the league for some time now. 

If we did something similar I would absolutely have a problem with it. 

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 1

Lou deserves it. It’s a team sport, it’s not his fault they never won any Cups. And if not for Marty, Lou would probably have won a couple Vezina’s in late 00’s. Certainly one of the best goalies of this era. Didn’t Vancouver even give him the C one year? I’m sure he’s a pretty beloved player. No issue here. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Daneyko was on the first team that ever made the playoffs for this franchise plus won 3 Stanley cups and made it to 4 finals plus numerous playoff appearances and divisional titles. He still played in 13 games during that 03 run and 69 games in the regular season. 

I'm not arguing that Roberto isn't a good player but I stick to the mindset that winners and championships are the only reasons to have a retired number in the rafters. The standards have been lowered around the league for some time now. 

If we did something similar I would absolutely have a problem with it. 

i don't really agree that you have to have won cups in order to get your # retired though. A cup is a team award. Getting your # retired should be based on personal achievements. 

I mean is there really a need to point out that great players never won cups and average players won it multiple times?... Chris Kunitz has 4 cups and guys like Stamkos or Joe Thornton 0. No one in their right mind would think Kunitz # should be retired vs the other 2

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

i don't really agree that you have to have won cups in order to get your # retired though. A cup is a team award. Getting your # retired should be based on personal achievements. 

I mean is there really a need to point out that great players never won cups and average players won it multiple times?... Chris Kunitz has 4 cups and guys like Stamkos or Joe Thornton 0. No one in their right mind would think Kunitz # should be retired vs the other 2

For me its a combo of both, team awards plus personal achievements. Like I said, I have high standards when it comes to this topic and I don't expect most to agree with me about it. 

12 hours ago, MB3 said:

Daneyko played 1300 games for the Devils and won 3 cups.

there is literally zero correlation. 

It would be more like the Devils retiring Mogilny’s Jersey. 

Terrible analogy. Mogilny barely played for the team, Luongo played 10-11 seasons. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

And not just stats. Things like community work,  longevity, etc. also factor in. Dano deserved it, so does Luongo. 

• Like 2