2019 Offseason Thread

Daniel

1 hour ago, Antiquated Colorado Rockie said:

He's a hell of a scorer but what concerns me is that he hasn't improved much since coming into the league and he hasn't seemed to show much interest in rounding out his game.

There is a lot of players who fit that bill.  Scoring goals is what wins games and if that is the one dimension he is particularly great at, then I can live with the shortcomings of the rest of his game.

I'd rather have a player who is a really good at scoring goals over a player who can do everything mediocre.  We have had plenty of those latter types of players over the years.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Anyone concerned about the 1000's of hours Laine's logging on Fortnite?  

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't slightly worried about it.

As long as he also hits the gym once in awhile. There’s far worse sh!t a young (rich) kid could be getting into...

1 hour ago, Jerzey said:

Personally I’d love Laine in NJ. I don’t even care if he stays one dimensional. I almost prefer it. Look at what happened to Kovy when he rounded out his game. Hughes having a sniper like him on his wing would give us a lot of goals for years to come. 

Kovy in his prime had Laine's tools plus a lot more. And when I say more I'm putting heavy emphasis on his skating ability. Laine knows how to stand at the circle and shoot. 

5 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Kovy in his prime had Laine's tools plus a lot more. And when I say more I'm putting heavy emphasis on his skating ability. Laine knows how to stand at the circle and shoot. 

I’m fine with that. He’d probably be on a line with Hughes and Gusev who can do all of the skating that line would need. They can put on a skating clinic and just get him the puck. 

Like this didn't cause enough problems, Devils are yet AGAIN putting the goal song up for a fan vote.

Personally, I was fine with Howl.  I didn't love it, but it was alright enough.

Right now Devils are taking suggestions through a link online.  I already put my suggestion in with Mambo #5 by Lou Bega.  I am dead serious about that.

Edited by DevsMan84
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

There is a lot of players who fit that bill.  Scoring goals is what wins games and if that is the one dimension he is particularly great at, then I can live with the shortcomings of the rest of his game.

I'd rather have a player who is a really good at scoring goals over a player who can do everything mediocre.  We have had plenty of those latter types of players over the years.

Laine is better than a mediocre NHLer, no doubt about that. I'm just saying I'm concerned with his lack of improvement and commitment to other parts of the game. Most others are probably higher on him than me, I wouldn't sell the farm for Laine. 

31 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Like this didn't cause enough problems, Devils are yet AGAIN putting the goal song up for a fan vote.

Personally, I was fine with Howl.  I didn't love it, but it was alright enough.

Right now Devils are taking suggestions through a link online.  I already put my suggestion in with Mambo #5 by Lou Bega.  I am dead serious about that.

i will dump my seasons if it's mambo #5

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I wasn't a fan of the goal song either but I'd rather they not change it. It works and it made sense cause the band is from NJ and sh!t.  

Wait... Is this just a ploy to get my info so ticket reps can bug me?! 

Yes

1 minute ago, sundstrom said:

i will dump my seasons if it's mambo #5

LGD!

23 minutes ago, moustic said:

I voted for Take you down from Daniel Pemberton (but at 1mn19)

not entirely awful suggestion

15 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Ffs, it was fine.  Now we're going to do this again?

Ain't Talking Bout Love by Van Halen, final 30-60 seconds or whatever.

HEY HEY HEY on repeat.

I like this too but it smacks of the Rangers one which i fvcking hate.

as was stated earlier, Howl is plenty good and has built up currency.

i hate that they're changing it and i'm terrified of whatever hits1 drivel they choose

• Like 3

Just now, Rock said:

I  didn't care that they dumped Rock and Roll part 2. But since I heard Nashville chant Hey you Suck, and we still yell it unofficially. I renominated Rock and Roll part 2 for nostalgia reasons.😀

Frankly, I highly doubt the Devils will even consider it.  I honestly think my Mambo #5 suggestion has a better chance of making it than RnR pt 2.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Antiquated Colorado Rockie said:

Laine is better than a mediocre NHLer, no doubt about that. I'm just saying I'm concerned with his lack of improvement and commitment to other parts of the game. Most others are probably higher on him than me, I wouldn't sell the farm for Laine. 

But would you consider Severson and a few 1st (that we could get mostly back from Hall) as “selling the farm?” 

One of the premiere goal scorers in the league isn’t going to come cheap, but I think that’s a deal that doesn’t kill the team. As long as they get a couple 1st for Hall. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rock said:

I  didn't care that they dumped Rock and Roll part 2. But since I heard Nashville chant Hey you Suck, and we still yell it unofficially. I renominated Rock and Roll part 2 for nostalgia reasons.😀

They do that chant to Gold on the Ceiling by the Black Keys, not R&Rpt2