2019 Offseason Thread

Daniel

Just now, njbuff said:

You gotta think Palmieri would be one of the players going the other way in a Laine deal.

Wouldn't the Jets want some semblance of a goal scorer in return.

Palms can submit an eight-team no-trade list, for what that's worth.

I've mentioned it before, but one thing he made clear at his meet-and-greet event last season is that he LOVES New Jersey and this area.  Grew up in Montvale and it was obvious when he addressed the crowd how much NJ is truly home to him.  Much of his family is still there, and though he enjoyed his time with the Ducks, he also made it very clear how thrilled he was to be traded to the Devils at the time, as it meant he got to come back here. 

Sh!t happens, I'm not saying he couldn't ever possibly be traded (and depending on how things shake, the money may not be there to re-sign him in two years, when he can become a UFA), but I'd be surprised if he ever accepted being dealt to a place like Winnipeg.

Can't believe we are going through this goal song sh!t yet again. While I didn't think Howl was a great song for a goal song, you can't really clap to it and not enough people sing along it was finally getting more accepted and it was from a NJ band so it was perfectly fine. 

That being said I would like to see us try something different and just blast the hell out of the goal horn and just let the crowd cheer. We don't need to have a goal song. Throw in some Ric Flair WOOOOOOs instead since our crowd loves it lol

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, titans04 said:

same. The whole goal song thing is nonsense and a waste of time.  RIght up there with what's the best smelling mint cake in the pisser. WGAF?

I think we are going to hear it a lot this year so as long as it's somewhat decent I don't care what it is. I just have no faith that they will pick anything remotely good. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

supposedly its 3 EC teams that are in talks for him, again its not that I don't want him on this team he would be a great addition and we would be lethal, I just don't understand how we could afford him unless hall is on his way out the door.

I’m worried Columbus is one of the teams. They need to do something after the exodus up there this offseason.

As for Hall leaving, that seems likelier by the day...

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

I’m worried Columbus is one of the teams. They need to do something after the exodus up there this offseason.

As for Hall leaving, that seems likelier by the day...

They have very little they can afford to trade in their position to get a deal like this done.... not saying they couldn’t pull it off, but Winnipeg probably won’t be giving Laine away.

8 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

MTL and the Islanders has been rumoured to be after Laine quite a bit so maybe it's those 2 and us. who knows

MTL would be terrible for him if he’s already putting a lot of pressure on himself when he’s not scoring...

57 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

MTL would be terrible for him if he’s already putting a lot of pressure on himself when he’s not scoring...

could be amazing... since they'd have to give a lot (rumours were that Domi had to be the main piece going back) and if Laine sh!t the bed there... fvck MTL

8 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

could be amazing... since they'd have to give a lot (rumours were that Domi had to be the main piece going back) and if Laine sh!t the bed there... fvck MTL

Well, I like Laine a lot so I don’t want to see that. Would love to see him on the Devils if we can’t keep Hall. 

I feel like Hall may sign in the next few weeks or so, or even a few weeks into the season, and if/when it does happen, from his standpoint it'll be a case of "What were you guys so worried about?  I knew we'd get it done.  No rush, and it's all taken care of now."  

I know there are valid reasons for us to be mildly concerned, but I also feel like the off-season, with not much going on or to keep us occupied, has intensified the nerves to the point where we make it seem more dire and gloom and doom than it really is.  I still have faith that he wants to be here and will sign long term.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I feel like Hall may sign in the next few weeks or so, or even a few weeks into the season, and if/when it does happen, from his standpoint it'll be a case of "What were you guys so worried about?  I knew we'd get it done.  No rush, and it's all taken care of now."  

I know there are valid reasons for us to be mildly concerned, but I also feel like the off-season, with not much going on or to keep us occupied, has intensified the nerves to the point where we make it seem more dire and gloom and doom than it really is.  I still have faith that he wants to be here and will sign long term.

I hope you’re right. But I have seen zero signs of that.

Edited by mfitz804

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

I hope you’re right. But I have seen zero signs of that.

To be fair, we've seen zero signs of anything, either way. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

This is essentially why I feel the way I do.  Maybe I'm an eternal optimist, but I'd prefer to be positive rather than negative, and since we've seen nothing at all, might as well remain hopeful.  Now if we had seen or heard something from his agent, maybe some family or friends, or even Taylor himself, in regards to the process, maybe being frustrated about the negotiations, or just that he is ready to move on, then sure I'd feel differently.

Glass half full or glass half empty, I suppose.

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

This is essentially why I feel the way I do.  Maybe I'm an eternal optimist, but I'd prefer to be positive rather than negative, and since we've seen nothing at all, might as well remain hopeful.  Now if we had seen or heard something from his agent, maybe some family or friends, or even Taylor himself, in regards to the process, maybe being frustrated about the negotiations, or just that he is ready to move on, then sure I'd feel differently.

Glass half full or glass half empty, I suppose.

Yeah, this is pretty much where I am...of course, sometimes you hear sh!t from both sides (or from "sources close to"), and it seems like there's an impasse that will never be bridged...and then the next thing you know, both sides are shaking hands and smiling great big smiles and talking about how happy they are to have gotten this done.  So even if it seemed like negotiations were becoming contentious, I wouldn't necessarily think Hall was outta here. 

I can't honestly say that have any leanings towards positively or negatively, because I've been given literally NOTHING to go on.  BUT, at least with preseason about to begin, it's hard to think that it won't be end of a whole lotta nothin'.  At the very least, we'll probably soon know if there's been any talk at all (and if so, how productive it's been).  The one thing I just don't have much interest in at this point is trying to fill the empty space with guessing and speculation; yes, in some ways this dead air has felt endless, but I find it impossible to think we won't have some idea where things by mid-September or so.  Shero (and especially Hall) are going to be too accessible not to have these questions asked...who knows if we'll like the answers, but they'll be better than nothing. 

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Right. So drawing an opinion as to whether he will or will not re-sign at this point is based on pure speculation and fantasy. There’s nothing to suggest he will sign in the next few days, weeks, months or at all. 

The lone thing I’ve seen which could reveal some info is the Laine trade rumor. That would trend toward the other direction .

Of course, that trade rumor could also be speculation and fantasy. All I’m saying is we heard it, not that it’s accurate. 

Just now, mfitz804 said:

Right. So drawing an opinion as to whether he will or will not re-sign at this point is based on pure speculation and fantasy. There’s nothing to suggest he will sign in the next few days, weeks, months or at all. 

The lone thing I’ve seen which could reveal some info is the Laine trade rumor. That would trend toward the other direction .

Of course, that trade rumor could also be speculation and fantasy. All I’m saying is we heard it, not that it’s accurate. 

Read my last post...it's pretty much the bolded said in a lot more words.  That's where I am.  I can't do what some are trying to do...read into the silence one way or another. 

Just now, MB3 said:

What have you seen signs of, then, in the other direction? 

I'm neither optimistic nor pessimistic about getting Hall signed. But I am confident as hell in Shero and I know that he'll make the best moves for our franchise. 

Me too.  I've said it before, but the guy has done a hell of job building something from very little, at two levels.  No, the team hasn't accomplished anything yet, but there's pieces now (some like MoJo didn't quite work out as hoped), and Shero has shown some serious creativity in bringing some of them in...and not jumping the gun with any quick-fix moves.  Got a little lucky too (nice to get the opportunity to pick first in two drafts in a three-year span, especially when one of those players is expected to be a true top-of-the-liner), but yeah, I couldn't be more confident in him right now.