2019 Offseason Thread

Daniel

54 minutes ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

All that list shows is that he is even dumber to turn down the 11 mil deal. He's rolling in cash, so why not sign the 'team friendly' (er not really) deal to try and keep the team competitive?

Or maybe he doesn't care about winning.

Seriously, I can't stand the Patriots, but just look at the model that Tom Brady sets of how to build a winner.  Take a bit less cash, sign more and better players, keep winning, then make a second fortune with endorsements, and a third fortune with a model wife.

The tide is turning here - public favor is really turning against him.  

If/when he signs and if/when he comes out of the gate slow.. you can bet the boo-birds will be out in full force.

Whose going to opening night?

Not sure if I can yet.  Was actually given tickets to a comedy show but may try to get out of it.  Normally I wouldn’t be putting so much pressure on myself to go, especially if they didn’t have an offseason like the one they just have, but def want to be there for the introduction of this roster.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

Seriously, I can't stand the Patriots, but just look at the model that Tom Brady sets of how to build a winner.  Take a bit less cash, sign more and better players, keep winning, then make a second fortune with endorsements, and a third fortune with a model wife.

To be clear about Brady, he's NEVER taking less money when he restructures his deal every year. He is consistently one of the highest paid QB's in the league on a year by year basis and gets all his money - he just allows the Pats to keep kicking the eventual MASSIVE cap hit down the road until he's done.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/08/tom-brady-contract-extension-details-patriots-bill-belichick

https://www.masslive.com/patriots/2019/08/tom-brady-contract-extension-why-the-patriots-qb-is-still-on-a-1-year-deal-gronks-potential-impact-and-is-a-trade-coming-andrew-callahan.html

14 minutes ago, ajsgolf said:

Whose going to opening night?

Not sure if I can yet.  Was actually given tickets to a comedy show but may try to get out of it.  Normally I wouldn’t be putting so much pressure on myself to go, especially if they didn’t have an offseason like the one they just have, but def want to be there for the introduction of this roster.

Going with my 11-year-old daughter.  Hard to believe how quickly it's coming.

• Like 1

I'll be there too, the home opener is going to be electric this year. The past 2 have been awesome but this one really seems like it's going to feel like a playoff atmosphere. If Hall signs before the game it will be even more crazy. I can't wait. 

I thought our atmosphere last year for most of the season was really good considering how bad the team was. 

35 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I'll be there too, the home opener is going to be electric this year. The past 2 have been awesome but this one really seems like it's going to feel like a playoff atmosphere. If Hall signs before the game it will be even more crazy. I can't wait. 

I thought our atmosphere last year for most of the season was really good considering how bad the team was. 

Conversely, if he doesn't sign, we're likely to get a "We want Arnott," type chant directed at Hall...atmosphere will be crazy regardless. 

5 hours ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

according to TSN, Marner turned down 11 mill for seven years.

If that is true... omg what an idiot.  That deal is directly in line with his abilities.

Edit:
Article isn't clear if that is $11 per year for seven or 8 years

Either way, there is no excusable reason to turn that down.

I hope he rots out of season like Nylander last year

Everyone calling this dumb is playing checkers while him and his agent are playing chess.  If you could negotiate a short term deal for good money, which will lead to a 2nd larger payday you do that all day long.  

1 hour ago, bobilly45 said:

Everyone calling this dumb is playing checkers while him and his agent are playing chess.  If you could negotiate a short term deal for good money, which will lead to a 2nd larger payday you do that all day long.  

Sure and by that logic he’d be even smarter to hold out for 25 mill a year. Hes not playing chess. He’s turning down a very good fair deal by taking a risk that he improves, doesn’t get injured and that the cap goes up a ton. If it all works out in his favor, great. But he’s a greedy son of a bitch and will cost his team down the road. 

16 minutes ago, devlman said:

Sure and by that logic he’d be even smarter to hold out for 25 mill a year. Hes not playing chess. He’s turning down a very good fair deal by taking a risk that he improves, doesn’t get injured and that the cap goes up a ton. If it all works out in his favor, great. But he’s a greedy son of a bitch and will cost his team down the road. 

He’d be pretty stupid to hold out for $25m since it’s double McDavid’s and exceeds the max pay. 

Otherwise yes, he’s taking a risk with his health and hoping he can score a bigger deal down the line. I don’t think it’s a great idea, $11m guaranteed is a lot, but an extra couple mil a year times 7-8 years down the road, can end up being a lot of money. 

That said, he is being greedy where his two elite teammates are making $11m and $11.6m. 

Matthews could make extra money by renting out space on his enormous forehead. C669404C-ECAB-4773-8F51-EDA524897C43.jpeg.785b611bc0f3a676183655aff525edf6.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bobilly45 said:

and sometimes you have to realize that your agent is only it for themselves. 11 million is more than fair, and even at that still handcuffs the leafs.

Is it better to sit 6 months to hold out and have a craptacular year, then get put out in the first round vs Boston again? I donk think so, but ask Nylander.

6 minutes ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

and sometimes you have to realize that your agent is only it for themselves. 11 million is more than fair, and even at that still handcuffs the leafs.

Is it better to sit 6 months to hold out and have a craptacular year, then get put out in the first round vs Boston again? I donk think so, but ask Nylander.

How do you know it is his agent and not him?

4 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

How do you know it is his agent and not him?

Agreed. If he wanted to sign an $11m/7 year deal, it would be signed. His agent isn’t going to “convince” him not to sign a multimillion dollar deal. 

After all, the agent gets paid based on the deal obtained, and there’s no guarantee in 3-5 years his current agent will still be employed by him. 

4 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

I will be there as well. Wouldn’t miss it.

• Like 1