2019 Offseason Thread

Daniel

1 minute ago, DevsMan84 said:

Meh the way I see it if you can drop $15 on frozen chicken tenders and $12 on terrible domestic beer without batting an eye then $8 is not really a big deal.

That's another whole thing I'm disappointed that the team hasn't picked up on yet. Fan friendly concession stand prices keep showing up in more and more stadiums and arenas across the country and results have showed that these places are pulling in more revenue from concessions than ever before. People don't mind getting inside earlier and spending some money because they don't feel like they are being ripped off. 

I would spend money on concessions if we adapted that but until we do I'll continue to not spend a dime on anything there. 

1 minute ago, Satans Hockey said:

That's another whole thing I'm disappointed that the team hasn't picked up on yet. Fan friendly concession stand prices keep showing up in more and more stadiums and arenas across the country and results have showed that these places are pulling in more revenue from concessions than ever before. People don't mind getting inside earlier and spending some money because they don't feel like they are being ripped off. 

I would spend money on concessions if we adapted that but until we do I'll continue to not spend a dime on anything there. 

I agree and maybe it is just a matter of time before the Devils pick up on that trend.  I am not going to completely lose out hope on that happening, but in the NY metro area that trend hasn't caught on yet (that I know of).

Plus with the current menu selection at the arena, there are very few food items that even a $5-6 max would entice me to eat them still.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Meh the way I see it if you can drop $15 on frozen chicken tenders and $12 on terrible domestic beer without batting an eye then $8 is not really a big deal.

Honestly, I wouldn’t want to carry my bag around the arena. I drive to games, so if I were going right from work, I would leave my change of clothes in the car. I get that a lot of people take the train and don’t have that luxury. 

And the real problem it’s not the concession prices, it’s that the food is absolute crap. Every other sporting event I have been to in the last five years has been at a stadium or arena with much better concessions. 

Chico’s opinions notwithstanding. 

49 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Also with this new bag policy you can apparently pay for lockers if you have to, really sucks for people coming from work and the team/league really can afford to provide free lockers if they want to go this route... 

Leave the work bag in the trunk, or have 1 less beer.   Really not a big deal.

5 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I’m sure. Your reasoning is extremely rational, but I still find it annoying that they would air nothing as opposed to something. I mean, we all pay to have those channels, and most of us it’s for one reason. Why not go ahead and give the people paying for it what they came for?

His was rational,  your reasoning is not.  Prob .000000002 of cable viewers would be looking for tonight's game, and advertisers are not exactly thrilled with spending money for few eyes.  Few eyes means less potential $ for them, which means they don't buy ad space, and that's less $ for msg.  Loss of ad revenue, plus paying everyone to work and produce a hockey game that not many will see is a net loss.    This is why msg would rather buy the TV rights from another broadcaster for preseason (ie the isles using the Philadelphia comcast feed) bc in the end msg loses less that way,

Some teams don't have any preseason games on TV, so be lucky we have some TV games.

10 minutes ago, bobilly45 said:

His was rational,  your reasoning is not.  

Are you new here? When am I EVER rational??

All I’m saying is, it annoys me to have dead air when there could be a game on. They make PLENTY of money during the season on numerous sports teams. Throw the paying fans a bone and broadcast the games, even if it’s one of those lame feeds with no play by play. 

4 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Honestly, I wouldn’t want to carry my bag around the arena. I drive to games, so if I were going right from work, I would leave my change of clothes in the car. I get that a lot of people take the train and don’t have that luxury. 

And the real problem it’s not the concession prices, it’s that the food is absolute crap. Every other sporting event I have been to in the last five years has been at a stadium or arena with much better concessions. 

Chico’s opinions notwithstanding. 

That's sad to hear that. There are so may venues that offer such great food.  We can, too.  (considering what is paid for it)

17 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Chico’s opinions notwithstanding

Now that I think of it, you’re 100% right. This summer I was in Cleveland and Atlanta for baseball games and their food was significantly better. Hell, even the goddamn Montgomery Biscuits had better food choices than we do, and they’re a AA baseball team

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

Now that I think of it, you’re 100% right. This summer I was in Cleveland and Atlanta for baseball games and their food was significantly better. Hell, even the goddamn Montgomery Biscuits had better food choices than we do, and they’re a AA baseball team

Definitely true. I am constantly disappointed, yet since I am usually going there directly from work, I usually haven't eaten and I eat it anyway. 

29 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I’ve only eaten at the Rock once, but yeah, it was definitely nothing special. 

Why don’t they at least have NJ/NY pizza there? 

Best food by far I've eaten at the Rock was up in the Loft...got seats up there twice last season.  Now of course as soon as I tell my daughter that I got us tix, right away she asks "Did you get them in the Loft?"  I've told her not to expect those seats often.   

The Club Seats buffet (former Fire and Ice Lounges) is pretty good, especially depending on what's at the carving stations, but I definitely wouldn't call it amazing...especially when you factor in the price.  I find the problem with buffets is you almost feel like you HAVE to stuff yourself to the hilt to feel like you got your money's worth, and the fact is there's only really so much that you can eat AND actually enjoy before you're just eating for the sake of eating.  By the end of the second period, I'm going up there mostly because I feel like I should, and not because I really want any more chow.  

I don't really bother with the concourse stuff that much, even when those are my only options at a game...is the food really that meh?  I bought my daughter chicken fingers and fries from somewhere in there, and I thought those were actually pretty good. 

14 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Best food by far I've eaten at the Rock was up in the Loft...got seats up there twice last season.  Now of course as soon as I tell my daughter that I got us tix, right away she asks "Did you get them in the Loft?"  I've told her not to expect those seats often.   

The Club Seats buffet (former Fire and Ice Lounges) is pretty good, especially depending on what's at the carving stations, but I definitely wouldn't call it amazing...especially when you factor in the price.  I find the problem with buffets is you almost feel like you HAVE to stuff yourself to the hilt to feel like you got your money's worth, and the fact is there's only really so much that you can eat AND actually enjoy before you're just eating for the sake of eating.  By the end of the second period, I'm going up there mostly because I feel like I should, and not because I really want any more chow.  

I don't really bother with the concourse stuff that much, even when those are my only options at a game...is the food really that meh?  I bought my daughter chicken fingers and fries from somewhere in there, and I thought those were actually pretty good. 

I only eat at the arena if I absolutely must.  The fries are constantly soggy, the chicken tenders are decent when they are actually cooked (people have posted pictures of chicken tenders they got that were raw inside), the burgers are dried out messes, etc.  Popcorn is alright but it is salted to oblivion and frankly I haven't tried a whole lot else due to not being worth it in my eyes or just not looking appetizing.  I did try that cookie dough stand last year and thought it was terrible.  All I tasted was sugar on top of sugar.

• Sad 1

Speaking of food...I've got restaurant ledge seats for the Home Opener on 10/4, and again on 10/19.  I haven't been there since the very early days at the Rock.  How's the buffet there (what kind of offerings)?  Do they still have a menu as well?  Website only says "upscale" offerings, not much info at all.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I’m not sure if this was posted or not but here is a rumour I saw.

The Calgary Flames continue to work on the new contract for RFA, Matthew Tkachuk and it appears they may need to shed some salary to make it work. The Flames have held trade discussions with the New Jersey Devils to do, exactly that.

According to Luke Fox of Sportsnet, the Calgary Flames have informed teams defenseman TJ Brodie is available and the New Jersey Devils are interested. The Devils continue the make over to their roster and are looking for an offensive defenseman from the left side to compliment their group.

Calgary in return is believed to have targeted Devils versatile forward, Blake Coleman in discussions.

Coleman finished last season with 22 goals and 36 points, and is making $1.8 million the next two seasons.Meanwhile, Brodie is a steady two-way defender who tallied 34 points, also finished the year +29, which was amongst the league lead.

A potential deal one for one would save the Flames roughly $2.8 million and give them more flexibility with Tkachuk's new contract. Brodie holds a modified trade clause, having to submit 8 teams to the management group. However, with the potential of New Jersey's offense this season, Brodie's appeal would certainly be sparked.

Notice that the poster didn't offer the link on where he saw the rumor. 

It's this sh!t site:  https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2019/09/rumor-calgary-flames-and-new-jersey.html

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

12 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Notice that the poster didn't offer the link on where he saw the rumor. 

It's this sh!t site:  https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2019/09/rumor-calgary-flames-and-new-jersey.html

Ah is that the same one that had us shipping four 1st round picks to the Jets for Laine?

Yeahhhhhhhhh I dunno about that site.

Edit: Plus the guy averages <10 goals and 35 points a season more or less.. uhh offensive defenseman? 

Edited by Devilsfan118

Just now, Devilsfan118 said:

Ah is that the same one that had us shipping four 1st round picks to the Jets for Laine?

Yeahhhhhhhhh I dunno about that site.

Edit: Plus the guy averages <10 goals and 35 points a season more or less.. uhh offensive defenseman? 

Not to mention that the Devils already have PK, Vatanen, Severson, Butcher, and Smith (assuming he makes the team), all of whom can be expected to provide some offense (and Greene, Carrick, and Mueller are also in the fold as the "non-offensive" guys).  Brodie will also be a UFA after this season (as will Vatanen)...I could understand this move if the Devils suffered a slew of injuries or had another move in the works, but obviously everyone's healthy for the moment, and I think Shero's probably OK with sitting back for now and seeing what his players can do...not like he didn't have a busy offseason already.

One thing that I'll say about Brodie that might appeal to the Devils is that he doesn't miss many games...he's averaged a tick below 78 GP per season over the last six years.  But the whole article just feels like some wanna-be (not very good at that) sportswriter just spitballing aloud, and trying to make it sound more legit than it really is.

Meanwhile you've a cost-controlled and cost-effective Coleman here for two more years...not saying that he's untouchable, but not anxious to trade him for a guy who might only be here for a year anyway. 

11 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Meanwhile you've a cost-controlled and cost-effective Coleman here for two more years...not saying that he's untouchable, but not anxious to trade him for a guy who might only be here for a year anyway. 

I agree. You only do that if you think TJ Brodie is the guy you need to make it deep into the playoffs. i don't think that's the case. 

Unless, of course, there was an extension worked out. 

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

That Coleman-Brodie rumor originally came from a Sportsnet guy- that site was just regurgitating in this case. Not saying it’s legit, but it did originate from a mainstream source.

That's fair, and that info is in the article...the writer did cite the source.  I'd still be surprised if it happened, unless another move was happening along with it.  It almost feels like it'd be one move too many for now, unless Shero just really likes Brodie that much. 

11 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

That's fair, and that info is in the article...the writer did cite the source.  I'd still be surprised if it happened, unless another move was happening along with it.  It almost feels like it'd be one move too many for now, unless Shero just really likes Brodie that much. 

Id have to assume he would try to move Mueller or something if he gets Brodie.