Jump to content

2019 Offseason Thread


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Damn... my only comeback to this is really arrogant... That will not help my case... 

Daniel, you've been watching pro sports long enough to know that GMs don't often make for great interviews...they don't tend to spell out what they're going to do, and a lot of times fall back on vagu

Posted Images

50 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Kinda quiet regarding Devils so far.   I personally don't feel like Ray needs to make a huge splash today, so I don't mind if nothing comes down.  That being said,  I think the two guys that could make sense would be Anders Lee (To Montreal?) and Jake Gardnier.   I know Gardnier had a couple of brutal Game 7's the last two years but he's still a pretty damn good offensive LD.     

Yeah, I don't expect any major moves from us either.  Looking at the guys available, I think Nyqvist and/or Zucc make the most sense, and they don't have to happen today. 

7 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

 

My buddy who works for CBJ said the Asst. GM told him the offer to Panarin that he declined was 8yrs 12.5M.  Seems that extra year isn't important to him, and he'll probably be getting almost the same amount of money regardless of where he goes (if it does end up being NYI).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Shero is clearly sticking to his plan...he either wants to trade for someone who's already cost-controlled (and if possible, for a player who's a little younger than a typical UFA), or wants to give young inexpensive players from within a shot to be great value for a few years...he'll go for lower-tier UFAs, but I don't think at this stage that he ever had any interest in trying to reel in the most expensive fish.  Can't argue this logic, really...I have a feeling that the Devils' seemingly endless cap space is going to get eaten up a little quicker than we think, especially if all goes according to plan (basically enough youngins succeed over the next 2-3 years that the Devils have to pay up).   

Or to put it another way:  as far as that 2019 offseason goes, Shero brings in Hughes (yes, he had a lot of luck in getting the #1 pick), deals for Subban, and sometime before the season starts, re-signs Hall to a big extension...along with some decent but not backpage-grabbing moves.  I can definitely live with that. 

Of course, being that it's Shero and that he's about as stealthy as it gets (and has a way of being so under-the-radar with his moves that not even inside sources ever seem to know what he's really up to), I have a feeling his surprise move this offseason will be to offer sheet someone.  Just a fan's hunch. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I'd be very content if we came away with Gustav Nyquist on a reasonable deal and called it a day.

Some of these numbers being thrown around are.. insane.  I just cannot believe the numbers being thrown around for Bob and Panarin.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I think I'd be very content if we came away with Gustav Nyquist on a reasonable deal and called it a day.

Some of these numbers being thrown around are.. insane.  I just cannot believe the numbers being thrown around for Bob and Panarin.

I don't trust Bob for sh!t.   Up until this year, he was awful in the playoffs the few times the Blue Jackets made it and he's kind of been up and down from year to year despite the two Vezinas.   I think that has the potential to be a regrettable deal from day 1.  Also, Spencer Knight should be ready in 3 or 4 years.  Not sure what Tallon is doing here.   

Link to post
Share on other sites

So, question before all the news breaks (or becomes official I guess):

Reportedly Carolina offered Aho only 7.5M x 8 years.  They countered with 9.5M AAV.  

Would you offer sheet him in the 9-10MM range?  Compensation is only 2x1st, 2nd, 3rd.  I know we're stacked at center (or hopefully will be) but.. boy I'd kill to have Aho as our 1C.

Edit: We traded our 2nd next year for Subban.  Moot point. Doh.

Edited by Devilsfan118
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Devilsfan118 said:

So, question before all the news breaks (or becomes official I guess):

Reportedly Carolina offered Aho only 7.5M x 8 years.  They countered with 9.5M AAV.  

Would you offer sheet him in the 9-10MM range?  Compensation is only 2x1st, 2nd, 3rd.  I know we're stacked at center (or hopefully will be) but.. boy I'd kill to have Aho as our 1C.

I wouldn’t want to see either Hughes or Nico wasted playing 3C. 

Players taken that high need to be top 6. Unless you’re Nolan Patrick. :P

Much rather go after a winger if we’re going to do something crazy. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

So, question before all the news breaks (or becomes official I guess):

Reportedly Carolina offered Aho only 7.5M x 8 years.  They countered with 9.5M AAV.  

Would you offer sheet him in the 9-10MM range?  Compensation is only 2x1st, 2nd, 3rd.  I know we're stacked at center (or hopefully will be) but.. boy I'd kill to have Aho as our 1C.

Edit: We traded our 2nd next year for Subban.  Moot point. Doh.

Stud Cs but no wings? I am not sure. If you have 3 centers like Aho, Nico, and Hughes one of them is going to be under utilized just due to ice time constants.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

So, question before all the news breaks (or becomes official I guess):

Reportedly Carolina offered Aho only 7.5M x 8 years.  They countered with 9.5M AAV.  

Would you offer sheet him in the 9-10MM range?  Compensation is only 2x1st, 2nd, 3rd.  I know we're stacked at center (or hopefully will be) but.. boy I'd kill to have Aho as our 1C.

Edit: We traded our 2nd next year for Subban.  Moot point. Doh.

Seems like a good move for someone to try but not sure we should get into that given Hughes/Hischier.   Seems like Canadiens might be up to something on that front though.  

Edit: Seems like part of the sticking point with Aho and a lot of these other RFAs is that they only want 5 year deal so they can cash in when the cap goes up.   Giving up a lot of assets on a five year deal is risky.   

Edited by Lateralous
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

So, question before all the news breaks (or becomes official I guess):

Reportedly Carolina offered Aho only 7.5M x 8 years.  They countered with 9.5M AAV.  

Would you offer sheet him in the 9-10MM range?  Compensation is only 2x1st, 2nd, 3rd.  I know we're stacked at center (or hopefully will be) but.. boy I'd kill to have Aho as our 1C.

Edit: We traded our 2nd next year for Subban.  Moot point. Doh.

Unless Nico is part of a trade for a franchise caliber defenseman, no. Nico and Hughes are 1 and 2. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I know the Leafs desperately need cap space and defenseman so dumping the Zaitsev contract and getting Ceci back made sense.   Re-signing Cody Ceci for 4.5 million does not.   Even for one year, that seems like a lot for a bottom pairing guy

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2019 at 2:09 AM, Anhkheg said:

 

We got lucky with our picks and the availability of all the RFAs and UFAs in this cap strapped era. I sure as hell want Jack Hughes to sign for 8y@10m or even 11m as his (expected) return will be high, but Taylor Hall is simply not worth the price tag. I will however, agree to sign him to a 5y @9 mill contract in this cap era or worst case 7@8.5 mill.

 

But he won't and Shero is not Chiarelli-level stupid to offer him such a lowball contract extension.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, titans04 said:

Booo, big loss here.

 

Not for nothing, but that may be the most awkward proposal picture I have ever seen. Neither one of them looks comfortable. #BadBodyLanguage. 

There could still be a chance for some of you boys. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, MB3 said:

I know you’re saying it in jest, but I’m a well adjusted and gainfully employed married male on the good side of 30.

Just because you (not Mfitz in particular) think 11pm bedtimes and reruns of the Big Bang theory is fun for a Friday doesn’t mean that others do. 

Just because you think that your local TGI Friday’s half app happy hour constitutes “nightlife” doesn’t mean others do. 

Just because you wouldn’t spend a Friday night out with gorgeous women and famous DJs in incredible nightclubs doesn’t mean others wouldn’t. 

Its silly and reckless to pretend that you know what he wants. He’s making a decision about the next decade of his life. If he’s going to be happier making a few bucks less but able to see Alesso at LIV on a random Thursday, that’s what he’ll do. That doesn’t mean he has a problem, and hinting at it suggest that you do.

I know you said not me in particular, but I have to respond anyway. 

1) By 11pm on a Friday, I am usually in a fvcking coma. 

2) Big Bang Theory was a good show, and you can totally watch the repeats over and over again. And not just because I understand most of the science. 

3) I am not a Friday's fan. But if you like full price apps over half price apps, who's got the problem here, buddy??

4) When are we taking our wives (the aforementioned gorgeous women) out to see that dude with the fvcking mouse head at this awesome club?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Shero is clearly sticking to his plan...he either wants to trade for someone who's already cost-controlled (and if possible, for a player who's a little younger than a typical UFA), or wants to give young inexpensive players from within a shot to be great value for a few years...he'll go for lower-tier UFAs, but I don't think at this stage that he ever had any interest in trying to reel in the most expensive fish.  Can't argue this logic, really...I have a feeling that the Devils' seemingly endless cap space is going to get eaten up a little quicker than we think, especially if all goes according to plan (basically enough youngins succeed over the next 2-3 years that the Devils have to pay up).   

Or to put it another way:  as far as that 2019 offseason goes, Shero brings in Hughes (yes, he had a lot of luck in getting the #1 pick), deals for Subban, and sometime before the season starts, re-signs Hall to a big extension...along with some decent but not backpage-grabbing moves.  I can definitely live with that. 

Of course, being that it's Shero and that he's about as stealthy as it gets (and has a way of being so under-the-radar with his moves that not even inside sources ever seem to know what he's really up to), I have a feeling his surprise move this offseason will be to offer sheet someone.  Just a fan's hunch. 

Whats frustrating though is that i just know that for some entitled fans, the dust already settled from the hughes and subban acquisition and will sh!t on Shero if he's not signing a big name. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

I wouldn’t want to see either Hughes or Nico wasted playing 3C. 

Players taken that high need to be top 6. Unless you’re Nolan Patrick. :P

Much rather go after a winger if we’re going to do something crazy. 

Yup, that's basically it. Aho is great, Anders Lee is ok, and we have no place to put either of them. I am very happy about that. 

We need to spend it on wings & D, like someone trying to hook up at Friday's on 1/2 price app night. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

I know you said not me in particular, but I have to respond anyway. 

1) By 11pm on a Friday, I am usually in a fvcking coma. 

2) Big Bang Theory was a good show, and you can totally watch the repeats over and over again. And not just because I understand most of the science. 

3) I am not a Friday's fan. But if you like full price apps over half price apps, who's got the problem here, buddy??

4) When are we taking our wives (the aforementioned gorgeous women) out to see that dude with the fvcking mouse head at this awesome club?

This all makes sense. 

Except the Big Bang Theory part. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SterioDesign said:

Whats frustrating though is that i just know that for some entitled fans, the dust already settled from the hughes and subban acquisition and will sh!t on Shero if he's not signing a big name. 

Oh yeah that's totally still going to happen. Could very well be that our big splash was already made. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Whats frustrating though is that i just know that for some entitled fans, the dust already settled from the hughes and subban acquisition and will sh!t on Shero if he's not signing a big name. 

These people are not bright. Ignore them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.